Police couple killed outside Paris, child rescued: Officials

webfact

Officials: Police couple killed outside Paris, child rescued
By RAPHAEL SATTER

PARIS (AP) — A knife-wielding attacker stabbed a senior police officer to death Monday evening outside his home in a distant suburb of Paris, officials said. The attacker and a female companion of the police commander were later found dead after police commandos stormed the home and rescued the couple's three-year-old son.

French officials said anti-terrorism prosecutors were investigating the attack. The Islamic State's Amaq news agency cited an unnamed "source" as saying an IS fighter carried out the attack, but the extremist jihadist group has not officially claimed responsibility.

The off-duty police commander was attacked outside his home in Magnanville, about 35 miles (55 kilometers) west of Paris, interior minister spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet told reporters at the scene. The attacker then retreated indoors and elite police commandos laid siege to the residence, eventually storming it after a roughly three-hour standoff. Brandet said the woman, the commander's companion and a fellow police worker, was found dead, as was the attacker. The police couple's son was unharmed.

Although officials said the attacker was killed by police when they stormed the residence, it was unclear how the woman was killed.

"The toll is a heavy one," Brandet told reporters, his voice heavy with emotion. "This commander, this police officer was killed by the individual ... (and) we discovered the body of a woman. The assailant, the criminal was killed. Thankfully, a little boy was saved. He was in the house. He's safe and sound. He was saved by police officers."

The Paris prosecutor's office said early Tuesday that anti-terrorism investigators had been brought in to the case given the target, the method behind the attack, and what the attacker said to police during the ensuing standoff.

The office did not elaborate, but French media, some of them citing unnamed neighbors, reported that the attacker was heard shouting "Allahu Akbar" — Arabic for "God is Great" — during the attack.

French prosecutor Vincent Lesclous — who said he knew the slain police commander — told reporters that the boy was found "shocked but unharmed." He said the assailant's identity was unknown.

If the crime was in fact organized or inspired by IS, it would fit in with a long-established pattern of jihadist violence. France, like other countries in Europe, has seen a series of stabbings aimed at police officers or soldiers and carried out by Muslim radicals. IS has encouraged its supporters to stage such attacks.

Tensions have been particularly high since Islamic State extremists claimed responsibility for the Nov. 13 Paris attacks that killed 130 people.

In Paris, the Eiffel Tower was lit up Monday night in the colors of a rainbow to honor victims of Saturday's mass shooting at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida, that killed at least 49 people. The gunman declared his allegiance to IS in phone calls to police, but his motives remain unclear.

French President Francois Hollande condemned what he described as an "odious act," saying that he would hold a meeting at his Elysee Palace office on Tuesday.

"Light will be shed on the circumstances of this abominable drama whose investigation, under the authority of justice, will determine the exact nature," Hollande said in a statement.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-06-14

“ISIL fighter” is gunned down by commandos after murdering a senior police officer near Paris

606x341_335508.jpg

PARIS: -- French police have launched an anti-terror investigation after shooting dead a man thought to be responsible for the murder of a senior police officer and his partner.

The assailant who died when commandos stormed a house in the Paris suburb of Magnanville, is believed to have claimed allegiance to ISIL militants.

Pierre-Henry Brandet who is a spokesperson for the Interior Ministry explained what happened.

“The price is a heavy price, the police officer was killed by the individual. The investigations carried out by the police in the raid discovered the body of a woman. The assailant was shot by the police in the raid.”

One of the victims has been named as Jean-Baptiste Salvaing, aged 42, deputy chief of judicial police at Les Mureaux police station.

He is reported to have been stabbed nine times in the abdomen as he was returning home.

The three-year-old son of the couple, has meanwhile been found safe.
According the terror group’s Amaq news agency the attacker was an “Islamic State fighter”.

The tragedy comes two days after ISIL claimed the killings in Orlando and as France continue under a state of emergency following last years ISIL attacks in Paris.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-06-14

French President Francois Hollande condemned what he described as an "odious act," saying that he would hold a meeting at his Elysee Palace office on Tuesday.

If this is true then the meeting at Elysee Palace should be Hollande tendering his resignation.

Unconfirmed reports have named the suspect as Larossi Abballa, 25, adding he had been jailed for three years in 2013, six months of which were suspended, for "criminal association with the aim of preparing terrorist attacks," in a trial with seven other defendants.

http://news.sky.com/story/1711521/paris-policeman-murdered-in-terrorist-attack

and people wonder why muslims are not liked!

and russian and english and german hooligans

Oh yeah I forgot, sorry,,, they are shooting people, murdering families and blowing folk up, thanks for that

Edited by Caps

If this is true then the meeting at Elysee Palace should be Hollande tendering his resignation.

Unconfirmed reports have named the suspect as Larossi Abballa, 25, adding he had been jailed for three years in 2013, six months of which were suspended, for "criminal association with the aim of preparing terrorist attacks," in a trial with seven other defendants.

http://news.sky.com/story/1711521/paris-policeman-murdered-in-terrorist-attack

Why?

It has now been confirmed that the perpetrator had previously been imprisoned in 2013 on terrorist related charges.

Larossi Abbala claimed allegiance to Islamic State and was jailed in 2013 for "jihad links", French officials say.

http://news.sky.com/story/1711521/paris-policeman-murdered-terror-suspect-named

Morch.

Why what ?

This.

Why should a head of state resign over a terrorist attack? Is this the norm, or even a desired course of action in a crisis situation?

The French journalist and jihadhist expert David Thomson reported that Abballa had used Facebook live to post images of the attack — a video which is being examined by police. Thomson reported that while the attacker filmed himself, the three-year-old boy was behind him on the sofa. The attacker said: “I don’t know yet what I’m going to do with him.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/13/french-policeman-stabbed-death-paris

ISIS terrorist live Facebook streamed killing of French policeman and wife in front of toddler son

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/isis-terrorist-live-facebook-streamed-8186188

Edited by Morch

It has now been confirmed that the perpetrator had previously been imprisoned in 2013 on terrorist related charges.

Larossi Abbala claimed allegiance to Islamic State and was jailed in 2013 for "jihad links", French officials say.

Morch.

Why what ?

This.

Why should a head of state resign over a terrorist attack? Is this the norm, or even a desired course of action in a crisis situation?

In this case yes. It would be better having no one in charge than this little worm of a man.

Morch.

Why what ?

This.

In this case yes. It would be better having no one in charge than this little worm of a man.

Still no explanation as to why...Or even as to how this would be better.coffee1.gif

The French journalist and jihadhist expert David Thomson reported that Abballa had used Facebook live to post images of the attack — a video which is being examined by police. Thomson reported that while the attacker filmed himself, the three-year-old boy was behind him on the sofa. The attacker said: “I don’t know yet what I’m going to do with him.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/13/french-policeman-stabbed-death-paris

ISIS terrorist live Facebook streamed killing of French policeman and wife in front of toddler son

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/isis-terrorist-live-facebook-streamed-8186188

It makes my blood boil, can't say what I really want to say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk whilst drinking a cold beer

Morch.

Why what ?

This.

Ok, now I understand.

1. His approval rating is in the gutter. French people can give better reasons than me for this.

2. Current strikes and workers unrest is all down to Hollande pushing for changes to workers rights without Parliamentary approval.

3. The current violence. Whilst not his fault, was clearly down to bad planning and preparation.

4. France is still under a state of emergency to previous terrorist attacks. It is mind boggling that anyone who was tried, convicted and jailed for terrorist offence was even considered for release whilst under that state of emergency. The results of that decision have been seen the OP.

He should not resign just for this loss of life, but a whole catalogue of errors that he is ultimately responsible for.

Morch.

Why what ?

This.

Ok, now I understand.

1. His approval rating is in the gutter. French people can give better reasons than me for this.

2. Current strikes and workers unrest is all down to Hollande pushing for changes to workers rights without Parliamentary approval.

3. The current violence. Whilst not his fault, was clearly down to bad planning and preparation.

4. France is still under a state of emergency to previous terrorist attacks. It is mind boggling that anyone who was tried, convicted and jailed for terrorist offence was even considered for release whilst under that state of emergency. The results of that decision have been seen the OP.

He should not resign just for this loss of life, but a whole catalogue of errors that he is ultimately responsible for.

I'll limit my reply to the security aspect, as this is the main theme of the OP.

The terrorist was not released under Hollande's direct orders, and as you point out the current violence is not his fault.

The state of emergency provides security agencies with better capability regarding counter-terrorism, but does not guarantee that all plots will be exposed and successfully dealt with. If memory serves, there was a linked article on a precious related topic dealing with some of the difficulties faced by French security agencies in making the most of it (mainly issues of coordination, cooperation and jurisdiction).

Not a great fan of Hollande, but can't see how his resignation and consequent general elections would provide any short term answers to France's security situation.

This.

Ok, now I understand.

I'll limit my reply to the security aspect, as this is the main theme of the OP.

The terrorist was not released under Hollande's direct orders, and as you point out the current violence is not his fault.

The state of emergency provides security agencies with better capability regarding counter-terrorism, but does not guarantee that all plots will be exposed and successfully dealt with. If memory serves, there was a linked article on a precious related topic dealing with some of the difficulties faced by French security agencies in making the most of it (mainly issues of coordination, cooperation and jurisdiction).

Not a great fan of Hollande, but can't see how his resignation and consequent general elections would provide any short term answers to France's security situation.

He declared the State of Emergency Morch.

You do not release convicted terrorists from jail during a State of Emergency that was implemented because of ....................Terrorism.

As head honcho, ultimately he is responsible.

It makes my blood boil, can't say what I really want to say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk whilst drinking a cold beer

An Islamic snuff film...impossible...Islam is a religion of peace, remember.

Larossi Abbala claimed allegiance to Islamic State and was jailed in 2013 for "jihad links", French officials say.[/size]

Morch.

Why what ?

This.

Yes, ridiculous idea. It's like expecting Obama to resign because the FBI questioned the Orlando killer twice and let him go. rolleyes.gif

Many years ago I did not really think about Muslims ,then I lived amongst and did business with them ,I can honestly say there is not one I would trust,I was even told by a guy we dealt with ,not to trust him ,as I was not one of them ,

This.

Ok, now I understand.

He declared the State of Emergency Morch.

You do not release convicted terrorists from jail during a State of Emergency that was implemented because of ....................Terrorism.

As head honcho, ultimately he is responsible.

Yes, he did. It would have made a bit more sense to ask for his resignation had there been no state of emergency declared.

But he did not release anyone, and as head of state, cannot be expected to micro manage every decision. Doesn't work this way.

There ought to be an inquiry as to how this guy was out and about, that's for sure.