Thai DMSC warns consumers of bacterial contamination in street orange juice

webfact

DMSC warns consumers of bacterial contamination in street orange juice

xx.jpg

BANGKOK, 13 June 2016, (NNT) - Recent findings show that the majority of orange juice sold by street vendors contains excessive amounts of artificial food coloring, preservatives, and may be contaminated with bacteria.

Food testing was conducted by the Department of Medical Science (DMSc), following the arrest of a Vietnamese couple for selling fake orange juice in Saraburi province last month. DMSc Director-General Apichai Mongkol explained that testing was performed on samples collected from the Vietnamese vendors, as well as orange juice being sold on the streets of Bangkok and its vicinity.

The report states that aside from artificial food coloring and preservatives, some of the orange juice also contained saccharin, a sugar substitute that is about 300 times sweeter than sugar. More than 60% of the samples were also positive for coliform bacteria, which could result in digestive illnesses and food poisoning.

In order to prevent a food poisoning outbreak, Dr. Apichai strongly recommended the public only buy orange juice that comes with the Food and Drug Administration's safety logo.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-06-13 footer_n.gif

Many of these orange juice sellers on the street are obviously selling fake products. They pretend it is 100% freshly made juice. But I have seen their sugar water under the cart that they use to mix with the orange juice.

And now bacteria has also beeen confirmed.

Now that's a surprise. NOT. I have NEVER seen an FDA logo on any juice sold by street vendors. Come to think of it, I have NEVER seen a label of any kind.

Don't suppose they checked any of the other myriad street foods for contamination of any kind?