Planes landing backwards at CNX

jobin

Well, not exactly tail first, but approaching the sole runway from the opposite direction, compared to normal. That's what i saw for 5 hours this afternoon. Planes descending over the 700 yr stadium, rather than going up.

Any ideas why coz i thought the normal way, descend over Hang Dong, was superior.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wind direction. Planes preferably land against the wind to have more air flow over the wings, maintaining stability, less chance of a stall.

Indeed, you are right about that. However, almost year round planes landing at CNX land from south to north and thus have south-west tail wind as this is the wind direction almost all year.

Since wind in Chiang Mai hardly excists it must have had to do with a stronger wind than normal (thunderstorms these days) so the landing direction got changed.

My kingdom for a bottle.

Just checked radar24 this Tuesday morning and plane still land from the North.

Flight SL500 is landing from the North at the moment.

Not much quieter in the village now as we get the noise from the planes taking off as they climb and turn not far.

Maybe they decided to try to have all planes landing and taking of in the same direction. easier to handle with heavier traffic.

This is a perfect example of why many prefer to live outside the city...where people do not care which way the wind blows...so long as a fart is not attached to it...w00t.gif

Wind direction. Planes preferably land against the wind to have more air flow over the wings, maintaining stability, less chance of a stall.

Um. No. They land against the wind to decrease landing roll. If you land down wind the roll out is greatly increased which could put one off the end of the runway.

They take off into the wind to decrease the amount of runway required for takeoff.

The power of the engines can easily provide the necessary wind across the wings.

Heres some CNX arrival photos taken yesterday afternoon

People gotta love Nimman area more everyday. Just look out for all the condo ads popping up describing a quiet location :D

We thought at least this was not another moan about aircraft noise, too late I guess.coffee1.gif

Suggest Stick and Rudder by Wolfgang Langewiesche, Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators (FAA publication series) Both about 400 pages. And Handling the Big Jets by JP Davies.

A thorough reading will dispel the fundamental misunderstanding of basic aeronautic and flight operations principles suffered by so many on this subject.

Look which way the windsock is pointing.

Wind-Sock.jpg

It's pointing from right to left. Does that help?

Yes, but look at the wind.

I looked for the wind but couldnt see it, so I shot into the air and mist...

Um. No. They land against the wind to decrease landing roll. If you land down wind the roll out is greatly increased which could put one off the end of the runway.

They take off into the wind to decrease the amount of runway required for takeoff.

The power of the engines can easily provide the necessary wind across the wings.

Dave is correct, however a consequence of increased airflow over wings means lower ground speed, which results in shorter take-off/landing roll-out, so you are both correct

You know, the 737 I fly is certificated for 15 knot tailwind takeoff/landing as long as certain conditions are complied with. Then we routinely climb up to altitude and sometimes enjoy tailwinds of 80, 100, 200+ knots, you name it

So why do we not "flip over", experience "instability", or stall?

Yes, a tailwind increases takeoff or landing distance required (ceteris paribus) but "Air flowing accross the wings" has nothing to with groundspeed and tailwind operations are not germane to a discussion of aerodynamic stability or stalling at all.

I understand why people might think such things, but they never read it in any flight manual or heard it from somebody who knows what they are talking about so it is baffling to me why people continue to post such rubbish, even on an internet forum. Then again so-called professional journalists publish sensational inane things all the time whenever there is a major accident/incident. Based solely on speculation and with poor understanding of basic aeronautic principles and flight operations standards and procedures.

CNN "B777 will struggle hold altitude with empty fuel tanks!"

post-84769-14647641368398_thumb.jpg

Edited by arunsakda

All over the world airports call this "Turning the airport around" when the extreme changing of wind occurs. Suvarnabhumi airport does this often during the storm season.So now you know.

Edited by sanukjim

All over the world airports call this "Turning the airport around" when the extreme changing of wind occurs. Suvarnabhumi airport does this often during the storm season.So now you know.

We just call it landing backwards here.tongue.png

Edited by Rob13

Pretty sure ive seen them landing and taking off both ways back to back there too, as in aircraft 1 lands from the south then aircraft 2 takes off to the south straight after

Edited by Jdiddy