Bought a Stallion... "Motorcycle"

sendbaht

While I have nothing against the Honda CB500X, I actually think it's a good all-round motorcycle. But I cannot see how it relate to a budget motorcycle which is almost 4 times cheaper.... The difference is the same as somebody buys a Nissan March car and people start talking that a new Toyota Camry is so much better buy.....???

Maybe you could enlighten us then Richard - what other 'chinese cheap and cheerful' vehicles would you compare the mighty Stallion too?

I am guessing the SR400 can't be one of them.

... would be willing to challenge a mighty B62,900 Stallion

on my humble 46,500baht Chinese Lifan scrambler/dual-sport.

Dirt, paved, combo,

up to you.

crazy.gif <gauntlet down>

Rhyes; Where ya get dat photo o me mum?

Wait until I send you another one papa...then you'll know.. a few days until I get back... on the pegs mate

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The retro look is what does it, right? I see them out here as well down south.. but I have my sights on the CB 500X Retirement present..

On the pegs.

With cash at hand, I would go to Chiang Mai and rent a few bikes to find out if you like the CB 500 X or another bike?

I'm in love with a 250 cc enduro. For mountain roads, one doesn't need a big engine...

The retro look is what does it, right? I see them out here as well down south.. but I have my sights on the CB 500X Retirement present..

On the pegs.

With cash at hand, I would go to Chiang Mai and rent a few bikes to find out if you like the CB 500 X or another bike?

I'm in love with a 250 cc enduro. For mountain roads, one doesn't need a big engine...

Most likely would do about 20% dirt..the CB 500X seem a more comfortable touring bike...sits higher right..

Used to ride the hell out of the Honda SL 350 and Kawa KL 250. Thanks for the insights... What is your view on riding with a helmet cam? Protection or vanity

While I have nothing against the Honda CB500X, I actually think it's a good all-round motorcycle. But I cannot see how it relate to a budget motorcycle which is almost 4 times cheaper.... The difference is the same as somebody buys a Nissan March car and people start talking that a new Toyota Camry is so much better buy.....???

Maybe you could enlighten us then Richard - what other 'chinese cheap and cheerful' vehicles would you compare the mighty Stallion too?

Dirt, paved, combo,

up to you.

Wait until I send you another one papa...then you'll know.. a few days until I get back... on the pegs mate

For Papa on the pegs:

post-7852-0-70428800-1466409997_thumb.jp

Dirt, paved, combo,

up to you.

Papa on the pegs and then some

post-7852-0-15541500-1466417021_thumb.jp

post-7852-0-71605100-1466417047_thumb.jp

Edited by Rhys

• 7 months later...

The Stallion is a handsome bike. If you're tall with long legs and dodgy knees, though, I bet a low saddle height has you constantly stretching your feet out in front of you. Some of the big 400cc+ scooters aren't cheap, but you'd certainly want to be sitting like that if you were going any distance. 

13 hours ago, Craig krup said:

The Stallion is a handsome bike. If you're tall with long legs and dodgy knees, though, I bet a low saddle height has you constantly stretching your feet out in front of you. Some of the big 400cc+ scooters aren't cheap, but you'd certainly want to be sitting like that if you were going any distance. 

Like my Stallion Scrambler 400 as it has a seat height of 790mm (31inches) perfect for me as I am 190cm tall. Would be a problem for shorter people.

On 2/19/2017 at 2:21 AM, Rdrokit said:

Like my Stallion Scrambler 400 as it has a seat height of 790mm (31inches) perfect for me as I am 190cm tall. Would be a problem for shorter people.

Do you really get the benefit? Usually a scrambler has a higher saddle because the sump is higher. The relationship between the seat and the footpegs can remain the same. 

47 minutes ago, Craig krup said:

Do you really get the benefit? Usually a scrambler has a higher saddle because the sump is higher. The relationship between the seat and the footpegs can remain the same. 

I'm talking about the length from seat to the pavement. A short person would probably on tip toes when they came to a stop. The peg length is OK as I don't get any leg cramps. lol

On 2/19/2017 at 9:21 AM, Rdrokit said:

The seat height of the Stallion Scrambler 400 is the same as the Honda CBR150R, and I could not count/tell how many "short" people I have seen riding that bike.

1 hour ago, Richard-BKK said:

The seat height of the Stallion Scrambler 400 is the same as the Honda CBR150R, and I could not count/tell how many "short" people I have seen riding that bike.

Well I guess short is a relative term. My wife is 5'3" (160cm) and when the bike is on the kick stand she can only touch the ground on the low side with her toes.

Here is a quote from MartinL from the Stallion 400 thread,

I've been waiting for the 400 Scrambler to come to my local Khon Kaen dealer since before last October. It's finally arrived so I had a look yesterday. 

Had the same problem I've had on many bikes over the years - my bloody legs (29" or 740mm) are too short!!! I was literally on tiptoes with both feet down, which isn't good.

Not sure how tall MartinL is but my inseam length is 34" and the bike is just right for me.

5 hours ago, Richard-BKK said:

Riding a tall bike if you're short is a piece of pi55, it's the consequences of what might happen when you stop on a gravel-strewn road, a road full of potholes, a steaming heap of cow crap, a camber etc. that's the problem. 

If you're long-legged and your foot slides on gravel, you've got a bit of leeway to recover. If you're on tiptoe, there's nowhere to go.

17 hours ago, MartinL said:

Riding a tall bike if you're short is a piece of pi55, it's the consequences of what might happen when you stop on a gravel-strewn road, a road full of potholes, a steaming heap of cow crap, a camber etc. that's the problem. 

If you're long-legged and your foot slides on gravel, you've got a bit of leeway to recover. If you're on tiptoe, there's nowhere to go.

Of course, it is even dangerous to not be able to put your feet firmly on the ground. But the seat height of the Stallion Scrambler 400 motorcycle is what can be called standard for Thailand, it is around the same height as all small-capacity motorcycles available in Thailand... As second example, the most sold motorcycles in Thailand, the Honda Wave, has only a 2cm lower seat height...

Don't know why there's all this discussion of my opinion that the Stallions 400 Scrambler is too tall for me. Talk about it if you like but don't try to insinuate that I'm somehow wrong. Maybe the 790mm seat height is about standard for Thailand but it doesn't change the fact that I feel it's too tall for me, here and now.  

Bike seats with identical heights can feel different because of the ergonomics of the bike. 

After riding bikes for 47 years and riding bikes exclusively, without a car, for 40 of those years, I think I know what I feel comfortable with at this stage in my life and tiptoeing a bike isn't one of those things. 

My last UK bike was a 2008 Triumph Daytona 675 - 830mm seat height (apparently). I was totally at home with that bike at that time - probably wouldn't be now. 

As for the 'girls riding Big Twins' thing - I'm guessing you mean Harleys. I've just looked at the spec. of a 2016 FLHR Road King - seat height 28"/715mm. 2016 XL 883 Iron 25.7"/653 mm laden. Yes, not a problem if you have short legs.

7 hours ago, MartinL said:

Bike seats with identical heights can feel different because of the ergonomics of the bike. 

Your legs are a triangle, with the bike seat at the point, so a wider and harder seat dramatically increases the real height of the saddle. Soft suspension and - ahem - being "well-nourished" obviously reduces it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Took my first long ride on my new Stallions 400 Scrambler. Rode out of Korat with an group called JoHo Riders. Met up with them at 8am at a local restaurant. Had breakfast and rode out around 9am. Off to Pak Chong on highway 2. Stopped at a PPT station there and headed north into the mountains on B roads. 2nd stop at a river restaurant that rented inter-tubes. Then headed east to a coffee shop next to a wind farm then back to Korat. Covered about 300km, cruised at 110 - 120km and the bike ran great. Love it.

IMGP0015.JPG

I think Stallion is the best thing that has happened to bikes in decades, the sight and sound of these affordable bikes is really groovy, as we used to say in the sixties. And that is where these bikes are taking us and no bad thing IMO. Perhaps they should use them to run over and crush mobile phones, phones confiscated from kids texting while riding their scooters. What ever happened to young people concentrating while driving too fast?

I would probably buy one if I weren't into dirt bikes which I find more versatile. 

• 2 weeks later...

OK I need a bit of help with bikes.

For 2 years I been riding a Honda click tune up. 9 years old 226k on the clock runs like a dream.

I like the retro look of the stallion and I'm drawn to it but maybe for my next step it's not the smart move?

I want an automatic bike I like Honda forza 500 but it looks big so I'm a 2 year rider who likes automatics and I want to step up to a novice easy motorcycle not a moped. So in my position what bike would you recommend?

Why the fretting on the stallion at 10k mileage?

The Stallion 400 , and 400 scrambler , have manual gears and a clutch. If you wish to remain automatic your limited to a scooter .Apart from some crazy priced Hondas , you have the Suzuki 400 Burghman ( if its available in Thailand ) and the Sym 300. Could you confirm your mileage , 226,000 KM may be a world record for a Honda. What do you mean by "fretting".

1 hour ago, ktm jeff said:

The Stallion 400 , and 400 scrambler , have manual gears and a clutch. If you wish to remain automatic your limited to a scooter .Apart from some crazy priced Hondas , you have the Suzuki 400 Burghman ( if its available in Thailand ) and the Sym 300. Could you confirm your mileage , 226,000 KM may be a world record for a Honda. What do you mean by "fretting".

Hi Jeff ok I may have read that incorrectly and yes to confirm I thought it had done 226k but maybe I have that incorrect by about 200k! 

OK so what you telling me? Quit being a purry cat and go manual. OK I'll get the ultra unreliable but very astute motorbike rider in the family to show me the ropes.

20170404_164611.jpg

Ha Ha , slightly out on the mileage - just.  Im not saying "man up" and get a manual , auto scooters make sense for many people. You could keep your Click for what its worth , and as a second bike , and buy a manual bike too. The Stallion 400 would be a good choice , or one of their smaller 150cc offerings.  You also have bikes from Zongshen Ryuka such as the Infinity that are also styled similar to the Stallion.

If you want to keep an automatic and want to cruise long distances than a Honda Forza 300 would be a good bike. A couple guys in the group I cruise with have them and they cruise at 120mph. They are not a light bike at 200 kilos so low speed cruising might get some getting use to. I would keep your Click for low speed short distance trips.  They are not cheap at about 160,000 baht compared to a Stallion at 117,000. Also the Stallion is lighter at 160 kilos which makes it easier to handle at low speeds. Your choice.

On 05/04/2017 at 9:04 AM, Rdrokit said:

If you want to keep an automatic and want to cruise long distances than a Honda Forza 300 would be a good bike. A couple guys in the group I cruise with have them and they cruise at 120mph. They are not a light bike at 200 kilos so low speed cruising might get some getting use to. I would keep your Click for low speed short distance trips.  They are not cheap at about 160,000 baht compared to a Stallion at 117,000. Also the Stallion is lighter at 160 kilos which makes it easier to handle at low speeds. Your choice.

I reckon I need some training on these bikes TBH. Touch wood I ride safely and every now and then I hit 85mph on the click but I kind of tell myself to chill out and lower my speed. Guy has a beauty I know forza 500 but it's orange it's a big bike I like it but maybe I need a bike or two in lower weight etc to build up my experience with these bigger bikes.

1 hour ago, Rc2702 said:

I reckon I need some training on these bikes TBH. Touch wood I ride safely and every now and then I hit 85mph on the click but I kind of tell myself to chill out and lower my speed. Guy has a beauty I know forza 500 but it's orange it's a big bike I like it but maybe I need a bike or two in lower weight etc to build up my experience with these bigger bikes.

Maybe start with a smaller bike like a 250. Stallions makes some nice ones. in the 70,000 -80,000 baht price range.

IMG_20170119_115613-001.jpg

5 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

Maybe start with a smaller bike like a 250. Stallions makes some nice ones. in the 70,000 -80,000 baht price range.

IMG_20170119_115613-001.jpg

OK so I'm there on the brand of bike I like this Stallion style I'm on it but I'm stingy and I never buy brand new vehicles so I'm looking at 30,000 baht and we have spotted one for sale in that range.

My next novice question:

How serious should I be treating bike wear I mean I want to look the part but do you wear that padded stuff to be on the safe side at all times or maybe just for longer journeys?

What starter brands should I be looking at for the clothes I mean I don't want to get laughed out the shop when they see my bike but I do want to have that Reno Raynes look 4.0 (the renegade) albeit with short hair.

Edited by Rc2702

12 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

OK so I'm there on the brand of bike I like this Stallion style I'm on it but I'm stingy and I never buy brand new vehicles so I'm looking at 30,000 baht and we have spotted one for sale in that range.

My next novice question:

How serious should I be treating bike wear I mean I want to look the part but do you wear that padded stuff to be on the safe side at all times or maybe just for longer journeys?

What starter brands should I be looking at for the clothes I mean I don't want to get laughed out the shop when they see my bike but I do want to have that Reno Raynes look 4.0 (the renegade) albeit with short hair.

Now that's a real good question. An experienced rider once told me the biggest mistake a beginner rider makes is to skimp on safety gear. I have 2 helmets. One for short rides around town and one for long distance rides of a day or more. For around town I have an open face Real brand helmet that cost around 3000 baht. If you do not have a cycle shop near you you can buy them on Lazada which is where I bought mine. My other helmet cost 15,000 baht and is a full face Icon Air Pro.

A good riding jacket or a leather jacket is a good investment. Just think what would happen if you got in an accident with your bike going 100kph. Without a good helmet your head would be like Humpty Dumpty and you could never put it back again. Long pants and good close toe shoes. On long rides I wear riding gloves. Road burn is a bitch so is skin grafts.

I ride with a riding club and ALL the riders wear safety gear.

Do you like using your hands?

Those fingerless gloves*

with plastic skid surfaces can save the day/skin.

Leave them on always for extra-rugged persona.

Do you value your knees?

Knee-pads*,**.

EZ on/off.

Elbows and shoulders.?

Those plastic-on-mesh protectors**

can be worn under any loose shirt,

for extra many look.

Cheap at Ebay.

Order three.

papa has hit the pavement thrice in the last 2 years.

Above can be washed in a regular washing machine.

* really, really wished had been wearing.

** really, really glad was wearing.

Stallions are cool.

Edited by papa al