Fibreglass pools - Just what are you getting?

Chaichara

There is an archived thread of the same name here.

I can't believe that it was already three years ago when I posted there. It's an interesting topic because I have been asked by no less than SIX people in the past few months if I have a solution for their recently built fibreglass pools in Nong Khai, Phon Pisai, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Mahasarakahm, Si Bun Ruang, and Sakhon Nakon. (all roughly the same region, but none of these pools came from any of the ThaiVisa sponsors).

Well there seems to be quite a lot of firms offering fibreglass pools these days and some of them have some very aggressive marketing and some of them I know to be lying through their back teeth. But what amazes me is that despite the claims made from 'World wide leading' franchises, and smaller backstreet operations ostensibly buying the pool shells from one manufactuer and trying to install them, is that they ALL have major issues and that in most cases the supplier/installer either refuses point lbank to do anything about it, or he has conveniently disappeared - Thais and farangs alike.

Building (pun?) on the naïvety of the customers for whom in most cases this is their first pool, the usppliers have the cheek to install absolute rubbish, no name pumps, filters, and chlorinators, bill it as expensive Hayward or Emaux, and haven't even the most basic clue about pump house layout, plumbing, and electrical safety. I've seen cheap and nasty no-name pumps that have seized after only six months, cheap thin-walled sand filters split from top to bottom, seized multi-port valves, burned out control boxes, and a pool built by one of the 'famous' franchises without any filtration whatsoever, and when queried, told the customer "with all the modern technology today, and the salt water chlorinator we have installed for you, pools don't need filters'. The worst was a fibreglass pool with a 90cm, 2cm wide crack right through the floor after only 18 months.

Cowboys are probably offering fibreglass pools because they lack the knowledge to build concrete pools and the fibreglass shells are quick to install. Fibreglass pools - Just what are you getting?

I've had a fibreglass pool for over 2 years now, all pumps still working, filters filtering, chlorinator chlorinating. Nothing cracking or broken.

Why buy fibreglass?

1. Only if the pool size you want is that small anyway.

2. If you don't want construction noise, dust, mess and workers at your house for several weeks.

3. If you want a stylish design with smooth curves & edges, and textured steps, rather than a basic rectangle box with tiles.

4. If you don't want to re-grout, and/or re-tile every few years.

5. If you're lazy (like me) and like a pool surface that's easy to clean - even in the corners.

I've had a fibreglass pool for over 2 years now, all pumps still working, filters filtering, chlorinator chlorinating. Nothing cracking or broken.

Why buy fibreglass?

1. Only if the pool size you want is that small anyway.

2. If you don't want construction noise, dust, mess and workers at your house for several weeks.

3. If you want a stylish design with smooth curves & edges, and textured steps, rather than a basic rectangle box with tiles.

4. If you don't want to re-grout, and/or re-tile every few years.

5. If you're lazy (like me) and like a pool surface that's easy to clean - even in the corners.

any photos? what brand ? cost?

• 1 month later...

Nothing wrong with Fiberglass pools if the manufacturer has used the the right materials when constructing the shell.....

Had mine in the ground over 4 yrs, and today I just replaced the Pump as the original died.

NOW here's the MESSAGE....I got a few quotes from Thai suppliers and spoke with 2 other Farangs about pumps which they replaced. The cost in Thailand for a pump complete ranged from 22,000Baht to 28,000 baht, RIDICULOUS...so i went looking on the internet, and found pumps that are supplied to the Australian standard ....I have had one sent to me DHL and I fitted it today (took 3 days to get here to my house delivered...Top bit of gear, very quiet and a PROPER Electrician from Aust checked it all before it was connected to the pipes...He was impressed with the workmanship as well..

Guess what....The pump and filter housing with a 1 HP motor( you have your choice of bigger for the same price) cost me 84000Baht INSTALLED....

If you need a Pool pump, PM me and I will pass on the details where to get them from.

Rgds

weegee

• 1 year later...
On 23/07/2016 at 8:18 PM, weegee said:

Sorry...the above post should have read 8400baht.....not 84000baht.....

What size pool did u get?

and was it a thai supplier?

i wouldn't mind if u cld pm me the brand of pump u bought from au too please? Is it still goin well?

thanks

• 1 month later...

Many pumps on the market as are media filters. You would be surprised as to how many pumps & filters are exactly the same but branded differently. Nearly all are made in China. Plenty of people selling pumps & claiming that they are Australian. Total B/S. At best they will be Australian design. With pumps for pools you need to get them with stainless shaft. Otherwise you are asking for problems. I am in the industry and a decent seawater rated pump will start at around 9 K and can go up to around 18 K. Depends on model, hp & connection size. If you are buying a pump & filter kit for under 10 K it will most likely be crap! 

Archived