Enter at Poipet?

I have 1 double entry tourist visa and 1 SET tourist visa in my passport (G7 country). I have no visa exempt stamps in my passport.

Can I do an out and in trip at the Aranyapathet/Poipet crossing to get a 30 day exempt stamp? Don't care if they ask to see cash but I want to avoid being stranded in Cambodia if I do this trip with the visa run company that goes to this crossing.

Exiting Thailand at Poipet...told I should not come back if no visa in passport already. I have NO exempt stamps in my passport. But he said I can't get one. Pure hell now. Van has gone back without me. Welcome to Cambodia. Terrible.

• Like 1

Exiting Thailand at Poipet...told I should not come back if no visa in passport already. I have NO exempt stamps in my passport. But he said I can't get one. Pure hell now. Van has gone back without me. Welcome to Cambodia. Terrible.

As of today it seems previous tourist visas DO affect things here.

Strange occurrence. Maybe just a bad day for Poi Pet.

So they let you leave and you are now stuck in Cambodia. Normally they would turn you away on departure if it appeared you could not re-enter.

Yeah they let me leave and told me to fly to bkk from siem reap. if the visa company had not lied to me i would be in penang now. now is time to start losing money. horrible. i had NO VISA EXEMPTS. NONE. "you stay thailand long time........"

• Like 1

No need to give me any sympathy my friend but hopefully other people can avoid what happened to me by seeing this. It would be nice if the visa companies didnt get their info wrong. i asked them multiple times if exempt would be ok. otherwise i was a click away from buying an air ticket to penang.

• Like 1

Yes, had a feeling Poipet became problematic. Noticed that for some time now Thaivisaservice does them at Ban Laem. As of 4 days ago, there was no issue there (at Ban Laem i mean).

Ubonjoe's idea is great, you can try to come back through the other checkpoint.

Edited by lkv

Yeah I dont know. I was aware of the other checkpoint. It's nice guys like ubonjoe and others always give out advice here day in day out. I guess what I have with me now is an exercise in not getting angry...my first time driving around western Cambodia... and perhaps a more cramped van ride back to bkk later today or some nasi lemak in malaysia tomorrow.

• Like 1

Yeah I dont know. I was aware of the other checkpoint. It's nice guys like ubonjoe and others always give out advice here day in day out. I guess what I have with me now is an exercise in not getting angry...my first time driving around western Cambodia... and perhaps a more cramped van ride back to bkk later today or some nasi lemak in malaysia tomorrow.

And why would you have nasi lemak tomorrow in Malaysia. I'm not following?

I would try what ubonjoe suggested, then the second option would be what the IO suggested, flying into Thailand and getting a visa exempt at the airport.

Edited by lkv

If I get refused at another border post am flying to Penang to get a single entry visa. Thats why I would be having lemak

I added to my previous post. You're saying you would go to Malaysia for another tourist visa, but I would risk it visa exempt in the airport.

Ban Laem should work. Anyways, you actually did not try to come back through Poipet did you. You followed what the IO said. Don't come back through here. So you did not risk it. Not saying that I would have myself. Another option for the future would be, for other people in this situation, spend the night in Poipet and enter the next day, that way it's not IN-OUT.

Thai Immigration is a lottery these days.

Edited by lkv

I have a lot of tourist visas in older passports but no exempts for years. Spent time out of TH a lot too. I was let in at another border post today. If I had not been lied to by who brought me to Poipet I would gladly have gone and fetched a proper visa elsewhere. Was pressed for time, now both time and money lost anyway. I hope reading this may save someone else the same inconvenience I had. Seems even with no system alert, some entry points can be fussy. Because since I was admitted then there wasnt a system alert for my details then was there.

• Like 1

Congratulations then, problem solved.

ThaiVisaservice does it through Ban Laem, so you may consider them next time. Alternatively, if you don't want to use them, their website is up to date with Immigration changes at various border points.

In the future, we welcome you more on this forum, I've noticed you're new.

Have a great day!

I have a lot of tourist visas in older passports but no exempts for years. Spent time out of TH a lot too. I was let in at another border post today. If I had not been lied to by who brought me to Poipet I would gladly have gone and fetched a proper visa elsewhere. Was pressed for time, now both time and money lost anyway. I hope reading this may save someone else the same inconvenience I had. Seems even with no system alert, some entry points can be fussy. Because since I was admitted then there wasnt a system alert for my details then was there.

Glad to read that you got in elsewhere. Not sure why you were singled out at that border as they have been allowing out/in visa exempt entries. Your whole visa history was probably known to the border IO as your passports would probably be linked, but it's strange that you were denied re-entry without a history of recent visa exempt entries.

Thanks much for posting your experiences. If I am denied a TouristVisa in PP next round (have to wonder if there might be a coordinated change afoot), Ban Laem for a VisaExempt will be an option to consider - though more likely I would head to Laos for a Tourst Visa (I only have one from Laos in this passport).

Glad to read that you got in elsewhere. Not sure why you were singled out at that border as they have been allowing out/in visa exempt entries. Your whole visa history was probably known to the border IO as your passports would probably be linked, but it's strange that you were denied re-entry without a history of recent visa exempt entries.

He was not denied reentry, he was told on his way out: " don't come back through here, fly in".

He was not denied reentry, he was told on his way out: " don't come back through here, fly in".

Semantics. He was denied the possibility of re-entering at the border of his choice if he exited!

Semantics. He was denied the possibility of re-entering at the border of his choice if he exited!
Yes and no. He did not actually exit Cambodia, and attempt to enter Thailand again. On a different shift or with a different officer :)

Not saying I would have taken the risk, but there is a possibility he would be let back in at Poipet also, with some cash and a plane ticket.

Just saying.

Edited by lkv