Hp Pavilion Hdd Death

bjsanook

My 2 year old Pavilion died suddenly. I downloaded an update for AdAware and it locked when I ran the program.

Took it into the local shop and they said they can't get into it.

Anyone in Panthip that specializes in opening these up? Toshiba HDD2188 F 80 GB's

Thanks,

BJ

My 2 year old Pavilion died suddenly. I downloaded an update for AdAware and it locked when I ran the program.

Took it into the local shop and they said they can't get into it.

Anyone in Panthip that specializes in opening these up? Toshiba HDD2188 F 80 GB's

Thanks,

BJ

As the Toshiba HDD2188 was designed for laptops, I assume your Pavilion is a HP laptop. (It would be helpful to have complete details on the unit, ie: model number, etc.)

From your brief description, it would appear the Windows operating system may have "crashed", not the HDD itself.

- What exactly happens when you first turn the computer on?

- What do you see on the screen?

- What sounds do you hear?

- Do you have a factory "recovery disk" which came with the laptop, or did you burn a "recovery disk", as initally recommended?

- Have you had the HP factory authorized service center examine the computer?

The HDD's are sealed and should only be opened in a "clean room". If the HDD contains date you MUST recover, there are companies which specialize in such practices, but they can be very expensive. If the HDD is truely "dead", the HDD may still be covered under the Toshiba warranty. (Some makes of HDD's have 3-5 years warranty.) Have you also checked your HP warranty?

waldwolf