Thai woman falls for "Randy" the handsome US Army general in million baht "Romance scam"

webfact

So an alleged customs officer calls requesting the transfer of hundreds of thousands of baht for supposed customs and duty clearance of a consignment that allegedly contains a large amount of foreign cash - and the called person doesn't become suspicious right away? Instead, she runs to the bank several times and dutifully transfers the demanded amounts?

I don't know. How stupid (or greedy) can you get? If it were me, I'd ask where I could inspect the consignment first before I'd remit a single baht. I'd also ask to send me official documentation including a detailed notification of duties to be paid. Furthermore, I'd ask whether the customs department considers inbound consignments containing large amounts of cash as possible money laundering or smuggling of foreign funds, because surely there are other ways to legally bring foreign cash into the country without resorting to couriering it packed in a large bag.

But mind you, I am not a "businesswoman and hotel owner", so perhaps I am getting this all wrong. I am also not nearly greedy enough to fall for such a scam.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this sort of thing has been happening for a number of years now .. Honestly you would think by now the immigration bureau would put tougher sanctions on African countries coming into Thailand by now if it's not drugs or prostitution.. it's these sort of scams and set some minimum requirements when entering the kingdom .. even the cost of visa is a joke and is too cheap Tourist Visa 1200B Transit Visa 950B Non – Immigrant Visa Single 2300THB complete joke them prices when you look at other counties ..

Edited by Nicolas32

Well this sort of thing has been happening for a number of years now .. Honestly you would think by now the immigration bureau would put tougher sanctions on African countries coming into Thailand by now if it's not drugs or prostitution.. it's these sort of scams and set some minimum requirements when entering the kingdom .. even the cost of visa is a joke and is too cheap Tourist Visa 1200B Transit Visa 950B Non Immigrant Visa Single 2300THB complete joke them prices when you look at other counties ..

Err, this is Thailand and not Monaco we are talking about here...

My wife had me talk to a classmate of hers who was falling for the same scam. I told her her paramour was not Scottish (based on his extremely poor English) and that the whole thing was a scam. I said if it was somehow real, then just go to customs at the airport and ask them if they were holding a package for her.

The woman got angry at my wife, accusing her of trying to destroy her happiness. She said my wife "got hers," and now she wanted to keep the woman from getting hers, too.

She has not spoken to my wife since.

I wonder if the Immigration police officer in the picture is communicating with the two Africans in English?

English is the official language of both countries, so quite possibly.

Yes, I know, and I'm sure they speak English quite well. It was the Immigration Officer I was actually wondering about, or was he just making "a point"?

Yes, I may sound like a Racist, but I am not sure what most of the African men and women have to offer Thailand ??

But plenty come here for drink and fun, too many are here for crime and scams, including Trafficking of Thailand Ladies !!

My wife had be talk to a classmate of hers who was falling for the same scam. I told her her paramour was not Scottish (based on his extremely poor English) and that the whole thing was a scam. I said if it was somehow real, then just go to customs at the airport and ask them if they were holding a package for her.

The woman got angry at my wife, accusing her of trying to destroy her happiness. She said my wife "got hers," and now she wanted to keep the woman from getting hers, too.

She has not spoke to my wife since.

I take it she is now married to the Scottish man of her dreams. Or, if not, she is blaming you & your wife for screwing it all up.

Maybe these Nigerians will be lucky and end up in the same cell as the Thai thugs who kicked the elderly

British couple.

Nigerians have been doing these kind of scams for decades, all over the world.

Whoa....So Randy is a General and a Prince??? with dual nationalities!!!!....What a lucky guy to be getting married to. Hope they sort all this out quickly.

When we leave our doors open or leave valuables lying around we don't deserve what might happen next. We don't need to be told we are stupid at a time when we need a bit of understanding and sympathy. Stupid people make mistakes and are stupid often. So, do intelligent people make mistakes, are forgetful, not quite vigilant enough and do stupid things sometimes?

Nobody but the scammers themselves deserve to be scammed. The woman was innocent but very naïve and greedy and invited trouble. Too much emphasis is being placed on her rather than the Scammer who in this case has been found out. She has lost money; we hope he loses his freedom.

It is the crime that has to be the punished not the stupidity.

smelt?

It's a British word. They don't know how to speak English there.

"Smelt a rat" is an English phrase or saying meaning to discover that someone is trying to deceive you or do you harm.

I know the saying, just never heard it or seen written quite like that though.

Thing about people who get swindled like this is, they'll say how they 'lost all their money to a con man'. They didn't lose it;they gave it away being greedy.

Edited by Rob13

was she blind or on medication? Handsome?????

The scammer didn`t put his own,ugly black face on the FB profile.He puts a picture of a white man as his profile picture and the background picture will almost always contain some christian symbols,super religious as these scammers are.

And for those finding pleasure in the misfortune of this unfortunate Thai woman,Western women are being scammed equally easy by this scumbags on a daily basis !!

now i know what the nigerians, libirians and other african nationals that saunter around the nana area as if they own the universe wearing their self importance , gold chains , bracelets, rings and expensive looking watches do for a living. they are financiers of a kind, lubicating the delivery of money around the world via the oily words that dribble out of their mouth..

facepalm.gif

I thought everyone knew that NIGERIANS are by far the biggest Con Artists in the world apart from Skimming bank cards and drugs of course.

As the age old saying goes....

'IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT PROBABLY IS.'

When I was crew with BA I caught a Nigerian on route from LHR to HKG who tried to buy loads of Watches etc ..... buying Watches going TO Hong Kong? Ah No.

He was dressed well in Business Class.

I told the Stewardess to get the Credit Card slip signed and get his Passport.....Stolen AMEX Platinum.....BA Security at LHR was contacted on High Frequency radio and the crook was arrested on arrival........

A gang had been at it for years on airlines thinking we had no way of checking!

Got 4 Years in prison in Hong Kong.clap2.gif