Opening a bank account in chiang mai

Reborncarcare

re

Dave2, it's not quite that easy now. The other day the asst. manager from Bangkok Bank KSK called me, asking if I knew Mr. XXX -- he said the guy was a newcomer in town and wanted to open a bank account with a large sum of money but only had a 30 day visa exempt entry, was staying in a guest house and didn't have any references. The bank official really wanted open an account for him because of the large sum of money, but with their new rules he needed a reference for the guy so he was calling around hoping to find someone responsible who might have had some contact with the guy who could come in and vouch for him. The need something in writing for their files now.

ok nancy i understand that but i still think my way might work in some branches smile.png

between the arrows on thaphae road there are about five banks smile.png

trying my way in each bank is going to take you how long .. two hours ?

ok two hours wasted .... but you might be lucky in one !

dave2

re

A temporary tourist arrives in town on holiday and a Bangkok Bank assistant manager personally contacted you to ask if you knew him. Why would he do that? Would it had not been simpler for the assistant manager to ask the customer if he knew you or anyone else in Chiang Mai that could provide a reference? If the customer said yes, then the bank could check the names or if no, end of story, that`s how it normally works.

Doesn`t add up.

yes it does

nancy l

is well respected and known in chiang mai higher circles from hospitals banks hotels immigration embassys consulates police etc and thais in authority everywhere !

pps ... even i know her smile.png

You mean her reputation is so highly regarded that banks are contacting her to give references for tourists? If a foreign customer wanted to deposit a very large amount of money into a Thai bank, even a tourist and the bank have concerns about money laundering or the money may be proceeds from criminal activities, this woman`s word that the customer is of good standing would be sufficient to give the customer the all clear and go ahead to open an account even if the customer did not approached her or give her name to the bank for a reference from the beginning? Well I be damned.

Usually banks anywhere if customers apply for accounts and need to give names or companies for references, the banks may try to confirm these are authentic by phone calls or asking for a written confirmation from a referee, but I have never heard of a bank phoning around to ask people if they may know someone on the off chance. Never heard of so much tripe in all my life.

The potential customer was probably asked if he was member of the CM Expats Club and said "Yes", but couldn't produce a member card. All I would do anyway is confirm if someone was a member or not. This person wasn't and the fact he lied about it (he hadn't even signed up to receive the on-line newsletter, which you don't have to be a member to receive) told the assistant manager something about him, didn't it?

Edit: I'll save someone the trouble and point out that it's not exactly a difficult process to join CEC.

Are you saying that your club holds so much influence with certain banks that they actually ask customers trying to open bank accounts if they are members? I`m done.

Dave2, it's not quite that easy now. The other day the asst. manager from Bangkok Bank KSK called me, asking if I knew Mr. XXX -- he said the guy was a newcomer in town and wanted to open a bank account with a large sum of money but only had a 30 day visa exempt entry, was staying in a guest house and didn't have any references. The bank official really wanted open an account for him because of the large sum of money, but with their new rules he needed a reference for the guy so he was calling around hoping to find someone responsible who might have had some contact with the guy who could come in and vouch for him. The need something in writing for their files now.

A temporary tourist arrives in town on holiday and a Bangkok Bank assistant manager personally contacted you to ask if you knew him. Why would he do that? Would it had not been simpler for the assistant manager to ask the customer if he knew you or anyone else in Chiang Mai that could provide a reference? If the customer said yes, then the bank could check the names or if no, end of story, that`s how it normally works.

Doesn`t add up.

Because she's the Thai Visa 2016 Poster of the Year, that's why.

Edited by mesquite

Doesn`t add up.

don't want to sound pedantic,but whats tv got to do with the branch manager.if I rember correctly the last lady manager of Bangkok branch ksk got moved to Bangkok bank in mai sai just by the bridge,for questionable reasons.

Doesn`t add up.

She considers me a bit of a cult you know. The word began with a C, so I take it that what she mean`t. It`s no wonder I never problems opening bank accounts in Chiang Mai.

re

ok nancy i understand that but i still think my way might work in some branches smile.png

between the arrows on thaphae road there are about five banks smile.png

trying my way in each bank is going to take you how long .. two hours ?

ok two hours wasted .... but you might be lucky in one !

dave2

re

Doesn`t add up.

yes it does

nancy l

is well respected and known in chiang mai higher circles from hospitals banks hotels immigration embassys consulates police etc and thais in authority everywhere !

pps ... even i know her smile.png

You mean her reputation is so highly regarded that banks are contacting her to give references for tourists? If a foreign customer wanted to deposit a very large amount of money into a Thai bank, even a tourist and the bank have concerns about money laundering or the money may be proceeds from criminal activities, this woman`s word that the customer is of good standing would be sufficient to give the customer the all clear and go ahead to open an account even if the customer did not approached her or give her name to the bank for a reference from the beginning? Well I be damned.

Usually banks anywhere if customers apply for accounts and need to give names or companies for references, the banks may try to confirm these are authentic by phone calls or asking for a written confirmation from a referee, but I have never heard of a bank phoning around to ask people if they may know someone on the off chance. Never heard of so much tripe in all my life.

The potential customer was probably asked if he was member of the CM Expats Club and said "Yes", but couldn't produce a member card. All I would do anyway is confirm if someone was a member or not. This person wasn't and the fact he lied about it (he hadn't even signed up to receive the on-line newsletter, which you don't have to be a member to receive) told the assistant manager something about him, didn't it?

Edit: I'll save someone the trouble and point out that it's not exactly a difficult process to join CEC.

Are you saying that your club holds so much influence with certain banks that they actually ask customers trying to open bank accounts if they are members? I`m done.

I think you'll find the wording from Bangkok Bank is:

• Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive

Both I personally and CM Expats Club are considered "people acceptable" to the KSK branch of Bangkok Bank by virtue of the size of our accounts, our account activity and reputation in the community. I think you'll find that other organizations have similar "influence", both Thai and foreign. I'm not bragging, just stating how business is done here.

I think in the case in question, the assistant manager was trying to "help" the potential customer to qualify to obtain a new account (because he presented a large potential deposit) and asked him if he had a work permit (no), and when he said he was planning to retire here (but didn't have a visa, the assistant manager helpfully asked him if he was a member of CEC -- trying to grasp at anything to get him qualified to open an account.

Being a member of CEC certainly isn't a "condition" of opening an account there smile.png

^^

When I opened my account last week they said anyone with a BK Bank account would do as a reference.

I just walked outside the mall and found a Red Taxi driver with a BK Bank account, he gave me a reference and I gave him a 200bht tip.

Maybe he was a major account holder, or maybe they just don't really care, he looked like a tramp driving a Taxi to me.

I opened my account with a 1,000bht note, guest house address, and my British passport stamped for 30 days entry.

Edited by MissAndry