President Castro says Cuba won't return to OAS

rooster59

President Castro says Cuba won't return to OAS

ANDREA RODRIGUEZ, Associated Press

HAVANA (AP) — President Raul Castro says Cuba will not return to the Organization of American States after the regional group's secretary called for possible sanctions against Venezuela.

Castro spoke Saturday at a summit of Caribbean countries being held on the island.

He extended "our most firm solidarity to our brothers the Venezuelan people, to the legitimate government of President Nicolas Maduro."

The Cuban president called the OAS "an instrument of imperialist domination" that will never change and "because of that Cuba will never return."

The U.S. pushed for Cuba's departure from the OAS in 1962.

OAS Secretary General Luis Almargo has cited human rights concerns in asking the region's nations to apply the group's "Democratic Charter" against Venezuela, which could lead to diplomatic isolation and commercial sanctions.

Venezuela has condemned the move.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-06-05

Cuban achievments?

Great auto industry they have there and the Human Rights focus is right behind Communist China! facepalm.gif

Seems like your hero has some issues with Cuba

Edited by wabothai

Cuban achievments?

Great auto industry they have there and the Human Rights focus is right behind Communist China! facepalm.gif

As the PM in the UK Cameron stated "You can tell how stable a country is by how many people are leaving as compared to how many want in." I do not see a horde of former Cubans trying to go back ,do you ? And you are right about American domination. of The OAS When you put in the most money you want the best seat.

Edited by sanukjim

A great vacation place from what we all hear...smile.png

Very correct.......... many Carribean islands (and Hawaii and Tahaiti) can also be included............ And close enough to many tourist........... And I have indeed been to Cuba as a Tourist.......

But let me add that Thailand has more to offer at lower cost.. It is Hawaii or Tahaiti or Jamaica at 1/10 th the cost.

I personally love Thailand. And as many of you, I hope some of the Thai govt. will respond to it's 'illness'..........

When you look at all of Thailand 'negatives' your attention may easily be drawn away from the magnitude of 'Plusses' that Thailand has.

Los Angeles and New York and Jamaica and Dominican Republic has gangs of Thugs that would make Thailand's criminals look like a bunch of 'Christmas Carollers'

If you are thinking I'm going off topic it is necessary to draw a parallel to Cuba as a vacation place........

Freaking world is one big soap opera...with many small-plots playing out around the world...

There is a void of leadership...in every country...except N. Korea...gigglem.gif

It appears we...as a collection of diverse people around the world...have decided not to get along and are headed full speed into the abyss...

It will not be recorded who fired the first shot...history will remember that no one wanted to take the mantel of peacemaker...preferring war and destruction over peace and tranquillity...

North Korea Concentration Camp and Cuba Concentration Camp are disgrace for humans living in those countries and observing it world. Another is Venezuela, where people barely surviving in crime infested country. China, Vietnam and Russia have a new system called Neo-Com-Dictatorship. Wonderful world eh? And who is talking about peace? This is not a status quo, it will change...........someday and hopefully soon.

Good on Raul for not tainting Cuban achievements by joining that US-dominated organization.

His opinion probably has more to do with similar political beliefs and the fact that Venezuela was for years, holding up the Cuban economy by supplying their oil supplies for free.