How did YOU find your condo? (Help)

Hi everyone!

I'm a college student from the US. and I need your help.

If you have rented or bought a a condo in Thailand, I want to talk to you for 10-15 minutes in exchange for a starbucks coffee or ( just expat community love if you prefer).

I am currently working on a project and trying to understand how expats find living spaces (esp. Condo) in Thailand and your conversations would be of tremendous help. Please consider helping a young, curious student out. I would be very grateful.

<snip>

Edited by Jai Dee
Email address removed as per Forum Rules

You won't get much help in exchange for a Starbucks coffee. It sucks in Thailand.

But to give you my experience for free, if you want to buy, walk around and identify the area you want to live in, then walk around and find some attractive condo buildings (usually identified from outside by mis-matching aircon units as opposed to matching aircons which usually means it's an apartment block with only rental units). And then walk into the management office and ask if there are any units on sale (or rent if you want).

Ask to look at the units, most sellers deposit keys with the office so they can help sell the unit. And the seller will normally pay any commission to the office (or agent) not the buyer.

Take it from there.

I walked around until I found a building that looked good in an area I wanted to be.

Narrow down choices by using Internet (HipFlat/RentHub, etc)

+1.

I chose OnNut when looking for a condo to buy because it is so well connected by road and rail (the Bangna Ram-Intra freeway is particularly useful for someone who plies between Bangkok and the north/northeast) and far enough out of the centre to avoid stupid prices.*

Then just hoofed around a bit looking for new developments

*OK I lied - it's full of pretty girls!

Look on internet, find condo that seemed ok

Email real estate agent, make sure she is female and young of course

Meet agent

Drive around with her looking at condos while having a good time

Choose one i like

Sign contract and move in next day

Fairly straight forward and painless

We just went around with a real estate person when we used to live there. Was shown lots of places I never would have found on my own.

Exactly the same as anywhere else on the planet, you hook up with an agent and a good one will annoy you with anything he has on his books that may suite.

This thread is brain dead.