Some schools depending on June 1st teacher commitments...

Good morning. I know of two separate(as in different cities) schools who have June 1st start date commitments for new teachers. When asked(both) if there is any real reason to believe such commitments I just got silence(phone, not in person looks of amazement which I'm sure included).

Does anyone here actually know an experienced or teacher in an "internship" scam who is being either placed or has made a direct commitment to start at a Thai school on June 1st(next Wednesday)?

I ask because I personally find the events surrounding such a matter unbelievable but I recognize I'm not an expert on human behavior. With all the job opportunities I just don't see how a school could rely on such oral or even written(as in contract) commitments. But again, what do I know? Let me know and kind regards.

Are you really an English teacher? In Thailand??? I would have to say that your remark about what do you know applies to more than just the topic you wrote about.

Contracts ad verbal agreements mean nothing unless you actually show up to fulfill them. And sometimes even after you show up as well

Thanks for those contributions. Now that you three have gotten your jollies for the day on the internet, perhaps we can get some reasonable replies.

Not that it matters much, but one of the situations I mentioned has just changed. The teacher "hired" called after lunch today and said she wasn't coming after all. So how about that?

Regarding the personal attacks and name calling, really, it might do you each better to issue them towards someone who actually cares and is bothered by same.

Regarding the whatever it was vs. LostInAsia, this isn't me, but he/she post relevant information and questions. It's only those in the balcony in the cheap seats tossing their smuggled peanut shells down here in the real people's forum. I wish they would just eat their darn peanuts and dispose of the shells properly. It's bad enough they have to cheat the rest of us and not buy on the premises like any reasonable person would do. Reminds me of of those who smuggle booze into football games in order to avoid the overpriced beer. Disgusting on top of rude and out of order.

Bruce, can you clarify a couple of things about your OP? Do you mean Thai nationals who are teachers and due to start work on 1st June? Or interns? Or foreign teachers? I am a little confused :)

Thanks for those contributions. Now that you three have gotten your jollies for the day on the internet, perhaps we can get some reasonable replies.

Not that it matters much, but one of the situations I mentioned has just changed. The teacher "hired" called after lunch today and said she wasn't coming after all. So how about that?

Regarding the personal attacks and name calling, really, it might do you each better to issue them towards someone who actually cares and is bothered by same.

Regarding the whatever it was vs. LostInAsia, this isn't me, but he/she post relevant information and questions. It's only those in the balcony in the cheap seats tossing their smuggled peanut shells down here in the real people's forum. I wish they would just eat their darn peanuts and dispose of the shells properly. It's bad enough they have to cheat the rest of us and not buy on the premises like any reasonable person would do. Reminds me of of those who smuggle booze into football games in order to avoid the overpriced beer. Disgusting on top of rude and out of order.

You might consider to spend your valuable time on another forum where people aren't some strange wannabees.

I've received quite a few private messages just because of people like this joke. The joke has a friend and two usernames and it's always the same old <deleted>.

Flaming others without a consequence, one day it's you, tomorrow another guy.

Just let it be, other ( new) people who read such stupid comments aren't interested to answer a serious question that might be of interest for many people who're living here.

Just forget it and don't get upset about some brainless jokes. Life's too short.

Bruce, can you clarify a couple of things about your OP? Do you mean Thai nationals who are teachers and due to start work on 1st June? Or interns? Or foreign teachers? I am a little confused smile.png

Hi. Sorry for any confusion I caused.

I've seen some "advertisements" for foreigner internships teaching. Naturally I assumed most on here knew this concept was a scam since no experience is required! not to mention, no training and no "internship" for foreigners to "teach" in Thai schools.

Thai nationals would not IMHO be allowed to enter a school after the term began. Exceptions noted, but generally speaking, no.

So in conclusion, I"m talking about foreigners in this somewhat childlike discussion. If only we could rid the internet of those who do nothing but toss the peanut shells,what a great world it would be.

The college I work at started on the 16th of May. I have noticed that a lot of the other schools in this town are understaffed and are trying to get teachers for their MEP/EP programs as obviously the parents have already paid for NES speakers but the schools have dropped the ball yet again. To be honest though it is not really the schools fault, it is the TCT for making the requirements for NES and non-NES to stringent. For the wages that Thailand is willing to pay they are very unlikely to find foreign teachers who perfectly match what they want. It is time for the TCT to take a really good, hard look at what it really needs and the reality of what they are likely to get. From my experiences so far this is the perfect time for agencies to make a killing by ripping off the schools and screwing over the poor foreigner who is fooled into working for them for peanuts.

The college I work at started on the 16th of May. I have noticed that a lot of the other schools in this town are understaffed and are trying to get teachers for their MEP/EP programs as obviously the parents have already paid for NES speakers but the schools have dropped the ball yet again. To be honest though it is not really the schools fault, it is the TCT for making the requirements for NES and non-NES to stringent. For the wages that Thailand is willing to pay they are very unlikely to find foreign teachers who perfectly match what they want. It is time for the TCT to take a really good, hard look at what it really needs and the reality of what they are likely to get. From my experiences so far this is the perfect time for agencies to make a killing by ripping off the schools and screwing over the poor foreigner who is fooled into working for them for peanuts.

Hello. Some good points in that post which might go unnoticed. I'll outline them for clarity and thanks for your remarks.

-Schools in your area are understaffed.

-Parents have already paid.

-Parents were told or brochures indicate, Native English Speakers as teachers.

-The TCT is now, along with Immigration(reported and past) and Labor Departments(prior and I assume present?) attempting to follow and enforce a set of criteria anyone could write, but which isn't feasible in said country, Thailand, because of low wages and third world working conditions.

-Agencies are in a perfect position to lie to schools without any recourse, and find "teachers" who are willing to work for sub standard wages which are just promised, not always paid and without again any worries about the TCT, VISA's, or Work Permits because they can and do just lie to the recruits and schools(whichever few even ask) about taking care of it. It's all about making the deal for an agency. That's(commentary) you see a few agencies advertising as "farang supported" or something like that, indicating to prospects that they "understand" the cultural clashes real people might endure and confront such as lies being accepted as the norm and making the deal with the school being the motivation for the money, nothing really about the foreigners being hired...(end commentary)

You might consider to spend your valuable time on another forum where people aren't some strange wannabees.

I've received quite a few private messages just because of people like this joke. The joke has a friend and two usernames and it's always the same old <deleted>.

Just let it be, other ( new) people who read such stupid comments aren't interested to answer a serious question that might be of interest for many people who're living here.

Just forget it and don't get upset about some brainless jokes. Life's too short.

It is indeed strange. On the other forum which I follow, the person(I assume male by the posts) is an admitted homosexual. That doesn't mean much to intelligent people like your kind self and me, but there is a tendency for homosexuals who are on forums like this to try and "flame" others, make themselves feel in the norm by doing so? I don't get it. So many "gay" people act quite normal in public even with conditions of being anonymous, but those who "get off" by lashing out at others on the internet remain a "breed apart". I'm not upset or really curious about it or them. Just as is often the case, prefer to be civil.

OK Bruce, now I understand your post.

I've noticed many recent adverts for NES and NNES teachers for government schools, with the same advertisement being posted almost every day ==> desperation on the part of the school or agency?

Unfortunately, that desperation hasn't resulted in an increase in the salary that is offered for the particular vacancy.

I have noticed that many advertisements for Filipino/a teachers now offer free accommodation, (chicken coop? bamboo hut??).

As to the concept of unpaid internship for foreign teachers, surely you are 'avin a larf'. laugh.png

It is indeed strange. On the other forum which I follow, the person(I assume male by the posts) is an admitted homosexual. That doesn't mean much to intelligent people like your kind self and me, but there is a tendency for homosexuals who are on forums like this to try and "flame" others, make themselves feel in the norm by doing so? I don't get it. So many "gay" people act quite normal in public even with conditions of being anonymous, but those who "get off" by lashing out at others on the internet remain a "breed apart". I'm not upset or really curious about it or them. Just as is often the case, prefer to be civil.

No idea what you're on about. I've tried to send you a message but it doesn't work?

I'll try a different way. No idea which forum you meant, but that's not the one.

P.S. I've tried it once more and message sent.

OK Bruce, now I understand your post.

I've noticed many recent adverts for NES and NNES teachers for government schools, with the same advertisement being posted almost every day ==> desperation on the part of the school or agency?

Unfortunately, that desperation hasn't resulted in an increase in the salary that is offered for the particular vacancy.

I have noticed that many advertisements for Filipino/a teachers now offer free accommodation, (chicken coop? bamboo hut??).

As to the concept of unpaid internship for foreign teachers, surely you are 'avin a larf'. laugh.png

Check out Greenheart Travel's "deals". Pay to get to work ha ha. Where do I sign up?

Archived