Facebook – made a disturbing discovery tonight

cyberfarang

I have a male first cousin who used to bully me when I was a child. No ahhhs or that’s a shame please, I have to mention this to explain. He has never liked me and within the family would try to put me down at every given opportunity. So he’s an enemy. I belong to 2 facebook historical England groups and on one he just happened to be an admin. On my very first post he responded with a very sarcastic and put down reply, something like they do here on Thai Visa. But many of the members liked my post something he obviously did not like.

Then all of a sudden he completely disappeared, no longer an admin on the group, could not see any of his posts on that group, past or present and no signs of him anywhere on facebook. Strange I thought, something doesn’t add up because after many years I did not believe he suddenly deleted himself without a trace. Tonight 2 people made a comment about him tagging their photos on the group, so I knew he must still be around but where? I logged out of facebook and searched his name in Google, then his named appeared as having a facebook profile and once I logged in again then again he became invisible.

Done some research and discovered that anyone with a facebook profile can block any other facebook user from seeing them anywhere on facebook and their activities on there from their setiings, even if the person they wish to block is a friend of a friend or someone who has no connections to them or any friends on their lists, can be somebody with no associations to a facebook profile at all. It means that the people they have blocked can see none of their activities on facebook, they in fact become cloaked, invisible.

This may sound like a good thing but I think this could be dangerous because the disturbing issue is that the person who has done the blocking can comment on the blocked persons posts anywhere on facebook including groups, mutual friends profiles or even make derogatory posts about the blocked person and the blocked person will be unaware of them. The only way I can see to counteract this is to block the person that has blocked you so they can’t see and interact with your facebook activities either.

I wonder how many facebook members know about this and the dangers associated with it?

As if I just read that the whole way through.

I'm gutted,2 minutes of my life I will never get back.

Anything that shortens your life must be a bonus. Is this going to be typical of the responses I get or just another non starter? If so I ask if the mods could please close this thread.

Edited by cyberfarang

Don't wet your knickers,its simply a load of cack,people will undoubtedly continue to use Stalkbook until the world ends.

I can't imagine your advice is going to deter anyone on here from using it,thoughtful as you may think your information is,it's quite simply pish.

Edited by stoneyboy

Don't wet your knickers,its simply a load of cack,people will undoubtedly continue to use Stalkbook until the world ends.

I can't imagine your advice is going to deter anyone on here from using it,thoughtful as you may think your information is,it's quite simply pish.

Undoubtedly you are right and I am not trying to deter people from using it, that`s up to them. I am trying to make people aware that reputations could be damaged on facebook without knowing it and something I think people should be in knowledge of even if some think it`s not very important.

Blocking works both ways - they won't see your posts either.

That`s correct but facebook does not alert users that someone has blocked them so we don`t know what is being said about us. What about people in business that can become under attack from anonymous competitors or ex`s out for revenge or just from people with grudges. Not good.

But they can't post on your timeline, comment on your posts, tag you or mention you, so how is anybody going to see what they're saying about you?

I think you're making a big deal about nothing here.

No, but they can comment on your posts in other peoples timelines and if being the members of same groups. Whether this is a big deal or not, it`s still a vulnerability to facebook users that I think people should be aware of. It`s really got me seriously considering deleting my facebook account.

But they can't post on your timeline, comment on your posts, tag you or mention you, so how is anybody going to see what they're saying about you?

I think you're making a big deal about nothing here.

No, but they can comment on your posts in other peoples timelines and if being the members of same groups. Whether this is a big deal or not, it`s still a vulnerability to facebook users that I think people should be aware of. It`s really got me seriously considering deleting my facebook account.

If they've blocked you, they cannot see your posts on anyone's time.

That sounds like talking behind someone's back? And, I don't think that will stop in this world in this lifetime...

The only solace might be that when people try and rip someone apart and complain about them, it usually makes them sound bad...

No facebook here...

Cyber,

You've got deep seeded issues from this. This person is still in your head after all these years. I recommend you fly to wherever this person is and confront him. Face to face. Mano y mano. The outcome is not important. Standing up to him, and for yourself, will have a net positive impact on your personality and character.