8:15 Train Surat to Hat Yai

If anybody has used this service recently, or planning to, could they let me know what time they arrived in Hat Yai?

I am looking at a trip to Penang, possibly with the other half, in about 6 weeks. If this train runs to schedule, can link to Padang Besar, then onto Penang in one day. More than half an hour late arriving at Hat Yai, the whole plan turns to crap.

Last time I used this train was about 10 months ago with major track upgrades in progress. It was nearly 3 hours late.

I would not count on making any tight connections.

I have not used the train for 2 years now, but about 2 years ago I took 6 trips, one was late one hour, the other 5 have been delayed between 5 to 7 hours. One was from BKK to Chiang Mai, the others between Bangkok and Suratthani.

Anyhow I though there is actually a train which goes all the way from Bangkok to Singapore, so maybe you don´t have to worry about connections because you just stay on the same train, you should have a look into that.

From penang beasar it is all new modern trains which take about 90mins to butterworth unlike the old days of 3-4 hrs. There are several trains so you can add some slack to your plan get some breakfast in Hat Yai etc. SRT run trains to the border to connect to ETS which is 80baht

You need a ticket in advance

https://intranet.ktmb.com.my/e-ticket/login.aspx

From penang beasar it is all new modern trains which take about 90mins to butterworth unlike the old days of 3-4 hrs. There are several trains so you can add some slack to your plan get some breakfast in Hat Yai etc. SRT run trains to the border to connect to ETS which is 80baht

You need a ticket in advance

https://intranet.ktmb.com.my/e-ticket/login.aspx

I am aware of this. The Surat train arrives 12:35 (allegedly) and the link to Padang leaves 30 min later. If it is arriving on time it makes a neat one day trip, but that's a bloody big IF.

The alternative is 171 from Surat (12:30, about 6 hours wait) and another 7 hours wait at Hat Yai, if it arrived on time.

If it goes side ways, you can could get a taxi from Hat Yai to Pedang Beasar, or you can get a bus from clock tower and book yourself onto the 5.15pm train from pedang basear.

The 1pm train to the border left bang on time last week, then an hour of waiting about at pedang basear for the 4pm train to butterworth (malaysia being 1hr ahead).

I think you'll just have to chance it and hope for the best, good luck!

If it goes side ways, you can could get a taxi from Hat Yai to Pedang Beasar, or you can get a bus from clock tower and book yourself onto the 5.15pm train from pedang basear.

The 1pm train to the border left bang on time last week, then an hour of waiting about at pedang basear for the 4pm train to butterworth (malaysia being 1hr ahead).

I think you'll just have to chance it and hope for the best, good luck!

The 5:15 from Padang is what I am aiming for, but the last time I caught the 8:15 from Surat, it was 2.5 hrs late. Even a taxi isn't going to get you there on time, and at that time of day there are long queues at the the land border crossing.

OTOH there was lots of track work replacing sleepers then. Looking for a recent traveller to see if anywhere near schedule.

• 1 month later...

Got the g/f to phone Hat Yai station a couple of times, 15 minutes after 41 due to arrive. Yep, arrived on time. Decided to take the risk, and the bloody thing was an hour late, missing the connection.

M/bike taxi to bus stop opposite Tesco, orange rattler to PB in time to connect with ETS to Penang. More luck than good management.

Coming back 7:30 ETS to PB, rail car to HY arriving 10:00 (Thai time), and 11:30 bus which makes the 18:00 ferry.