Remove what type of vehicle from roads.

selftaopath

If you had the power to remove one type of vehicle from the roads in Isaan what would it be, and why?

I typically travel a/b 75+ km to Khonkaen weekly. The drive there exhausts me. I don't get far from our house before uttering some form of obscenity. At times I fantasize about removing at least one type of vehicle from the roads... if I had that option available. I am hard pressed to come to a conclusion about which would be my #1. pick. What would yours be?

Cheers,

I would not ban any vehicle. I would ban an lot of bad drivers including farangs who think they are driving at home and were most likely a bad driver there

WOW. You wouldn't ban any vehicle from the roads? ???? WOW.

No brainer.

Ban the advertising trucks that clog up the traffic as they drive around in first gear taking up a lane. Not only will traffic flow but the towns and cities will be so much quieter.

It is not the vehicles. It is the drivers.

Be positive about it. Driving in Thailand is making you a much better driver. You must be 100% alert at all times which is why it is exhausting. It is as if you are permanently on an advanced driving test looking for potential hazards all the time because we know that Thai drivers can attack us from any direction.....lol. In the UK almost everyone obeys the rules of the road so you can relax Actually this is dangerous....but not as dangerous as Thailand. In the past Ive sometimes found myself driving alone in the UK virtually on 'automatic Pilot'. My body is doing the driving while my mind is elsewhere. It is quite worrying to suddenly realise you are almost at your destination with no recollection of the journey. Now when I return to the UK I find I am driving as I do in Thailand....On full alert all the time.....Not a bad thing really.

Edited by SunsetT

Motorcycle side cars block everything

mobile

These things I call "trikes." I know they can go much much faster than the typical Thai allows. Which in itself is mind boggling b/c they typically want to go faster than the speed of sound. lol I don't understand why they drive them so so slowly. They are definitely a road hazard. I doubt they are legal. Are they made in someone's yard?

Good observation Sunset T. Agree.

Interesting to think that if all the laws were enforced and all vehicles that did not meet the "road-worthy" inspections, and no insurance and no tax paid; if they were removed from the road there might be only a little traffic around.

Damn ! that's a weird dream. Better wake up.

All these old Bus's that belch out black fumes + constantly break down and stop across 2 lanes, with a back seat leaning against the rear on bus as a warning it is not moving.. [see most time I go out]

Motorbikes.

Motorbike?

I don't see many motorbikes on the road...I see a lot of crappy scooters, step throughs, twist and go's on the road

Edited by Caps

mobile

These things I call "trikes." I know they can go much much faster than the typical Thai allows. Which in itself is mind boggling b/c they typically want to go faster than the speed of sound. lol I don't understand why they drive them so so slowly. They are definitely a road hazard. I doubt they are legal. Are they made in someone's yard?
They're made in side street back shops, the old ones are very dangerous no tax insurance etc

mobile

They are not illegal. Provided the motor cycle is registered and insured, it is permissible to add add a side-car (saleng) to a motor bike / scooter. It's what is permissible to be carried in the side-car that is subject to restrictions. EG people are not supposed to e transported in these things.

mobile

They're made in side street back shops, the old ones are very dangerous no tax insurance etc

mobile

So basically an illegal.... not that it matters in Thailand....vehicle?

They seem to be a Thai version of a unique "station wagon" (to use an old US term). Pile the family, dog, shopping items.... and maybe and old refrigerator if necessary into it and away they go. lol

I've seem toddlers standing up on the outer ??? seat - kind of like ???? surfing. Oh well maybe destined for a short life?

Edited by selftaopath

I believe I've finally decided which "vehicle" I'd ban from the roads. Wish I could ban several but.

My choice - before I change my mind - is the thing that is used to till soil and has a one cylinder engine. The operator manipulates handlebars with are about 2 meters long. These things leave the field and are attached to a "wagon" type thing. I think it's top speed is a/b 10 kilometers per hour. They usually don't have lights but still can be (hopefully) seen on the highways after dark. They often have things in the wagon including "ma" and the dog - oh and a few kiddies. Beep them and they'll give you a look that "could kill" - after all they have the right to do what they want b/c they are Thai.

I believe I've finally decided which "vehicle" I'd ban from the roads. Wish I could ban several but.

My choice - before I change my mind - is the thing that is used to till soil and has a one cylinder engine. The operator manipulates handlebars with are about 2 meters long. These things leave the field and are attached to a "wagon" type thing. I think it's top speed is a/b 10 kilometers per hour. They usually don't have lights but still can be (hopefully) seen on the highways after dark. They often have things in the wagon including "ma" and the dog - oh and a few kiddies. Beep them and they'll give you a look that "could kill" - after all they have the right to do what they want b/c they are Thai.

Because you have a nice car you think you have more right to be on the road than a poor farmer just trying to eke a living?

Motorbikes.

Motorbike?

I don't see many motorbikes on the road...I see a lot of crappy scooters, step throughs, twist and go's on the road

I sincerely apologize.

Of course I meant the scooters.

coffee1.gif