webfact

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alai wah?

When I saw the headlines I thought of one of the elite in Bangkok having his classic painting from the 16th or 17th century authenticated by the great and knowledgable Thai Art Professor and his assistance s while the rest of the art world said it was a fake and not a very good one at that..He still claims that it is worth $40,000,000 . That is dollars not baht. 55555

Typically, hand-drawn geometric drawings take a long time to produce depending of course on the size of the canvas, but six years! I suspect what contributes to the value of a drawing or painting is whether or not the artist is well known or 'recognised' by art critics or people who are known and respected for evaluating such works of art.

Positive endorsement of this kind would consist of the critic or expert seeing in the work the ability of it to make a powerful impact on the viewer, to arouse or engender an emotional response which may be resultant from the artist's ability in the use of colour, perspective, symbolism, capturing the essence of something as in Impressionism, the depiction of light as with Turner or some other appeal.

For me this drawing is an unsuccessful attempt at combining styles such as Cubism and Naive and forms only an uncohesive mish-mash of geometric patterns which would warrant a title such as 'The Eye of Geometrical collage' or 'A discordant study of geometric patterns with eye'.

Regarding value; I'd put it at about Baht 30,000. and I also think that the whole concept would have been better expressed as an instillation.

Edited by piersbeckett

This is not the first time Pinid has tried to sell the painting. In 1996, he sat on the street near Silpakorn University in Bangkok and tried to sell the drawing for THB19 million, according to NNT.

Panid said a foreign couple stopped their car to check out the artwork. They offered THB10 million, but he refused

I used to do stuff like that in my teens. Why do people have to be so greedy? Best way to get some real money for artwork is to die, though with a name like Pinid Kaewklaeye it's not gonna be easy. You should've taken the 10, you nitwit!

That foreign couple was me and mam'. And we offered him 10mil Lao Kip!! Not thb... We just came back from Laos and didn't know what to with the money we had left.......

if you have 88 millions to burn for fun, would you?

a ) buy this painting and put in your living room

b )Hire 200 stunning babe for a full year, and have your own harem? tongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.png

if you answered a), please contact me i have a good deal for you...

Edited by Bender

I have to give the guy credit for getting the media to publish this story.

That in itself is as amazing as the price he's asking.

nothing to see here

He made it a bizzare story by asking a ridiculous price.

Actually pretty smart when you think about it.

It now has exposure and people commenting and thats what he set out to do.

I guess if it gets enough publicity, some dough-head will pay something for it.

better than gathering dust in the garage

I have found many people have a very over estimated value of items they have control over /own. The norm seems to be land, house,

vehicle, especially motorcycle, their body, their time, knowledge (what little they have), etc.

The abundance and the need of middlemen seems to bring things back into prespective quite quickly. Most of these people do not know

where to go to unload their junk, so they wait on a middleman to relieve them of their goodies and take what is offered.

Typically, hand-drawn geometric drawings take a long time to produce depending of course on the size of the canvas, but six years! I suspect what contributes to the value of a drawing or painting is whether or not the artist is well known or 'recognised' by art critics or people who are known and respected for evaluating such works of art.

Positive endorsement of this kind would consist of the critic or expert seeing in the work the ability of it to make a powerful impact on the viewer, to arouse or engender an emotional response which may be resultant from the artist's ability in the use of colour, perspective, symbolism, capturing the essence of something as in Impressionism, the depiction of light as with Turner or some other appeal.

For me this drawing is an unsuccessful attempt at combining styles such as Cubism and Naive and forms only an uncohesive mish-mash of geometric patterns which would warrant a title such as 'The Eye of Geometrical collage' or 'A discordant study of geometric patterns with eye'.

Regarding value; I'd put it at about Baht 30,000. and I also think that the whole concept would have been better expressed as an instillation.

'They eye of geometrical collage' or 'dog sh** on my shoe'

Let the guy put whatever price-tag he wants. It is his work - his price... You don't like it ? Don't buy it... it is that simple

I have a bagel for sale for 5,000 Dollars

I Hope he will buy it when he sells the Painting

So a bunch of pen colored squares and circles and shapes that he started doodling with as a little kid is now considered valuable art work. Or is he asking money because he actually opened a book and found a quote that led him to ask people what it meant?

I realize I am being critical but jeez!

so he's actually following in the footsteps of the enlightened and culturally superior west whereby abstract art is worth millions even more than his painting. Would you say the same thing about picasso's works even though they look physically the same as his drawings or are as abstract as his work.

This is not the first time Pinid has tried to sell the painting. In 1996, he sat on the street near Silpakorn University in Bangkok and tried to sell the drawing for THB19 million, according to NNT.

Panid said a foreign couple stopped their car to check out the artwork. They offered THB10 million, but he refused

I used to do stuff like that in my teens. Why do people have to be so greedy? Best way to get some real money for artwork is to die, though with a name like Pinid Kaewklaeye it's not gonna be easy. You should've taken the 10, you nitwit!

I'm sure if anybody offered him more that 20,000 he would take it. His whole story reeks of bullshit.

So a bunch of pen colored squares and circles and shapes that he started doodling with as a little kid is now considered valuable art work. Or is he asking money because he actually opened a book and found a quote that led him to ask people what it meant?

I realize I am being critical but jeez!

so he's actually following in the footsteps of the enlightened and culturally superior west whereby abstract art is worth millions even more than his painting. Would you say the same thing about picasso's works even though they look physically the same as his drawings or are as abstract as his work.

If it was doodled as a pre-teen like this one was I would say exactly the same... this is not art.. it is a bored kid coloring shapes instead of doing his school work.

This boy has got to be dreaming, he should reduce the price by 20 million for quick sale 555

The boy is not one hundred percent, as one of my Thai friends says about people who are crazy or half wits.