From smog to serenity: Bangkok’s Benjakitti Park breathes new life

snoop1130

download-1.jpg

Bangkok, former home to a sprawling industrial estate, where Thailand’s state-owned tobacco monopoly churned out millions of cigarettes for over half a century, emerges from the smog. Benjakitti Park, an urban oasis, has rapidly become a beloved haven for Bangkok’s 11 million residents.

Officially opened in August 2022 to honour Queen Sirikit’s 90th birthday, the now 40-hectare Benjakitti Park boasts a 1.6-kilometre elevated walkway known as the Skywalk, water-purifying wetlands, 8,000 new trees, sports courts, and a dog-walking zone.

The Skywalk is a particular hit among the youth, who flock to the park at sunset to take selfies and enjoy the cooler evening air, said Pongsaton Tatone, a freelance photographer.

“Benjakitti Park is at the top of my list of places to take pictures. It’s a very popular spot.”

Adding significant green space to a densely populated Southeast Asian city is rare, but Bangkok’s new parkland nearly doubles the size of the original Benjakitti Park, which includes a lake and jogging path.

This US$20 million (approximately 724 million baht) expansion addresses the city’s dire need for green space, as a 2022 report highlighted Bangkok’s shortfall against the World Health Organisation’s standard.

The transformation began in the early 1990s when the government designated the tobacco factory site for parkland. However, it took decades before the state-owned company relinquished the land.

Under the leadership of Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, who oversaw the project’s acceleration during the pandemic, military personnel were enlisted to expedite the construction.

Landscape architect Chatchanin Sung praised the soldiers’ efforts, noting their pride in the park. The new wetlands feature an innovative water purification system using a sewage-contaminated canal, turning foul water into clean irrigation in just four days. The park has become a self-sustaining ecosystem, attracting storks, herons, and other wildlife, reported Japan Times.

Of the old tobacco factory, only four buildings remain, repurposed as sports facilities with open designs that integrate nature into their structures.

“If you stand in the building, you can see the nature all around you.”

By Mitch Connor

Photo courtesy of The New York Times via Japan Times

Source: The Thaiger 2024-05-17

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Very good story,  haven't been there for many years so a visit is on the cards again ....   

Go in burning season and get back to us.    :coffee1:

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, brianthainess said:

Go in burning season and get back to us.    :coffee1:

it's free from the smog and burning because of trees and treated water and the birds and the lilly's and the nature ....

don't you know  ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Before they shut it down to rebuild it, I used to go there several evenings a week to walk, ride my bike (or my recumbent after my bypass when 2 wheels wasn't stable enough) , or rent a canoe.  The park was very well maintained and quite a pleasant experience in the middle of town.  I met a lot of normal, very nice Thai people just walking the loop, or sitting on the nice benches watching the cuties go by. Surprised at how easy it was to strike up a walking conversation in English.  (Edit:  And not just the usual youngsters, though I like them, too.  Quite a few middle age and older business people, some in high places)

I've been there quite a few times this past year, watching it open up more and more.  A year ago, very few walkers, and no boat rental concession.  Bummer.  Recently, lots of walkers and the boats are available, including some nice kayaks.  I don't know if they rent (or even allow) bicycles like they used to.  Anyone got an update on that?

Highly recommended...

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Benjakitti Park, an urban oasis, has rapidly become a beloved haven for Bangkok’s 11 million residents.

It must be very crowed with 11 million people inside...  🤔

• Love It 1

We've been regulars there whenever we're in BKK since 2013. Splendid for morning or late afternoon walk. Some of you will laugh but I always loved it when they played the national anthem at 0800 and 1600: Everyone stops, hops off their bikes ... I found it quite moving.

Haven't yet had the opportunity for a full exploration of the greatly increased parkland connected to Lumpini Park. Looking forward to it in November when we'll be in BKK with Aussie friends.

• Like 1

unfortunately it seems they are now locking the gate on end of soi 8 at the church which was a great shortcut that was helpful...still open every now and then...no idea why they feel need to prevent people from cutting through church parking lot...

• Agree 1

Used to go there 25 years ago & it was great then with the turtles, birds & other aquatic wildlife & have watched the transition into what it is now which is pretty good.

The swamp areas I do worry that it could become a huge breeding ground for mosquitos unless fogged every 

5 days & after rain.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2024 at 2:06 AM, soi3eddie said:

I've been enjoying early morning walks in Benjakitti Park since last November. They really have done a great job with this park. Also, I will traverse the "Green Mile" over to Lumphini Park as part of my walk. Benjakitti is a lot quieter though. It opens at 05:00am and is well lit until dawn breaks and the sun starts to rise above the tower blocks to the east. Lots of walkers and joggers before dawn. This is such a great asset for the city. 

20231205_065133.jpg

1707616233567.jpg

Interesting. The "green mile" you mention is that a stretch of walk path on the main road, or an overpass? 

Btw, can you who seems to live nearby the parks recommend a hotel near the parks. I have some embassy / hospital business to do in Bangkok this week and would like to get me a walk /run or two in both of the parks.

Thanks

Felt

On 5/17/2024 at 9:11 PM, Hanuman2547 said:

It's a nice park.  I used to go there back in the 90's when I lived on Soi 10.  Of course it wasn't anything like it is today.  

On 5/18/2024 at 11:08 AM, natway09 said:

Used to go there 25 years ago & it was great then

How could you go to a park that only opened 2 years ago  25 years ago   perhaps you are  confusing this new park with  this one

Benjasiri Park

https://maps.app.goo.gl/cbccNtSd4Ez52tBy7

So there was a park there at the tobacco monopoly  all that time I didn't know  and none of the girls at Nana ever suggested ( to me)

to go there  for a romantic rendezvous :shock1:

Ok I see I am wrong Benjakitti park has been there since 1992  but has expanded to take over the old Tobacco Monopoly ground...my apologies 🙏 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

Interesting. The "green mile" you mention is that a stretch of walk path on the main road, or an overpass? 

The Green Mile is a walkway that goes along the canal from the bottom of Soi 10 by Benjakitti Park all the way to Lumphini Park. It's painted green. At points is crosses the expressway by bridge and then an elevated section between houses of local community in Ruam Rudi. There are lots of convenient hotels close to both parks. Take a look on Google Maps.

• Agree 1

On 5/19/2024 at 7:23 PM, josephbloggs said:

No. Benjakitti Park opened in 1992. The expansion opened two years ago.

yep i used to walk around the old park as well as the tobacco monopoly which was still functional and smelled of tobacco..it was also home to several dozen soi dogs that lived there and loved to snarl and bark when u walked by but i just ignored them and no real problem but they scared the crap out of a lot of walkers who would often have a big stick and threaten the dogs which only seemed to make the dogs more angry...

there wasa placque there long long ago that said in english and thai  it would all be torn down and all the bricks would be shipped to chiang rai province and reassembled into a new tobacco storage facility...i see now they did leave a couple of the old big brick buildigns standing and opened them up into badmitton etc courts but wonder if they really did send all that brick and build something in chiang rai?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 9:31 PM, soi3eddie said:

The Green Mile is a walkway that goes along the canal from the bottom of Soi 10 by Benjakitti Park all the way to Lumphini Park. It's painted green. At points is crosses the expressway by bridge and then an elevated section between houses of local community in Ruam Rudi. There are lots of convenient hotels close to both parks. Take a look on Google Maps.

There was a plan in June 2023 to upgrade the Green Bridge, but I think this must have been shelved, like a number of the klong walkways, (the one at the Sathorn Narathiwas Roads intersection was supposed to run all the way to the river, but seems to have stopped after 500 metres from the intersection).

Edited by samtam
  • Thanks 1