Thaksin Banned From Entering Thailand

george

I bet we would all be surprised who was included in Thaksin's business deals, fat chance the junta will let us know.

Could you tell us? You can use PM if you want it to stay confidential. :o

Believe me, nothing I've written is in anyway pro-Thaksin. I just agree with Supinya (the free press chick) that the junta is far more dangerous than old square head ever was. Some of the anti-Thaksin brigade got so caught up in it that they have fallen into complicitly supporting something far worse than what they originally found unacceptable.

I personally don't think so, and I don't see that the junta is far worse, quite the contrary, even in media control and human rights sense.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Thaksin would never include anyone else in his business deals. He's far too egocentric for that... but anyway... nice try. The pro-Thaksin following gets weaker by the day."

I bet we would all be surprised who was included in Thaksin's business deals, fat chance the junta will let us know. Believe me, nothing I've written is in anyway pro-Thaksin. I just agree with Supinya (the free press chick) that the junta is far more dangerous than old square head ever was. Some of the anti-Thaksin brigade got so caught up in it that they have fallen into complicitly supporting something far worse than what they originally found unacceptable.

Sorry if I mistook your apologetic-Thaksin posts as being pro-Thaksin. Your going on ever-loosening tangents involving Myanmar led me to think that.

Do you have a quote from Supinya that says that? :o

No one has the nearly-six year history of tyranny that Thakky had... involving murders, corruption, and endless etc.

Sorry if I mistook your apologetic-junta posts and being pro-junta. Your repetition of junta propoganda led me to think that. Google for the Supinya quote, it was in the Nation and the Post. The Thai people should not be punished for Thaksin's tyrrany by a Myanmar-like political machine.

Edited by mdeland

I bet we would all be surprised who was included in Thaksin's business deals, fat chance the junta will let us know.

Could you tell us? You can use PM if you want it to stay confidential. :o

Believe me, nothing I've written is in anyway pro-Thaksin. I just agree with Supinya (the free press chick) that the junta is far more dangerous than old square head ever was. Some of the anti-Thaksin brigade got so caught up in it that they have fallen into complicitly supporting something far worse than what they originally found unacceptable.

I personally don't think so, and I don't see that the junta is far worse, quite the contrary, even in media control and human rights sense.

Plus, what do you think the motivations of the army to provide heavy artillery to entertain kids at Children's Day is? Why do you think the organizers of this event accepted their offer? What does this portend for the creation of a generation that believes in negotiation (through democracy) over the law of the jungle? (Wait till THOSE pictures hit the international press!)

It's the tradition here, I believe, to let kids into palces like military bases and government buildings, it's not junta's invention.

I also think kids all over the world would love to climb onto a tank. Nothing sinister about that.

Give them a break, collecting paper birds falling from the sky was an event of the year for kids down south.

It's the tradition here, I believe, to let kids into palces like military bases and government buildings, it's not junta's invention.

I also think kids all over the world would love to climb onto a tank. Nothing sinister about that.

Yes- 100% correct. The military has always been a big "benefactor" on children's day.

I think it is great. The children would definitely enjoy seeing and climbing on the equipment, and it would contribute to a sense of nationalistic pride that the children will keep forever. Absolutely nothing wrong with being proud of your country and it's people.

Do you have a quote from Supinya that says that? :o

Why else would Supinya be a regular attendee of the anti-junta protests?

She and several of her collegues from the 'Campaign for Popular Media Reform' even held their own protest against the abolition of the constitution only a week or two after the coup at the Domocracy Monument.

If the Thai generals have learned one thing from the generals in Myanmar, it's that the previously elected leader must be kept out of the press and off the streets as much as possible. In Myanmar, they've been quite successful using house arrest. In Thailand, this would succeed for about 3 days at most, leaving the Thai generals only one option, keep the previously elected leader out of the country and delay the election indefinitely to "preserve" national unity.

Watching ASTV last evening, Sonthi L. was showing footage of supporters of Panthongtae outside the building while he testified. Funny enough, the same faces that were supporting the ex Election Committee when they testified and also seen during other protests. :o Like carpideiras, women who are paid to cry at people's funerals

s2_copy136.jpg

Thai carpideiras mourn for Panthongtae

Google for the Supinya quote, it was in the Nation and the Post.

Sorry, but you got things a little backward... you were the one making the claim that she said that... hence the responsibility is on yourself to provide evidence of that... until then, it's an unverified and thus unbelievable claim.

*edit*

having now read the link provided by hammered, I think she's wrong in her assessment, mainly due to her focus on media freedom, which is understandable given that is what her NGO is about, but it doesn't take into consideration the many other issues which mark the previous despot's rule.

Edited by sriracha john

Yes- 100% correct. The military has always been a big "benefactor" on children's day.

I think it is great. The children would definitely enjoy seeing and climbing on the equipment, and it would contribute to a sense of nationalistic pride that the children will keep forever. Absolutely nothing wrong with being proud of your country and it's people.

post-9005-1168678945_thumb.jpg

An annual event here for years...

and even better than climbing on Army tanks is climbing onboard a Naval gunship

(but then again, I'm prejudiced in that regard)

Children's Day

Onboard HTMS Sriracha

Today, January 13, 2007

Edited by sriracha john

Sorry, but you got things a little backward... you were the one making the claim that she said that... hence the responsibility is on yourself to provide evidence of that... until then, it's an unverified and thus unbelievable claim.

*edit*

having now read the link provided by hammered, I think she's wrong in her assessment, mainly due to her focus on media freedom, which is understandable given that is what her NGO is about, but it doesn't take into consideration the many other issues which mark the previous despot's rule.

Supinya is a media freedom fighter in Thailand, and you are ?

Edited - leave out the personal insluts please !

if you have now taken over the role of fighting for media freedom in thailand from this woman, then state in every detail, how she is wrong?

Edited by chonabot
Personal insults not required

*edit*

you should listen and learn from such people and not be such a armchair muppet

if you have now taken over the role of fighting for media freedom in thailand from this woman, then state in every detail, how she is wrong?

I dont see SJ as a muppet. He was making a point that if someone quotes from somewhere, then show the quote!!

Whats wrong with that.

There are muppets on here, sure, but they are usually the ones that only have negative things to say about other forum users, and despite warnings just keep on and on.

Their names usually are associated with South American countries or Nuts :o

Give them a break, collecting paper birds falling from the sky was an event of the year for kids down south.

It's a tradition in my country of origin to let kids into (parts of) military bases, attend military parades and demonstrations. (though the kids are told at these field trippy type events something that many adults till haven't figured out- artillery is not a toy). However it is not a tradition of providing a battalion of tanks for them to play on at Children's Day or its equivalent. Is it a tradition in Thailand? That's a sincere question- I don't know.

It's a tradition in my country of origin to let kids into (parts of) military bases, attend military parades and demonstrations. (though the kids are told at these field trippy type events something that many adults till haven't figured out- artillery is not a toy). However it is not a tradition of providing a battalion of tanks for them to play on at Children's Day or its equivalent. Is it a tradition in Thailand? That's a sincere question- I don't know.

Yes it is, Blaze. For as long as I have been here anyway

*edit*

SJ was making a point that if someone quotes from somewhere, then show the quote!!

Whats wrong with that.

s john can give everyone the exact points in every detail to which he feels supinya is wrong

after all his comment mentions the fact that he has read the article and feels she is wrong in her assessment.

then please tell us why she is wrong?

after all she is a media freedom fighter and s john is?

[Any more personal insults will result in a holiday. /Meadish]

The quote in that article was a one sentence taken out of context. You can't pass a judgement in a case like this.

I, for one, would like to ask her if she's really afraid to be sued for 400 million by junta like she was sued by Thaksin. She's the only one who really knows how it feels.

Brazil, the way I remember your posts about anti Thaksin movement up to the coup, you didn't give a ###### about Supinya's opinions yourself.

Interesting plus

supinya has never been an enemy of my thought process

in fact

i would say i am very much on supinya's side

and certainlyi am not on the side of some of the armchair muppets which would very much include the anti-taksin muppets

a military coup is simple termonolgy=GREED

The smaller the mind, the greater the conceit!!

Brazil, the way I remember your posts about anti Thaksin movement up to the coup, you didn't give a ###### about Supinya's opinions yourself.

Interesting plus

in fact

and certainlyi am not on the side of some of the armchair muppets which would very much include the anti-taksin muppets

good

then please answer for s john as to why supinya is wrong to voice concern on freedom of speech in thailand?

you would rather answer for s john?

or for freedom of speech in thailand?

Interesting plus

in fact

JnD: "I dont see SJ as a muppet. He was making a point that if someone quotes from somewhere, then show the quote!!

Whats wrong with that.

There are muppets on here, sure, but they are usually the ones that only have negative things to say about other forum users, and despite warnings just keep on and on.

Their names usually are associated with South American countries or Nuts"

Look familiar? Kettle / Pot / Black, mean anything to you JnD?

As I see it; Brazil is just stating that a junta is more dangerous than an elected leader. Brazil may or may not be pro Taxin, but I think that the basic statement is undeniable. Also, his "quote" from Supinya seems to have been accurate according to the link supplied.

Nobody was more anti-Taxin than I, but the folk that are pro-"anybody that isn't Taxin" are in danger of giving the front door keys to a worse criminal. Democracy does and must have it's place. Why is Thailand an exception to this idea? (any reasons you give will not be valid!)

Lastly, I don't see SJ as a muppet either. He's a good and intelligent contributor, though I disagree with him on this point. But I'm ok with that because having the choice (to be right or wrong) is democratic. - which is the whole point really. :o

:D

Interesting plus

in fact

JnD: "I dont see SJ as a muppet. He was making a point that if someone quotes from somewhere, then show the quote!!

Whats wrong with that.

As I see it; Brazil is just stating that a junta is more dangerous than an elected leader. Brazil may or may not be pro Taxin, but I think that the basic statement is undeniable. Also, his "quote" from Supinya seems to have been accurate according to the link supplied.

Nobody was more anti-Taxin than I, but the folk that are pro-"anybody that isn't Taxin" are in danger of giving the front door keys to a worse criminal. Democracy does and must have it's place. Why is Thailand an exception to this idea? (any reasons you give will not be valid!)

Lastly, I don't see SJ as a muppet either. He's a good and intelligent contributor, though I disagree with him on this point. But I'm ok with that because having the choice (to be right or wrong) is democratic. - which is the whole point really. :o

Looks familiar??

Yes I wrote it!!

Kettle/Pot/Black? Means nothing to me at all!!

Maybe this will mean you will revisit my page and dock me some more stars??

To answer the 'sensible' point you make. I agree that democracy is important, hence the reason why Thaksin is NOT being allowed to use his lawyer and others to use propaganda to keep airing his views.

To be fair to the junta, they ,I believe, have the well being of the Thai people in their hearts. They want to be allowed to complete what they promised including the investigations of Thaksin WITHOUT interference. I do not see what is wrong with that

:D

Interesting plus

in fact

Whats wrong with that.

Looks familiar??

Yes I wrote it!!

Kettle/Pot/Black? Means nothing to me at all!!

Maybe this will mean you will revisit my page and dock me some more stars??

To answer the 'sensible' point you make. I agree that democracy is important, hence the reason why Thaksin is NOT being allowed to use his lawyer and others to use propaganda to keep airing his views.

To be fair to the junta, they ,I believe, have the well being of the Thai people in their hearts. They want to be allowed to complete what they promised including the investigations of Thaksin WITHOUT interference. I do not see what is wrong with that

Please check you words above, I've helped you a little. Dangerous, don't you think?

Democracy works equally for both sides, not just the one in power at the time....

Yes, Taxin was very bad in this regard, you will never get an attempt from me at defending him. So what's happening now? The junta are being what a junta is. Welcome to Myanmar I saw posted elsewhere, a bit strong, but has elements of truth. To repeat:-

Democracy works equally for all. Or not at all.

My 5 yr old likes playing with colours too :D

In order to get back democracy for this country, certain things have to be taken care of. I think within the next few months you will see things getting onto an even keel.

After the raping/pillaging/corruption from the previous administration, its going to take a while to mend

I'm off to look in another forum.

As usual JnD's insults get very boring, very quickly.

On the political note; I don't think that you can "take care" of situations. They should be handled democratically. It's just such a slippery slope to start "taking care of things first" and let democrassy come later. Especially when a military junta is the key player.

On the political note; I don't think that you can "take care" of situations. They should be handled democratically. It's just such a slippery slope to start "taking care of things first" and let democrassy come later. Especially when a military junta is the key player.

You are obviously not very thick skinned. If you can point out where I have insulted you I would be more than happy to apologise.

Those in glass houses should not be throwing stones. :o

You are obviously not very thick skinned. If you can point out where I have insulted you I would be more than happy to apologise.

Those in glass houses should not be throwing stones. :o

And I'm going to tell my mummy about you! :D

I was at the Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand last night and chatted with a few journalists who have been around Thailand a very long time. The general view expressed echoed that of Supinya, that the junta is far more dangerous than the previously elected administration. No, I don't have any quotes and I'm not naming any names. These are dangerous times indeed for a journalist in Thailand.

So why is every Thai newspaper heavily criticising the junta, or rather certain generals in the junta, for their request to cease reporting about Thaksin?

They have also criticised the junta's handling of the bombings, timing of limit on foreign ownership of shares and last month's clampdown on baht trading.

I don't see any fear in the Thai media. Supinya unwittingly became a heroine when Thaksin relentlessly pursued litigation against her, it doesn't mean she's always right.

Suriyasai of the PAD takes a far more realistic view of the present situation and its dificulties in my view.

Edited by Siripon

The quote in that article was a one sentence taken out of context. You can't pass a judgement in a case like this.

I, for one, would like to ask her if she's really afraid to be sued for 400 million by junta like she was sued by Thaksin. She's the only one who really knows how it feels.

You can do that easily. She is friendly and accessible.

Often she is found at the anti coup demonstrations, espcially at the larger ones, mostly quietly and unobstrusive somewhere around the crowd.

What she will answer you is that she fought against Thaksin, but not for a military coup, and exactly what she was quoted in the article.

I was at the Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand last night and chatted with a few journalists who have been around Thailand a very long time. The general view expressed echoed that of Supinya, that the junta is far more dangerous than the previously elected administration. No, I don't have any quotes and I'm not naming any names. These are dangerous times indeed for a journalist in Thailand.

So why is every Thai newspaper heavily criticising the junta, or rather certain generals in the junta, for their request to cease reporting about Thaksin?

They have also criticised the junta's handling of the bombings, timing of limit on foreign ownership of shares and last month's clampdown on baht trading.

I don't see any fear in the Thai media. Supinya unwittingly became a heroine when Thaksin relentlessly pursued litigation against her, it doesn't mean she's always right.

Suriyasai of the PAD takes a far more realistic view of the present situation and its dificulties in my view.

This regime has distinguished itself in its gentle handling of (mild) criticism, its dedication to due legal process, it's reluctance to actually scrap T's populist programs, it's kid gloves approach to the South- in short- they are showing themselves to be a viable alternative to democracy. That is truly frightening.

Edited by blaze

This regime has distinguished itself in its gentle handling of (mild) criticism, its dedication to due legal process, it's reluctance to actually scrap T's populist programs, it's kid gloves approach to the South- in short- they are showing themselves to be a viable alternative to democracy. That is truly frightening.

That is an interesting analysis although personally I dont think they could get away with postponing elections for a long period, but it may position some of them for future political office. We will see.