Red Ant Infestation

Nikkijah

I'm talking about the big red ants, they're making a base in my roof, I'm sure they're there because of the light which brings the bugs, I don't want to kill them but I'd quite like them to go away

Anybody have any tips to make them go away? except for turning off the lights as they're kept on all night for safety reasons

Nikkijah

It sounds like the Weaver ant you are talking about here is some info on them.

Weaver Ants eat any small creatures that they can find, but they are particularly attracted to nectar. The weaver ants do not have a stinger, but inflict a painful bite which is aggravated by irritating chemicals secreted from their abdomen. more on them here

Not normal for them to nest in a house though. The only other red ant is i believe the fire ant, they are very small with a nasty bite.

I had a nest just outside my back door...just as I was about to go out Water Fighting at songkran one of the little buggers decided to skydive into my eye :D Hurt like he11

That was a nice little trip to the hospital for a wonderful eye clean...and a ruined day :o

As BambinA said "Smoke 'em" :D

If you have red ants nesting in the house it is not likely that they are weaver ants. This beneficial ant makes its nest in trees by actually weaving leaves together. Most of the ones around our house choose mango trees.

I'd have no qualms at all getting rid of ants in the house with poison. Buy the kind of poison that they take back to their nest and within a week or so they will be gone.

Don't know if this would work but you could try finding their nest (usually a clump of leaves they have "stitched" together) and either eat the eggs...or sell them....or move the nest farther from your house....beware of the bites you could get in doing this and avoid them by using implements with long handles....2 metres should probably do....maybe ask a Thai to help if there is someone around who is willing although they will likely want to keep the eggs instead of moving the house.

Chownah

Cayenne Pepper. Sprinkle near the source of the ants and on any flat surface they cross or congregate.

The pepper won't kill them, but irritate them enough to find another place to conduct their travels.

Yeah they move to your mattress :o:D:D

smoke em

:o

That would be very interesting to watch... :D

Can you get small papers here, you know midget zigzags?

you could use regular sized papes...just add some tobacco...(or some wacky tobaccy)

eat the rest of 'em when you get the munchies

watch out though, i think they'll snap crackle and pop when you light 'em up

Cheers for all the replies, some good ones there!

I've discovered that they come along a phone cable between my house and our neighbours house, the cable touches a big bunch of trees which the ants are nesting in so I'm comfortable knowing they're not nesting in our house.

These are the big red ants with pincers on their heads, not the type that p1ss on you :o

I figure that if I grease up the cable with auto grease or similar then that will stop the ants coming that way but they're brighter than that aren't they - they'll just find another route :D

Bambina, I've tried smoking them, firstly with my ciggy smoke, and then with a bunch of burning twigs, at first they stop what they're doing but then they just ignore it completely! Tough ants!! :D

They sound like weaver ants because they live in the mango trees and weave leaves together but I'm certain they've got pincers, very certain

I said before I didn't want to kill them because they are not doing me any harm really, I just don't want them to continue building in numbers, some time in the future they're going to come in the house :D

Cheers for all the funnies, I'll ask the neighbour to get their nest, she done this before but we are surrounded by trees and there must be millions of these ants around, I'll just have to think of some cunning way of diverting them elsewhere :D

Well that's two that have slapped into the wicket keeper's gloves... :o

...wanna explain that idiom to us Yanks? :D

Is that kinda like "You've hit a home run?"

No, it's more like baseball where the batsman (wrong term?) is waiting for the ball to be pitched, yet it is already in the catcher's mitt.

Missing the point is probably an easier way to explain it... :D