Is the milk in those small cans powdered, or liquid?

Hal65

I wish I had a better picture than this, but hopefully you get an idea of the tins I refer to:

ExuY8BS.jpg?1

This can was in a 6 pack. Do these contain powdered milk, or something else? My goal is to find a thicker condensed milk to use for sherbets (I know you can heat milk to condense it, I'm trying to skip that multi-hour step)

It can be ulta pasteurized or condensed milk - some have flavors added - you find a whole row full of different types at Lotus. I don't think any of them are powdered.

Most powdered milk is bagged and for some reason is vanilla flavored so you can't cook well with it - at times Makro has real powdered whole milk.

Most the condensed milks are well marked like the carnation brand and found in the same area. Lotus or the other stores should have it in a well marked can in English or I think it would be นมข้น

Speak into your translator on a phone and ask for condensed milk and play it back to them.

Good to know about the palm oil. Another disappointment but the type of one I have come to accept and live with in Thailand. i do need a thicker/syrupy milk to make sherbets so this will have to do

In small cans, it's condensed, either sweetened or unsweetened. Large cans or packages have the powder form.

I'd be very surprised if the Nestle brand of condensed milk was actually palm fat.

It's true that Carnation Brand Condensed Milk contains over 10% palm oil. It has about 48% sugar, and a combination of dry milk powder, skim milk powder, and part skim milk powder. The rest, I guess, is water.

For a few weeks now I've been making my own condensed milk. It's easy and doesn't take hours but usually only about 30 minutes.. I use 500 ML of whole milk from the dairy case and 180 ML of granulated (amber) sugar. Bring the milk to a boil in a large, heavy bottom skillet ( not a saucepan). Add the sugar, stir in well until dissolved, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Continue simmering and stir occasionally with a small whip or spatula. Remove from the heat when the liguid is reduced by 1/2. You'll get great results and will have no palm oil or powdered milk in your product. The trick here is to use a heavy bottom skillet so the product doesn't scorch while cooking. The large surface area increases the rate of evaporation tremendously. Occasional stirring keeps everything well mixed as the reduction continues. Store it in the refrigerator if you don't use it right away.

Give it a try. Its more expensive than the canned palm oil sweetened with sugar that has powdered milk added....but think about your health!

God luck!

In small cans, it's condensed, either sweetened or unsweetened. Large cans or packages have the powder form.

I'd be very surprised if the Nestle brand of condensed milk was actually palm fat.

They all, including Nestle have at least 10% palm Oil. Be very surprised!

The trick here is to use a heavy bottom skillet so the product doesn't scorch while cooking.

Or use two different sized pots, smaller pot on the top, with the space between the pots filled with water. The top pot will never exceed 100 DegC, as long as it won't touch anything but the boiling water. Pretty easy.

One of the long term favourites is Mali Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk. It contains 8% Milk Fat (butter oil, not palm oil), 45% Sugar, 20% Solids Non-Fat and 27% Water. The manufacturing process at Thai Dairy was designed by myself. The cheaper Mali SCM is blended with palm oil, Mali also manufactures for other companies a low cost formula using only palm oil and no butter oil.

I am not sure how much sherbet you are trying to make, but if you need large quantities you can buy in large barrels as do the ice cream manufacturers.

I was wondering why the term palm fat was used. Fats are natural esters which are solid at room temperature, oils are liquid. Although it depends whether one is in Canada in winter, or Thailand in summer.

Have just checked the can of condensed milk in my pantry in Melbourne, Australia. Ingredients are listed as milk, sugar, and lactose. Australian labelling laws would require palm oil to be listed if it was present. The can was produced in Australia, so perhaps the use of palm oil depends on the country of manufacture.

blink.png

I was wondering why the term palm fat was used. Fats are natural esters which are solid at room temperature, oils are liquid. Although it depends whether one is in Canada in winter, or Thailand in summer.

Have just checked the can of condensed milk in my pantry in Melbourne, Australia. Ingredients are listed as milk, sugar, and lactose. Australian labelling laws would require palm oil to be listed if it was present. The can was produced in Australia, so perhaps the use of palm oil depends on the country of manufacture.

blink.png

When responding about products sold in Thailand on a Thai forum it would be reasonable to consider they may differ from your product in Australia.

blink.png

When responding about products sold in Thailand on a Thai forum it would be reasonable to consider they may differ from your product in Australia.

One of the long term favourites is Mali Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk. It contains 8% Milk Fat (butter oil, not palm oil), 45% Sugar, 20% Solids Non-Fat and 27% Water. The manufacturing process at Thai Dairy was designed by myself. The cheaper Mali SCM is blended with palm oil, Mali also manufactures for other companies a low cost formula using only palm oil and no butter oil.

I am not sure how much sherbet you are trying to make, but if you need large quantities you can buy in large barrels as do the ice cream manufacturers.

Does Australian Condensed Milk have hydrogenised Butter Oil in it? I doubt it

Buy Nestles condensed milk.

Can you actually buy Nestles Condensed Milk in thailand now.....I know you can get their brands but not Nestles itself that I have seen. I think they stopped putting their name on things after the baby food problem and the bear logo.

Buy Nestles condensed milk.

Can you actually buy Nestles Condensed Milk in thailand now.....I know you can get their brands but not Nestles itself that I have seen. I think they stopped putting their name on things after the baby food problem and the bear logo.

Where can I find Nestle brand Condensed Milk? Is it available in Bangkok??