Malware - Subject Line "Payment Invoice"

maisodni

There is malware spreading in Bangkok via an e-mail message from a familiar party - including any custom signature block they have set up - with subject line "Payment Invoice" and a Google link within the message body.

Beware.

MS

I think its quite easy to detect malware these days, if you don't expect an "invoice" or "payment" from some party, then it must be malware. People who click it are those who are too gullible thinking they won money, or have to pay some money to X company when they don't even have anything to do with them.

Or unfortunately some of them hit accounting departments that receive lots of emails with "invoice" in the title.

The recent Locky ransomware outbreak was sent with an attachment disguised to look like scan-to-email outputs of several leading networked printers like Canon, Xerox, etc.

They are crafty little buggers.

One good defence if you can is to block everything executable from coming into your network. That involves blocking a fair few filetypes but it's very effective.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/a/execfileext.htm

If people don't have attachments to click on, it very much reduces them chance of them executing anything.

biggrin.png

Edited by Chicog

I have 1000's of these in my mail folders going back years, probably representing every step on the ladder of malware evolution since I started logging them. There's all sorts of zip files, spreadsheets, word documents and especially PDF files, etc, etc. All of them will contain some kind of malicious payload.

Of course I've never opened even one of them. I'm very careful about this, if I open an attachment from someone I know I often use a VM, if the attachment is from someone I don't know then I just ignore it.

I receive dozens of malware and spam in to my Yahoo Mail junk folder every day. My favourite spam is the Apple email requesting that I verify my account before it's shut down. Just occasionally, I'll click the link and fill in the required fields.

Email: f*&koffc%[email protected], provides a rough idea of how I proceed. Account no. 684654634, CVV no. 824, etc.

Edited by wooloomooloo

I receive dozens of malware and spam in to my Yahoo Mail junk folder every day. My favourite spam is the Apple email requesting that I verify my account before it's shut down. Just occasionally, I'll click the link and fill in the required fields.

Email: f*&koffc%[email protected], provides a rough idea of how I proceed. Account no. 684654634, CVV no. 824, etc.

Unfortunately even this action can cause the email address to be flaged as live and so triggering even more phishing attempts. Edited by kmj

I use Gmail and only rarely see unwanted/unexpected mail.

I did however receive a very odd email a few months ago which suggested it came from my UK bank. I did not open it and spoke to the bank asking if they had emailed me.

As a result of my conversation the unopened email was forwarded to the banks fraud detection dept.

It is easy to block junk and delete anything unusual/unrecognized from ones inbox.

You must be a Windows user. I haven't seen a virus or malware for fifteen years.

Then you haven't been looking very hard.

You didn't get what he said. He uses a Mac, therefor no viruses.

And you haven't been looking very hard either.