Thai junta leader defends crackdown on social media

rooster59

Of course he could, alternatively, actually DO something instead of spouting hot air. Like:

Sort out the corrupt Koh Tao fiasco

Have drunken billionaire drivers arrested

Have hypochondriac monks who cock a snook at the law arrested

Have monks who freeze tiger kittens brought to justice.

Hey! He might even get some respect.

The experience of other countries suggests that were Thais to actually use "Social Media" constructively

rather than as a vanity aid, he would be unable to resist its force. At present it appears the population is revelling in spinelessness.

'

"vanity aid"

I love it - and soooo true.

Wanna see my latest selfie? bah.gif

W

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laugh away, people. I think that Marcusd is right to the point. And no, I don't take meds either.

This has been told to me almost 30 years ago by a wise old man, that the country could explode the day that unavoidable event we can't speak will take place. And the situation then was much, much cooler than now, the country was far from being as divided as it is today, with two factions hating each other to death. So it's definitely more true.

Get ready to pack when "it" happens.

"Countries should look at "sovereignty in less traditional terms," Prayuth said. "Compromises must be made for the common interest, for common security. If there are opportunities for dialogues, we must engage in dialogues.""

have to say I completely agree with him here, he just forgot to mention the minor detail of him making dialog illegal

Laugh away, people. I think that Marcusd is right to the point. And no, I don't take meds either.

This has been told to me almost 30 years ago by a wise old man, that the country could explode the day that unavoidable event we can't speak will take place. And the situation then was much, much cooler than now, the country was far from being as divided as it is today, with two factions hating each other to death. So it's definitely more true.

So you've been waiting since the eighties for this "it" to happen - no resolution - and still fearmongering?

Edit: not to mention the numerous coup's that have happened...coffee1.gif

Edited by jabis

I think he'll go along just fine with Donald Trump.crazy.gif

I would say Prayuth is more closely aliened with all the executive orders Obama has issued lately. They become law the same way without passing through both houses of congress as P. does with article 44.

So you've been waiting since the eighties for this "it" to happen - no resolution - and still fearmongering?

No I haven't, because this event has been something very distant in the future and not quite real until a couple of years ago.

But this warning from an old wise man has remained imprinted in my mind anyway.

I saw the shootings from fairly close in 2010 and that convinced me that there was only one single reason why this country hasn't fallen into a civil war yet.

Edited by Lannig

No I haven't, because this event has been something very distant in the future and not quite real until a couple of years ago.

I saw the shootings from fairly close in 2010 and that convinced me that there was only one single reason why this country hasn't fallen into a civil war yet.

Yeah I've known really wise men too, that have been wrong with their premonitions, or expectations, or wise words at the time - and countering "be wary, end is near" first comes to mind. Yeah look at Europe, or US, and you could cast those spells equally all over - just depends on who is waiting and what. Civil war in Thailand is not uncommon - but doesn't have jack to do with premonitions 30 years ago, when the factions were totally different, nor with Marcusd's apocalypse vision - especially when talking about "hi-so" "wealthy" "guys in high places" - feeding it. That just sounds elitist and a means to gain from self-ensued panic - nothing more nothing less

Yeah I've known really wise men too, that have been wrong with their premonitions, or expectations, or wise words at the time - and countering "be wary, end is near" first comes to mind. Yeah look at Europe, or US, and you could cast those spells equally all over - just depends on who is waiting and what. Civil war in Thailand is not uncommon - but doesn't have jack to do with premonitions 30 years ago, when the factions were totally different, nor with Marcusd's apocalypse vision - especially when talking about "hi-so" "wealthy" "guys in high places" - feeding it. That just sounds elitist and a means to gain from self-ensued panic - nothing more nothing less

It must be very comforting to know it all.

I wish I did.

W

I wish I did.

W

Care to elaborate on that comment?

Wasn't the person "knowing it all" the other guy rushing us to departure gates, because the country is in a disarray ready to explode from within? gigglem.gif

That just sounds elitist and a means to gain from self-ensued panic - nothing more nothing less

To gain what? I definitely have nothing to gain. Like many people here I guess, there are Thai people I deeply care for. Imagining them possibly in danger in a country that has fallen in complete chaos, being kept away from them (I'm not a permanent resident anymore) is a terrible thinking that keeps me awake sometimes.

Nothing to gain, really.

I think that the Thai people are being held with an iron fist precisely because the man at the top now fears what's going to happen next when... you see what I mean. He, above all, has good reasons to fear that chaos could ensue and he (wrongly IMO) believes that the tighter the fist is, the better are his chances to avoid it.

That just sounds elitist and a means to gain from self-ensued panic - nothing more nothing less

To gain what? I definitely have nothing to gain. Like many people here I guess, there are Thai people I deeply care for. Imagining them possibly in danger in a country that has fallen in complete chaos, being kept away from them (I'm not a permanent resident anymore) is a terrible thinking that keeps me awake sometimes.

Nothing to gain, really.

I think that the Thai people are being held with an iron fist precisely because the man at the top now fears what's going to happen next when... you see what I mean. He, above all, has good reasons to fear that chaos could ensue and he (wrongly IMO) believes that the tighter the fist is, the better are his chances to avoid it.

To gain - anything - inciting panic - firesale type of option for example.

The country has not 'fallen in complete chaos' nor are there (yet) many people in chaotically harms way, if you don't consider from within the armed forces a possibility that other snouts want to the trough. Also we seem to have a very differing landscape - regarding our mutually loved and close - thai people surrounding us, as no doomsday rhetoric has been lashed out and about in any conversation during the last year. We're on the same page with uncle too's reign though.

I wish I did.

W

Wasn't the person "knowing it all" the other guy rushing us to departure gates, because the country is in a disarray ready to explode from within? gigglem.gif

Nope. But thank you.

As I read it, the other guy was expressing an opinion. Something which the forum allows him to do. But which you apparently would not. You countered his opinion with a post that appears to imply you know better. Maybe you do, maybe you don't but you're obliged to keep it polite.

That was all really... just my opinion, for what that's worth.

W

Firesale? we're bordering nonsense here.

At least because if the sh*it really hits the fan hard, most of expats will have little time to sell their stuff before leaving.

Don't know which Thai people you talk to, but I've often heard things along the lines of "there will be unrest, big unrest sooner or later" told when speaking with the people I know enough to discuss these things. Mind you, my Thai base camp is in a red place.

Yes, the doomsday rhetoric will only be really tested when a certain even takes place. Well, 6 months or a year later really, when the country emerges from the shock. Until then, I do agree that it's nothing but fears, although unlike you I think that these fears have solid grounds.

The xenophobia that is patiently instilled into the minds of the Thai people by the big man at the top will have consequences in case of major unrest. Scapegoats will be sought, at least by one of the parties.

Edited by Lannig

"Campaigning for or against the draft is subject to nebulous rules that could land activists in prison for up to 10 years. Even the sale of a "Vote No" T-shirt is considered against the law."

Yeah that sure sounds like "unlimited freedom" he is warning people to watch out for. Allowing people to discuss vote on future of country or express themselves.... what's next? Being able to vote for representatives? Gotta nip that in the bud!

I wish I did.

W

Nope. But thank you.

As I read it, the other guy was expressing an opinion. Something which the forum allows him to do. But which you apparently would not. You countered his opinion with a post that appears to imply you know better. Maybe you do, maybe you don't but you're obliged to keep it polite.

W

First of all, thanks for a sensible reply; second

I'd urge you to read the thread again - in my perspective the - the one making claims - out of subjective perception of things - cries wolf, and now the one wanting evidence am shot down - by knowing better - countering the wolf's imminent existence. Tried to be a little poetic, sorry if that doesn't ring to you :)

And for sure I tried to keep it polite - if you took offence then I'm kinda saddened, maybe TVF has sharpened my teeth, but I was calling out "trolling".

I appreciate everybody's opinion - as long as it isn't plain out trolling/bashing - I think then you're entitled to play the game :)

Firesale? we're bordering nonsense here.

At least because if the sh*it really hits the fan hard, most of expats will have little time to sell their stuff before leaving.

Don't know which Thai people you talk to, but I've often heard things along the lines of "there will be unrest, big unrest sooner or later" told when speaking with the people I know enough to discuss these things. Mind you, my Thai base camp is in a red place.

Yes, the doomsday rhetoric will only be really tested when a certain even takes place. Well, 6 months or a year later really, when the country emerges from the shock. Until then, I do agree that it's nothing but fears, although unlike you I think that these fears have solid grounds.

The xenophobia that is patiently instilled into the minds of the Thai people by the big man at the top will have consequences in case of major unrest. Scapegoats will be sought, at least by one of the parties.

Sorry - don't know another fine word for making people really uneasy -> thus abandoning their assets for portion of the real value -> fleeing across the borders leaving easy pickings.

As to "little time to sell" - why would you if you're just popping out until the heat dies down?

As to which Thai people I talk to - mostly (because where I'm situated) the "reds", though I'd say unaffiliated to the day, but as well with the "yellows" whilst working in BKK. I have a batch of people to measure, and no doomsday scenario - even from bangkokian friends - has emerged, though general discontent has been a common subject.

Prayuth is actually quite moderate for the right wing - almost a softie. Consider that there has been no actual brutality, mainly blather and the usual silly 'crackdowns' on this and that. His talk of the 'next administration' though is worrying - an indication that the elite intend to carry on forever using 'reform' as an excuse, and, in the usual way of things, the next man in charge could well be an altogether nastier piece of work.

Sorry - don't know another fine word for making people really uneasy -> thus abandoning their assets for portion of the real value -> fleeing across the borders leaving easy pickings.

If that's an idiom I missed it then. English not my first language.

Thailand's junta leader on Friday defended his government's increasing crackdown on social media dissidents, while promising to restore democracy which he suspended in a coup two years ago

Can you say "oxymoron?"

I wish I did.

W

Nope. But thank you.

W

First of all, thanks for a sensible reply; second

I'd urge you to read the thread again - in my perspective the - the one making claims - out of subjective perception of things - cries wolf, and now the one wanting evidence am shot down - by knowing better - countering the wolf's imminent existence. Tried to be a little poetic, sorry if that doesn't ring to you smile.png

And for sure I tried to keep it polite - if you took offence then I'm kinda saddened, maybe TVF has sharpened my teeth, but I was calling out "trolling".

I appreciate everybody's opinion - as long as it isn't plain out trolling/bashing - I think then you're entitled to play the game smile.png

"if you took offence then I'm kinda saddened"

I am remarkably hard to offend, but not for the usual reasons. It's not important in the overall scheme of things. I really don't have a dog in this race, all my dogs are in different races.

W

All these quotes about 'enforcing the law'...excuse me, but read the same news the rest of the world is reading about Thailand...law as the civilised world knows it is not being exercised here..& within the same folk overseas who are witnessing the breakdown in Thailand's police force, & juditional system are people/companies who WERE willing to invest in this nation..!

Is the good ship 'Siam' taking in water yet..??

"if you took offence then I'm kinda saddened"

I am remarkably hard to offend, but not for the usual reasons. It's not important in the overall scheme of things. I really don't have a dog in this race, all my dogs are in different races.

W

So all in all just noise post. I would've liked to hear some input - but hey ho, that's just the way it goes.

Have a nice night, and hope that 0 input gave you at least shits and giggles :)

We shall see.

All these quotes about 'enforcing the law'...excuse me, but read the same news the rest of the world is reading about Thailand...law as the civilised world knows it is not being exercised here..& within the same folk overseas who are witnessing the breakdown in Thailand's police force, & juditional system are people/companies who WERE willing to invest in this nation..!

Is the good ship 'Siam' taking in water yet..??

Perhaps that's why they are so keen to have some submarines?

I recall starting a thread on TV, perhaps a decade ago, suggesting that the rising level of communication via social-media would make it increasingly hard for the powers-that-be to keep a lid on the information which was freely-available to the masses, unlike with television or newspapers previously.

The Chinese have arguably shown that it might be possible, to keep a lid on things, but only with draconian actions which I don't yet see being effectively applied here.

Perhaps the politicians and poo-yais should learn to accept that the world has changed, and give up on their attempts to control what people think or say to each other, in the long-run they're backing a loser ?

I recall starting a thread on TV, perhaps a decade ago, suggesting that the rising level of communication via social-media would make it increasingly hard for the powers-that-be to keep a lid on the information which was freely-available to the masses, unlike with television or newspapers previously.

The Chinese have arguably shown that it might be possible, to keep a lid on things, but only with draconian actions which I don't yet see being effectively applied here.

Perhaps the politicians and poo-yais should learn to accept that the world has changed, and give up on their attempts to control what people think or say to each other, in the long-run they're backing a loser ?

I don't think they can. We are talking about greedy and corrupt people unwilling to cede any power or privilege to the great unwashed. As I have said before, 'Either we run the place or nobody does' is the mentality we are dealing with. Why should they care if Thailand becomes the new Zimbabwe providing they and theirs are comfortable?

The Chinese got their controls in place early in the development of social media, what the people never had for the most part they don't miss. Here it is too late. Every week one or other of the networks is offering a base model smartphone for less than ThB1000. There must be tens of millions of users. Bolt the stable door, but the horse is gone, and galloping over the horizon. If I was in the junta (!) that is what would be keeping me awake at night. Edited by JAG

Astonishing. That's a record. That's the first time I've read through a thread and felt obliged to 'Like' EVERY SINGLE POST.

I kid you not. Every single post in this thread impressed. Kudos all round.

W

The cheque is in the mail.cheesy.gif