Phuket Schools

Prizefighter

True. Unless you speak English at home, or have extra classes, their ESL classes are absolutely worthless. And a very high turnover rate for teachers, mirroring Kajongkietsuksa. But students see a farang teacher at least twice a week for an hour a session.

That is double what the Thai govt. schools give their students.

My daughter used to go to Kajonkiet earlier. I decided to pull her out of there when the teachers told me she is behind in math.

They stressed her so much about this that she lost interest in school, at only 8 years of age. They are pushing the kids so hard there that a state school in Singapore seem like a Sunday brunch.

Said and done, I took her to Montessori. Within just a week she loved school again. And guess what, she was one of the best in her class in math after a month. This proves that everyone is unique and need different ways of learning. It worked out great for my daughter.

She is now very keen and independent in her studies. But then again, the way kids interact with others and how they are thinking are more the result of their parents, not the school itself.

On the downside, the facilities are a little too "pittoresque" for my liking, but the area and the view is beautiful. I never noticed any mosquito bites on my daughter, but I know the parking lot next to the school is full of them bloodsuckers.

Someone mentioned that the "farang" teachers are not native English speakers, as far as I know, they all are even they are Indians or of other nationalities.

Well, thats my 5 cents. :o

My daughter used to go to Kajonkiet earlier. I decided to pull her out of there when the teachers told me she is behind in math.

They stressed her so much about this that she lost interest in school, at only 8 years of age. They are pushing the kids so hard there that a state school in Singapore seem like a Sunday brunch.

Said and done, I took her to Montessori. Within just a week she loved school again. And guess what, she was one of the best in her class in math after a month.

Hmmmm......people could draw a different conclussion.

Maybe the kids in Kajonkiet are more advanced in the subject of mathematics than those in Montessori?

Wasn't there a post from someone that said Montessori is weak in Maths and Sciences?

Maybe the kids in Kajonkiet are more advanced in the subject of mathematics than those in Montessori?

Wasn't there a post from someone that said Montessori is weak in Maths and Sciences?

I think they are more advanced in terms of going faster ahead at Kajonkiet. This might be fine for some kids. In my case it did not work out good.

At the age of 8, I am not worried if they are wizards in algebra or not as long as they are keen to learn.

I am sure there are an equal amount of horror stories about any school in Phuket. Overall the options are way too limited. There is room for more quality schools at lower prices than whats available today. So if anyone is looking for an investment opportunity in Phuket, start a proper school. :o

• 9 months later...
Hi Melanie.

I tutor many Kajonkiet kids, both Thais and mostlly Koreans. What ages are your kids?

The school is ok. It is not God's gift to children, but it will do, bearing in mind where you are.

The pros are: air conditioned rooms, foreign teachers with Thai co-teachers, English, Math, Science and extracurricular activities are all in English. History, local language are all in Thai. (Many kids who do not speak Thai are there, so no problem). My students' English is ok and workable. Your advantage is you will speak it at home, so no problems. Clean school. About 45,000 Baht per term (2 terms per year). No Yobs here :o . Bullying is at a minimum. Your kids will learn Thai, most definitively.

The cons: They change teachers like we change our underwear. Very bad reputation locally among the teaching populace. They treat them like shit. Administrators are all about money money money. The Thai teachers are treated like shit. They have to be at school by about 7 am and leave 6-7:30 and are the cleaners of the school. So they are not good Thai teachers due to exhaustion and their 6000 Baht salary per month. The foreign teachers are good and come with strawberry dreams but are soon woken up to the reality of the situation. They do not like the school books but work with it and are creative with their assignments. Greasy food and a lot of ice cream sold there. No dietary worries from the admin.

Feel free to pm me with any questions and keep in touch. I can help you when you arrive with any other issues.

Does anyone know if they have made it a more stable environment for the teachers at Kajonkiet School? Are they sticking around?

Son is coming of age now, and can't really stretch to the cost of BIS, whats the next best alternative?

choppy

The teachers who left are in the p3,4,5,6 and M1 stages.

Some of the students go to BKK after P6. Others have no choice but to stay.

Unfortunately, the Thai teachers are quite bitter of the falang teachers (higher salaries and longer working hours) and take it out on the kids. The falang teachers, some of them anyway, try to instill individual thought, but when it is the Thai teacher's turn, it is all reversed.

Other complaints are that Thai teachers do take it out on the kids and are just simply arrogant, as is the nephew, who runs the place and is very quick with the whip on the falang teachers. This is a business, money talks. Quality is not what this school is about or tries to achieve.

Basically, this school is a sweatshop with air conditioning.

The teachers who left are in the p3,4,5,6 and M1 stages.

Some of the students go to BKK after P6. Others have no choice but to stay.

Unfortunately, the Thai teachers are quite bitter of the falang teachers (higher salaries and longer working hours) and take it out on the kids. The falang teachers, some of them anyway, try to instill individual thought, but when it is the Thai teacher's turn, it is all reversed.

Other complaints are that Thai teachers do take it out on the kids and are just simply arrogant, as is the nephew, who runs the place and is very quick with the whip on the falang teachers. This is a business, money talks. Quality is not what this school is about or tries to achieve.

Basically, this school is a sweatshop with air conditioning.

Hi Somtamnication

You seem to know your stuff. The p3,4,5,6 and M1 stages don't mean anything to me, what age are they in the final year? and what do you see as a similar alternative in the same price range?

cheers

choppy