Nakhon Ratchasima vs Bangkok

Requiem

Hey there,

Some background:

I have been living in Bangkok for 7 months and I quite enjoyed it. I never been anywhere else in Thailand, except Koh Lipe so far. When I was choosing where to live before coming to land of smiles, I was only considering Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Chose BKK because of better accessibility, metro & skytrain, more things to do and due to Chiang Mai's infamous smoke pollution.

My thai girlfriend, whom I know for 3 months is from Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat city) and wants me to live with her in Nakhon when I come back to Thailand in October or November.

I work online remotely.

My question(s):

(I'd love to hear from Nakhon residents (those who live in the city). It would be perfect if you have experienced life in BKK too)

- Which city do you prefer and why?

- I assume Nakhon is cheaper than BKK. I'm currently making 50,000 thb/month - is it enough to live comfortably in Nakhon? I prefer a nice condo than a house. In BKK I used to pay 18,000 thb/month for rent, which I think was too much for me.

- How is the weather in Nakhon?

- Is it easy to reach Don Mueng airport from Nakhon, since I will be travelling once every 2 months.

- Do you know where to find a nice condo for rent and how much it would cost? I'm thinking about 35 - 50 sq m modern condo.

- How is the traffic and commuting like? I don't drive, but my gf does and has a car.

Appreciate your help!

Req

The very frequent bus services from Korat to Bangkok all stop at Don Muang. Allow about 3 hours depending on traffic. There are now many new Condos for rent in Korat. I have no personal experience of the rental costs of these, but I have friends that rent a 2 x bedroom house for less than half of the rent you presently pay in Bangkok. I'd suggest a 3-4 day fact-finding trip to the City to see for yourself, and to check out some accommodation for rent. The sum you mention should be adequate for a comfortable life in Korat, as many seem to survive on considerably less. The traffic in the city is not a selling point by any means, but there is low cost public transport available. The weather I'd say is slightly hotter than Bangkok in the summer, but a bit cooler in the winter. This year the weather has been all over the place however! Give it a try I'd suggest. Feel free to PM for any more information.

Lot of improvements, Terminal 21, Central is coming, New Big C, and The Mall is good, traffic is horrible, u can jump in minivan to don mueng from bus station or take bus, restaurants are lacking, but getting better, suepsiri rd is gonna be a Hotspot, not far from one of the Biggest Nitemarkets in Thailand Save-One Nitemarket,I think has drone footage on YouTube

Edited by Ireland32

You cannot compare Korat and Bangkok it is like comparing chalk and cheese.

Bangkok is a major metropolis and Korat is just a overgrown country town.

Agree with that entirely!

You will pay much less for a comparable standard of living than you currently do in BKK. However you will not find the same level of amenities and infrastructure. Traffic is pretty awful - but not quite as gridlocked as BKK usually seems to be. The local food to my mind is better than BKK - but I like hot and spicy. The weather, is often hotter than BKK in Summer but I find the air is cleaner and less humid. English language is spoken even less than it is in BKK. Unless you have at least basic Thai language skills you are going to struggle with communication unless you have your g\f constantly with you. Farang are much rarer in this region than BKK or the 'tourist' areas - be prepared to be stared at, a lot ;-)

As somebody else has already said - the only way to be sure whether it is for you is to try it for a week or so before you burn your bridges in BKK.

Edited by Shadychris

I live in Phimai 60 kms away but regularly go to Korat for shopping trips,but there's little else in the city or even the whole region to enjoy. An Olympic pool in the Mall shopping centre with horrendous parking and a tired zoo but with an OK water park,and a night market,but that's it. Geographically it's a flat rather featureless region until you get to Kao Yai national park,but that's halfway to Bangkok anyway.Others have made good points but on balance I'd say a place you'd tire of quickly and at least in Bangkok (which I don't like anyway) you've more options to get away

I live in Phimai 60 kms away but regularly go to Korat for shopping trips,but there's little else in the city or even the whole region to enjoy. An Olympic pool in the Mall shopping centre with horrendous parking and a tired zoo but with an OK water park,and a night market,but that's it. Geographically it's a flat rather featureless region until you get to Kao Yai national park,but that's halfway to Bangkok anyway.Others have made good points but on balance I'd say a place you'd tire of quickly and at least in Bangkok (which I don't like anyway) you've more options to get away

Thanks for all the advices to everyone.

What would you think is the best town in Thailand then, apart from Bangkok and Chiang Mai? :)

I think I will get bored with Nakhon eventually, that's true...

What would you think is the best town in Thailand then, apart from Bangkok and Chiang Mai? :)

. I Like Udon, Nong Khai is near, too, Issan Country though , I also like Rayong, and south, not far from choices,Pattaya, Bangkok

You cannot compare Korat and Bangkok it is like comparing chalk and cheese.

Bangkok is a major metropolis and Korat is just a overgrown country town.

Agree with that entirely!

You will pay much less for a comparable standard of living than you currently do in BKK. However you will not find the same level of amenities and infrastructure. Traffic is pretty awful - but not quite as gridlocked as BKK usually seems to be. The local food to my mind is better than BKK - but I like hot and spicy. The weather, is often hotter than BKK in Summer but I find the air is cleaner and less humid. English language is spoken even less than it is in BKK. Unless you have at least basic Thai language skills you are going to struggle with communication unless you have your g\f constantly with you. Farang are much rarer in this region than BKK or the 'tourist' areas - be prepared to be stared at, a lot ;-)

As somebody else has already said - the only way to be sure whether it is for you is to try it for a week or so before you burn your bridges in BKK.

There is no comparison to Bangkok, lived there for a year and in Hua Hin for five years, life here is so much cheaper, I bought a house but have a friend living in Jo Ho ten minutes from the city who pays 6,000 baht for a nice three bedroom pad on a quiet street with good neighbours, there are good restraunts and bars though not the girlie type, good farang food shops and super markets, be aware it is much hotter here in the hot months.

If you have a good gf do not worry about moving here, though you will need to talk to some ex pats to find where e erything is,pm if you make the move , happy to help.

Being a resident myself of both cities I can honestly say that I prefer Korat as it is called here. For accommodation please check different apps and websites for a start. I found my living through DDPROPERTY. Most people I meet here speak some English. There is lot of foreigners since there is a many factories in the region. If you like football. Korat has a team that plays in the Thai Premier league. For food, you have many good that covers all different tastes. My favourite is Manhattan. It's easy to travel to BKK. About 3 to 4.5 hours. I prefer to take the train. If you want one advice it must be "socialize". Try to meet the locals and not only other farang.

What would you think is the best town in Thailand then, apart from Bangkok and Chiang Mai? smile.png

I don't think that anybody can give you the right tip. It all depens what kind of a nature you are. I like quiet places and live in a village 30 miles outside Korat and am pretty happy. If you have a car you can drive to korat to buy things you need. You don't necessarily need to live in a big city.

Foot note to earlier post, what nationality are you ? How old are you ? The most important things you left out.

What kind of visa will you use ? If indeed there is one that will fit your needs Also only earning around twelve thousand pounds a year is a very low income to play the world traveler , still wish you luck but I would do some serious thinking if I was in your shoes.

Foot note to earlier post, what nationality are you ? How old are you ? The most important things you left out.

What kind of visa will you use ? If indeed there is one that will fit your needs Also only earning around twelve thousand pounds a year is a very low income to play the world traveler , still wish you luck but I would do some serious thinking if I was in your shoes.

I'm EU, from Lithuania originally. 28 years old, will use METV.

I'm not playing world traveller :) Although I've been to many countries due to my previous job. My plan is to spend summer (June - September) in Europe and cold season in Thailand. METV visa works fine for that.

Yeah, 50,000 thb is not that much, I would much rather have 100,000 thb :) I think eventually I will earn it if I move to another job, but at the moment I love my current job :)

I'm not playing world traveller :) Although I've been to many countries due to my previous job. My plan is to spend summer (June - September) in Europe and cold season in Thailand. METV visa works fine for that.

Yeah, 50,000 thb is not that much, I would much rather have 100,000 thb :) I think eventually I will earn it if I move to another job, but at the moment I love my current job :)

฿50,000 is enough if you are not covering your GF costs. If you love your current job, that is the main thing. Just some advice, at 28 try to put some away for the future. If you like Korat after a couple of years, maybe you could buy a condo. That would give you some security, or maybe better one in your home country, that you could rent out. In 25 years it would be paid off and you would have a small income from it.

I have lived in Korat for 8 years now and it has grown considerably. I am retired so I live the quite life. There are many expats up here and you will not find it hard to meets some friendly residents. There is a local night life if you like clubbing but most of the places cater to Thais. Not much outside activities unless you like to golf.

Weather is much better up here. Clean air and less humidity. You can catch a bus from the Korat bus terminal to Bangkok and they will stop at Don Muang Airport. Usually a 4 hour trip for about 200 baht.

If you are living on 50,000 baht a month in Bangkok you can increase you lifestyle up here or save some money.

If you stay any length of time with your g/f you might end up in Korat if this is where were parents live. ALWAYS remember that her family will come first.

Thanks for your reply, wish I was your age, I do hope things work out for you, before I retired here I also spent a few winter months every year in Thailand, your command of English tells mr your a smart guy and surely will excell in life, however beware of Thai females this forum is full of horror stories, however on reflection your age is in your favor but it would be prudent of me to warn you of your gfs parents, they maybe lovely people but they may also view you as the goose that lays golden eggs, good luck.

Lot of improvements, Terminal 21, Central is coming, New Big C, and The Mall is good, traffic is horrible, u can jump in minivan to don mueng from bus station or take bus, restaurants are lacking, but getting better, suepsiri rd is gonna be a Hotspot, not far from one of the Biggest Nitemarkets in Thailand Save-One Nitemarket,I think has drone footage on YouTube

I have seen the site for the new tesco but where are they building a new big c.

Being a resident myself of both cities I can honestly say that I prefer Korat as it is called here. For accommodation please check different apps and websites for a start. I found my living through DDPROPERTY. Most people I meet here speak some English. There is lot of foreigners since there is a many factories in the region. If you like football. Korat has a team that plays in the Thai Premier league. For food, you have many good that covers all different tastes. My favourite is Manhattan. It's easy to travel to BKK. About 3 to 4.5 hours. I prefer to take the train. If you want one advice it must be "socialize". Try to meet the locals and not only other farang.

Hope you answer mr what and where is the Manhattan, you can pm me if the mods think you are advertising.

. I didn't know about Tesco, maybe was reported wrong or I interpreted it as Big C, Thanks, il try googling , it was an article on improvements in Korat Edited by Ireland32

. I didn't know about Tesco, maybe was reported wrong or I interpreted it as Big C, Thanks, il try googling , it was an article on improvements in Korat
New full size Tesco being built in JoHo on highway 205 just past the highway 2 intersection as you are heading towards Korat.

Bangkok is a westernized metropolis. A beautiful and very big international city.

Korat is very Thai,or as some would say "real Thai". not international at all and few buildings over three stories tall.

Korat is not a beautiful city to look at and is not really a tourist destination, like Bangkok. ( that's a good thing if you like tourists as much as I do. )

but there are interesting destinations like the Phimai historical site and Kao Yai National Park ( wild life preserve ) within about an hours drive of the city.

I find Korat much more relaxing with much warmer, friendlier people and less likely to try to take advantage of an inexperienced foreigner.

You can find just about anything you seek in Korat, but it does take time to learn your way around and learn where to look for what you want.

Korat is a modern city, but in no way a westernized international city like Bangkok.

Naturally, it does pay to speak the Thai language in a city where most people are Thai and do not cater to westerners.

I also like Bangkok a lot too..

It is big , fast p-aced , exciting and a more convenient place to live if you are not comfortable with a Thai life style.

As others have mentions, it is a great idea to spend some time checking out Korat ( BTW, when did people start calling it Nahkon"???***) and having a girl friend from the area will make it much easier to learn your way around the city.

Both are good places to live, but both are very different and serve different needs.

*** Nahkon is a poor choice of a nickname for any city in Thailand since there are many cities in the country who's name starts with the word Nahkon.

Nahkon Ratchasima is referred to as Korat, also spelled Khorat.by some.

Edited by willyumiii

Khorat is the nickname, it's proper name is Nakhon Ratchasima

Very good!

Now, do you know the proper name of Bangkok?

Clue: It is the longest city name in history.

Not only do I know it, I can sing it (badly). wink.png