When I can ask the renew of my driving licence ?

Hello, I've a 5 years driving licence for car.

As actually I've a Non-O Immigrant visa for 90 days, I would like to renew my Thai Driving Licence for 5 years.

My actually Thai DL will expire on August 2017

I would like to know start when as possible soon I can ask the renew of my driving licence ?

It was delivered at Chonburi 1, but actually I am in Bangkok, it's possible to renew 5 years at Bangkok ? Did I need to show them a Residence Certificate ?

Thanks

Don't renew before it expires as you will only get a 1 year license if you do. I know its crazy but TIT so let the license expire then apply. You can do this up to 12 months after it expires. NB You will have to take the color blind and reaction tests, and mandatory medical form and residence certificate, visa on passport etc etc Its best to go there before and get a list of whats required (because they regularly "move the posts") when a new boss arrives.

From my experience last February you can renew a few months before it expires or up to one year after. Since it expires on your birthday and will be renewed until your birthday doing it one day late gives you 6 years.

Yes, you need a certificate of residence - there are rules about what visa you must have, others will be along to explain that.

Edited by briley

From my experience last February you can renew a few months before it expires or up to one year after. Since it expires on your birthday and will be renewed until your birthday doing it one day late gives you 6 years.

Yes, you need a certificate of residence - there are rules about what visa you must have, others will be along to explain that.

I did it too; I renewed my 5 year license in the month preceding expiration. But in the poster case, as he has only a 90 days visa. he will probably get a 2 years license only ( no 1 year anymore ) because a 5 year require a yearly visa or extension. Possibly another poster can confirm.

According to the nice lady at my DLT, the computer system won't allow renewals before 2 months.

I purposely went one day into the 2 month period and renewed mine, because I had an expired cert-res that I was using and they do have some discretion to accept recently expired certificates if you do some fast talking.

Yes you will need a certificate of residence. It's unsure if they give you a 5 year or 2 year license.

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&id=3471%3Arenew&Itemid=88

The government site ( this page deals with renewal from 1 to 5 year ) says you need a non-immigrant visa, it doesn't say the duration of the visa.

When I did mine, they tried to fob me off with a 2 year, until I produced the printout and the guy made a phone call, the only conversation was that I needed a non-immigrant visa, as long as it wasn't a tourist visa I was entitled to a 5 year.

I took a 50B doctors certificate but with all the discussion about the 5 year license the guy forgot to ask for it, maybe just get one in case .. To get mine I just go to the quack and he asks me if I feel fine .. Job done.

Good luck.

Edited by recom273

For me it's quite important to have a 5 year as this is considered an international license.

Have you thought about nipping over to Savannahket and picking up a 1 year multi-entry, no need to show funds.

Then you will get a 5 year license.

Upto you ..

According to the nice lady at my DLT, the computer system won't allow renewals before 2 months.

I purposely went one day into the 2 month period and renewed mine, because I had an expired cert-res that I was using and they do have some discretion to accept recently expired certificates if you do some fast talking.

Yes you will need a certificate of residence. It's unsure if they give you a 5 year or 2 year license.

The government site ( this page deals with renewal from 1 to 5 year ) says you need a non-immigrant visa, it doesn't say the duration of the visa.

When I did mine, they tried to fob me off with a 2 year, until I produced the printout and the guy made a phone call, the only conversation was that I needed a non-immigrant visa, as long as it wasn't a tourist visa I was entitled to a 5 year.

I took a 50B doctors certificate but with all the discussion about the 5 year license the guy forgot to ask for it, maybe just get one in case .. To get mine I just go to the quack and he asks me if I feel fine .. Job done.

Good luck.

If you had a 5 year license before then they didn't need the doctors certificate.

Good luck.

If you had a 5 year license before then they didn't need the doctors certificate.

Yeah, sorry I forgot to add that, some offices don't want one, some do.

What I was trying to say was, it's so easy and so cheap .. It's better to grab one the night before from the witchdokktor ( the clinics that only open at night after the doc have finished their daytime job ) for 30-50B and not use it than run around on the day after they say it's required to a private hospital where they actually do some tests and sting you for 500B.