France restricts alcohol sales to avert more violence during Euro 2016

webfact

France restricts alcohol sales to avert more violence during Euro 2016

606x341_335412.jpg

PARIS: -- Extra security measures are being put in place to try and prevent a repeat of three days of clashes between English, Russian and French football fans in the Mediterranean port city of Marseille.

France’s Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve has also asked cities hosting the Euro 2016 tournament to ban the sale of alcohol.

“Several (departmental or regional) prefects have already imposed restrictions on the sale, transport and consumption of alcohol. I asked them to take all useful measures aimed at prohibiting the sale, drinking and transport of alcoholic drinks within sensitive areas on the eve and days of matches, and on days when ‘fanzones’ are open.”

The Russian Football Federation has also had disciplinary proceedings launched against them after ugly scenes inside Marseille’s Stade Velodrome stadium following the Russia – England match on Saturday.

Witnesses said trouble began in the stadium after flares were let off by Russian fans. Some then climbed across barriers designed to keep rival fans apart, throwing punches and kicking English supporters.

Both teams have also been warned they will be thrown out of the tournament if there is further violence.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-06-13

... clashes between English, Russian and French football fans

Things haven't changed much since Victor Hugo commented on the "civilized" behavior of the French and English running amok ... in China then.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

We Europeans are the civilized ones, and for us the Chinese are the barbarians. This is what civilization has done to barbarism.
Before history, one of the two bandits will be called France; the other will be called England.

Very interesting read and seems to me might be the most accurate portrait of what is actually happening there now.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ken-early-russians-go-to-war-with-an-english-myth-1.2682005

An Irish journalists writing in an Irish publication about "drunken English fans" provoking trouble.

Accurate portrait - your have a laugh! Bias much,

Wow just imagine what it would have been like if they had actually won the match..................coffee1.gif

Anyway I have decided to market and sell a strong alcoholic drink called "Responsibly" - That way everyone in the country can get sh1t faced drinking responsibly. And all the government will be advertising for me on the TV etc with the slogan "please drink responsibly"

All I need now is some large financial backing-------so, does anyone know any Nigerian businessmen............

Very interesting read and seems to me might be the most accurate portrait of what is actually happening there now.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ken-early-russians-go-to-war-with-an-english-myth-1.2682005

An Irish journalists writing in an Irish publication about "drunken English fans" provoking trouble.

Accurate portrait - your have a laugh! Bias much,

And whats wrong with that? I thought it gave your thugs a fair hearing actually, maybe even too fair! Gary Lineker says it's too much of a coincidence that It always happens. He also asks when is England going to wake up to the obvious? It doesn't help the team or the country. Unless you haven't noticed you've not really performed since 1966 and the team hate the reaction by the host nation. How would you feel in a team hotel if you were Rooney? It doesn't bother me to see you go home always early but it does the likes of Liniker. Now It's happened again. OK perhaps, they were attacked but not after they abused everyone from their hosts and their nearest neighbors, to goading the locals in a strong Muslim city by calling out ISIS. What does that achieve??? The truth is the hardcore thugs are actually watching in the Queen Vic back home (barred) the ones that are actually capable and trained to take on ISIS are in fact Russian. Besides, who should we listen to anyway? Sky News. Listening to them you'd think the England contingent were a bunch of boy scouts. It is accurate. You just don't like the fact that it's Irish and it's telling the truth.

Edited by bipper

On the French News they say that the Russians had not been drinking but had come for the express purpose of attacking the English. In Russia evidently they don't take the passports away from their known trouble makers. All the English did was to fight back.

On the French News they say that the Russians had not been drinking but had come for the express purpose of attacking the English. In Russia evidently they don't take the passports away from their known trouble makers. All the English did was to fight back.

I had serious doubts that the Russians were drunk, But now with the ban, they might have to fight sober people for a change.

Of course the next fight could be the last straw followed by Russia disqualified from the tournament. Hmmm, sounds like a great opportunity to provoke their hooligans into something.

Wow just imagine what it would have been like if they had actually won the match..................coffee1.gif

Anyway I have decided to market and sell a strong alcoholic drink called "Responsibly" - That way everyone in the country can get sh1t faced drinking responsibly. And all the government will be advertising for me on the TV etc with the slogan "please drink responsibly"

All I need now is some large financial backing-------so, does anyone know any Nigerian businessmen............

My idea, years ago, was to name a bar 'Moderation', so everyone was drinking in 'Moderation' !

Oxo, together we have a good business plan ! thumbsup.gif

More to the point - what can the Russia and English teams do about it? Threaten to stop playing?

That will punish the 10s of 1000s other fans on both sides who have planned and paid for their vacation for the tournament.

Segregation and more actively protectiveness by the security staff who just watched it develop and let the fans bring pyrotechnics with them into the stadium, might be a way to start.