‘Baby Soldiers’ Draw Praise, Condemnation

rooster59

‘Baby Soldiers’ Draw Praise, Condemnation

By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

post-247607-0-82440900-1464480356_thumb.

Undated photo of children dressed in army garbs at Dun Sat School in Khon Kaen province that has been widely shared on the internet

KHON KAEN — A preschool in northeastern Thailand raised many eyebrows after its director ordered its young pupils to show up for class in army uniforms.

For that policy, the Dun Sat School in Khon Kaen province has won praise from a government education official and criticism from those who see the kiddy bootcamp as a sign that Thai society is becoming increasingly militaristic under the current junta.

Arun Bhodisri, head of Dun Sat School’s kindergarten, said her students were told to wear the miniature army garb every Thursday.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1464424788

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-05-29

Don't we do the same, only under different names? Cubs, Scouts, Guides, Cadet Corps? Thailand has had compulsory scouting as long as I've been here.

Agree and they do worthwhile community work. Hope these budding 'mini-Rambo's' don't get hold of their parents guns like you read about in certain other countries.

Let's hope the school doesn't have any business connections with the company that makes and sells the outfits. I'm sure the company just popped up spontaneously three years back at the same time as this idea was floated by the school director. ;)

As for the education official who welcomed the idea, well that speaks for itself...

I'm on the fence with this one, I have personal experience of children/teens going rogue in ever increasing numbers here in Thailand, there is a massive drug problem and a serious lack of moral standards and discipline, all it takes is a few rotten apples and many will and do follow into a life of crime that starts at school, not sure this is the right way to address it but there is a problem here that is not being addressed and is getting worse, this to me looks and feels too much on the N. Korea style of indoctrination but that could be over stating what is actually going on at this school, not enough information to make a fair judgement. In saying that there are still many good kids that go on and follow the right path into higher education and jobs

Can someone please tell me what is wrong with having pride in your own country?

We in the west have certainly lost all pride in own homelands.

It seems like hypocrisy yet again, wherever the MAJORITY of a nation takes pride in itself, it is shot down as being NAZI or Fascist.

Why is acceptable that certain minorities are able to have their "Exclusive" clubs, that only they can join, but if the majority of the nation tries to have its own club they are racist, nazis?

If teaching these kids a bit of pride, discipline independance and teamwork is something bad, then so be it, if it keeps them off drugs, violence and crime, then good, I am all for it.

Not education is it, it's indoctrination and nationalistic brain washing, horrible.

Please open the link and tell me the boys and girls are being subjected to "indoctrination and nationalistic brain washing"

http://combinedcadetforce.org.uk/

Maybe there's a bit of difference between CCF (13-18y-o) and these kiddos in kindergarten, joining the CCF I believe is voluntary, whereas being told you've got to do this and purchase extra clothing for them is not the same?

Nationalism is the scourge of the planet! (I'm talking to you, Yanqui...)

actually religeon is the real scourge, it promotes hate tribalism and sectarianism, divides countries and people and causes wars and conflict, there is no other evil on this planet and in our history that comes close

Don't we do the same, only under different names? Cubs, Scouts, Guides, Cadet Corps? Thailand has had compulsory scouting as long as I've been here.

The groups you mention have nothing to do with the principles of an army; to kill!

But it isn't really proper Scouting as I remember it from the UK 50 odd years ago.

Yes, my son wears the uniform but they don't really teach them scouting at all.

What is more concerning is that they are appear to be teaching the Nazi salute.

Looks more like a 3 finger salute by the teacher, this could be more worrying for the junta.

I expanded the screen and none of them, teacher included, are doing the Scout 3 finger salute. It is the full hand.

Is Khon Kaen not Red Shirt country? Appears the authorities are bringing in indoctrination of youth to end it. One generation and the red shirt will be history. The salute does make it appear rather scary if things go the same way as the last group that used that salute.

But it isn't really proper Scouting as I remember it from the UK 50 odd years ago.

Yes, my son wears the uniform but they don't really teach them scouting at all.

Agreed. I have yet to see them wearing sets of proficiency badges as are proudly worn by scouts all over the world.

Archived