Plaa Pow Available In Bkk?

austallia_1980

I don't know what's kind of grilled fish u have eaten on the Mekong river

but ,obviously you can find it in BKK

example

Nittaya Gaiyang

(2 branches on Chaengwathhtana area)

1Meungthing thani3

2 Klong Prapa area (near Ngam wongwan Rd)

this place , they will cover fish with salt and grill it

...some places they grill fish with herb in Aluminum foil , Banana leaf ..etc

I ate "Plaa Pow" on the Mekong river several times, but I have yet to see it available in BKK. Please tell me there is somewhere I can go to get my fix.

Hey Oz80

Pla Paow - be sure to say it with the full open mouthed pronunciation of "paow", not like the English word for hitting something, or they won't know what you're asking for. It means grilled fish, and the way will depend on the type of fish available, and where in the country you are.

Most sea fish seem to be grilled straight over the coals without much done to them. Up by the Mekong you most likely ate Pla Paow Kleua - Salt Grilled Fish. I live in Chiang Mai and can't help you with where to go, but I can help you ask for the right thing, assuming that's what you ate. Thye tend to sell it all over up here, the fish is slowly griled in a salt crust over coals after it has been stuffed with any number of herbs like basil, lemongrass, or black pepper.

For me the highlight of Pla Paow Kleuah is Pla Tabtim Paow Kleau - the Tabtim fish is a red, member of the tilapia family - Pla Nin (sometimes Nile Fish, as it comes from Africa/Egypt). Personally I find Tabtim the best for their juciness, delicate flavor, and meatiness. Pla Nin sometimes taste a little fishy or even muddy to me.

What really makes Pla Paow so killer for me is the suace they serve with it. Oftent hey don't give it to Farang unless you ask, but Naam Jim Saam Rot is awesome, with its comination of bright flavors - garlic, lime, chillies, and fish sauce. A dab of this really lights up a piece of tender salt grilled fish.

If you find a good one in BKK, maybe come back n post later so I can go check it out next time I'm down that way.

Cheers Austallia_1980,

Cant help you with where to get in BKK but here is a photo of fresh caught fish in the Phi Mai area that we salt and then BBQ,Aloy Mak Mak :D:D:D:D Realthaideal you are right on about the Namm Jim Saam Rot that is a must.I have an old photo somewere of it I believe I have posted it in the past.

Forgot to attach the photo :o

post-14263-1163691260_thumb.jpg

Edited by blue eyes

I don't know what's kind of grilled fish u have eaten on the Mekong river

but ,obviously you can find it in BKK

example

Nittaya Gaiyang

(2 branches on Chaengwathhtana area)

1Meungthing thani3

2 Klong Prapa area (near Ngam wongwan Rd)

this place , they will cover fish with salt and grill it

...some placees they grill fish with herb in Aluminum foil , Banana leaf ..etc

can you please give me directions to either of these places? i live on sukhumwit and do not recognize either. directions in thai language would be fine also. thanks a bunch