House Ownership and Land Ownership.

That my understanding as well. Here is my story. I built a very nice house for my wife/her family in Issan. Her older sisters husband decides he is going to go work in Taiwan and make lots of money. The companies that do this charge a fee, pay for all visa expense and air ticket. the victim signs a contract to pay it back from his earnings with interest. There had been articles in the newspaper about these scams.

Now them being smarter than everyone else borrow the money from the bank and pay everything upfront. Being they live in a tin shed and have nothing they used the family land ( yep same one big house is built on as collateral). The employment company guarantees the loan. What could go wrong! Well Mr big shot goes to Taiwan and after about 6 months on a 12 month contract they send him home. I think they realized they already had his money and wasn't collecting interest so they let him go and signed up another dupe.Mr. big shot comes back to Thailand with about 20,000 baht. So everyone wants to know what you got so Mr. big shot goes and buys a Sonic little motorbike and rides around the village waving at everyone . look at him big face got a new motorbike. Problem is he still owed the Bank money from the 100K he borrowed Mai pen Rai they just paid the interest every month for a year. At the end of the year the bank called in the loan and the employment agency being the guarantor paid it off and got the deed to the house. The sister goes to pay the interest and they tell her it has been paid off and the BKK company owns the land. My wife call them and they tell her your screwed and hang up on her.

Once I figure out what happened I wanted to let them get kicked out and prove just how stupid they really are. Then I realized that in Thai logic it would have ultimately been my fault for not bailing them our , Right!. The girl that was my director of my company called the agency and explained to them this was a Farangs house and what they did was Illegal and we would report them to the Labor Dept and sue them in court. They agreed to give us the deed back if we paid the money that was owed. They made us bring house papers , marriage certificates, passports they tried to get out of every way. When we went there it was in a neighborhood in BKK no name only a large steel door. WE had to call them on the phone and they met us on the street. we went inside and there was a small sofa and table. The Chinese womnan counted the money went upstairs brought the deed . my girl looked over everything was correct. On

e of the henchmen came down to watch once we had the deed i asked her why would

they loan money 100 lk on a small lsand in village , she replied because it had big house

Are you sure the Thai man who went to Taiwan was stupid or is it perhaps the farang that builds a house for his wife?

Just sayin'

Stay here long enough, you will get shafted too!

Too many foreigners expect the same level of intelligence and decency, some expect the same level of trust, everyone can make a mistake, everyone can give the benefit of the doubt, and anyone can get ripped off! Don't throw stones in glass houses, it could happen to you too!

It could happen, but you can minimize the risk by not doing things that are proven to be just bad financial decisions.... Like building a house in a country where you're not allowed to have one.

That my understanding as well. Here is my story. I built a very nice house for my wife/her family in Issan. Her older sisters husband decides he is going to go work in Taiwan and make lots of money. The companies that do this charge a fee, pay for all visa expense and air ticket. the victim signs a contract to pay it back from his earnings with interest. There had been articles in the newspaper about these scams.

Now them being smarter than everyone else borrow the money from the bank and pay everything upfront. Being they live in a tin shed and have nothing they used the family land ( yep same one big house is built on as collateral). The employment company guarantees the loan. What could go wrong! Well Mr big shot goes to Taiwan and after about 6 months on a 12 month contract they send him home. I think they realized they already had his money and wasn't collecting interest so they let him go and signed up another dupe.Mr. big shot comes back to Thailand with about 20,000 baht. So everyone wants to know what you got so Mr. big shot goes and buys a Sonic little motorbike and rides around the village waving at everyone . look at him big face got a new motorbike. Problem is he still owed the Bank money from the 100K he borrowed Mai pen Rai they just paid the interest every month for a year. At the end of the year the bank called in the loan and the employment agency being the guarantor paid it off and got the deed to the house. The sister goes to pay the interest and they tell her it has been paid off and the BKK company owns the land. My wife call them and they tell her your screwed and hang up on her.

Once I figure out what happened I wanted to let them get kicked out and prove just how stupid they really are. Then I realized that in Thai logic it would have ultimately been my fault for not bailing them our , Right!. The girl that was my director of my company called the agency and explained to them this was a Farangs house and what they did was Illegal and we would report them to the Labor Dept and sue them in court. They agreed to give us the deed back if we paid the money that was owed. They made us bring house papers , marriage certificates, passports they tried to get out of every way. When we went there it was in a neighborhood in BKK no name only a large steel door. WE had to call them on the phone and they met us on the street. we went inside and there was a small sofa and table. The Chinese womnan counted the money went upstairs brought the deed . my girl looked over everything was correct. On

they loan money 100 lk on a small lsand in village , she replied because it had big house

Are you sure the Thai man who went to Taiwan was stupid or is it perhaps the farang that builds a house for his wife?

Just sayin'

Well the thing is that I have a child with this woman and this year in OCT we will be married for 13 years and together for 16. The Land and house are in my wife's name currently and we have the chanote. At the time I built the house in 2002 my daughter was born and my Job future in Thailand looked grim. I figured that they would have a nice place to live rather than in a Chicken Coop. AS it turns out i got a visa for my wife and we returned back to the USA with our daughter in 2007 and have prospered. I never paid a Sin Sod when we married and when asked told them that what did they think the house was? Mama never mentioned again. My wifes family are not as mercenary as many others I have seen. We send her parents 5000 Bt /month and thats it. small amounts for special requests from time to time. I don't feel it was a bad investment for me.

Well, here is an update and things seem to have been turned on their heads yet again!

1: It appears that the original default on the loan with the car went a step further.

2: The guarantee using the child's chanote was made and accepted by the bank - big mistake here then as the bank cannot touch it, they have recorded it as in my wifes name

3: They are after my wifes property to cover the guarantee - that should be fun, maybe a jacket and a packet of Kao Neow.

So, the bank cannot touch the land or the house as in fact they are not in her name, the bank should never have accepted the chanote as it is not in her name, they are both up shit creek for using a 15 year old kid's documents a guarantee as that is illegal. So as far as I am concerned the whole lot of them can take a hike.

Now the additional info that has come to light in the hours before I see myself strangling my wife.

The <deleted> son (34+ Not a child, except in mental age) decided to go and borrow another 60K Baht from a loan shar, as you do! Now the loan shark has seized the car.

My idiot wife is panicking as the bank are now after her property....of which she has none!

The wifes mother has handed over ANOTHER Chanote to another LOAN SHARK to pay off the first loan shark, who has given back the car, and which the bank has repossesed! It just gets more and more of a mess everytime you look at it.

At least the damn car has gone and that is the end of that.

But i imagine any shortfall in the repossesion of the car will be back at my stupid wifes door to claim the owed funds.

and also, the poor mother in law is in hock now using her land deeds to pay off a loan shark, not the bank.

The fun never stops where idiots are involved!

At least it looks like they cannot touch anything as far as land and home go....if these people had dynamite for brains they couldn't blow their own hats off!

Just sayin'

Too many foreigners expect the same level of intelligence and decency, some expect the same level of trust, everyone can make a mistake, everyone can give the benefit of the doubt, and anyone can get ripped off! Don't throw stones in glass houses, it could happen to you too!

It could happen, but you can minimize the risk by not doing things that are proven to be just bad financial decisions.... Like building a house in a country where you're not allowed to have one.

Obviously you miss the point, maybe you have limited intelligence or some other problem grasping facts.

If you looked at the post as it developed, I never ever expected to own a house in a country that I was never able to own a house. I bought land and built a house that was signed over 100% to my son. It was done to try and guarantee him at minimum, some financial freedom when he gets older. I know for a fact that the first thing he will do when he gets old enough, he will sell it and do something with the money that he wants.

It is not a money pot for the extended family. It is for my son.

Get your facts right before you submit your incorrect comments OK?

Edited by Generalchaos

Just sayin'

Obviously you miss the point, maybe you have limited intelligence or some other problem grasping facts.

If you looked at the post as it developed, I never ever expected to own a house in a country that I was never able to own a house. I bought land and built a house that was signed over 100% to my son. It was done to try and guarantee him at minimum, some financial freedom when he gets older. I know for a fact that the first thing he will do when he gets old enough, he will sell it and do something with the money that he wants.

It is not a money pot for the extended family. It is for my son.

Get your facts right before you submit your incorrect comments OK?

The fact is I am never going to have to call my wife and extended family stupid. They all work and never relied on farang to build them a house.

Yes, I think it's extremely stupid to build a house you can not own, even if you consciously gave it away. Your rant above proves it. If you owned it, you would have some control over your "stupid" family. You are just an ATM.

The following sites contain a wealth of information on Thai laws.

https://www.samuiforsale.com/

and

http://www.thailawonline.com/en/

Good luck !

Thanks for the links. I'm interested if and TV members have had any dealings / experience in the following point;

Imagine a situation that any property held by the family is recorded officially (chanut) in the fathers sole name and the contract to build the completed house on that land is in the fathers name.

In terms of inheritance (section 1629) seems to indicate that on the death of the father the children of that father are seen in two possible groups:

- Full blood children, and

- Half blood children.

The situation I have concern about is a case where the child of the said father from a previous wife (now divorced) is resident with the father and his new wife, plus there are children resident from the new wife.

Section 1629 seems to indicate that any child from a previous wife is not entitled to any inheritance at all.

Anybody had any actual experience with is situation?

Please people I'm not interested in comments on what's fair or unfair or 'should be' stuff, just sharing of any actual experiences please.

Thank you.

The child from the first wife (Even if not legally married) will get a share, this happened in our distant family. The first (original wife got nothing) the second wife took everything that wasn't nailed down, but qwhen she tried to sell the land that was in the dead fathers name, the land office refused and it was handed over reluctantly to the first born son. (Thai law - when actually put into practice is quite fair and sensible)

Thanks for that information.

The case I'm referring to has a twist of 'the wife' scenario you mentioned.

The second wife in this case is quite reasonable but both her elder sister and elder brother are vicious.

The Thai man concerned has taken very good care of his first child from day one, the mother just wasn't interested and they divorced. The father kept the child and has been a very good father. He re-married and his second wife was very willing to fully accept the first child and take care of her and that part of the scenario is quite good. Second wife has since had two children and all 3 kids are well taken care of by both husband and wife.

But, the wife's elder brother and elder sister have been very active to prevent the step-mother to the man's first child from officially adopting the first child, they are very old style country folks locked into all sorts of superstitions etc., and they claim that if the step-mother adopts the first child then the whole family (wife's extended family) will suffer severe bad luck and accidents and death as punishment. They also clearly want a piece of the pie.

Several times the father involved has thrown his wife's elder brother-in-law and sister-in-law out of his house because they tried forcefully to remove his first child now taken care of by his second wife.

The elder brother-in-law and sister-in-law also claim that the sister (the wife here) is automatically the owner of the land and house upon marriage (they know the law about everything they make up the law continuously as needed to fit their intent). The chanut for the sizeable land and good house is in the husbands name (husband only).

The elder brother-in-law and sister-in-law have mentioned many times that when the husband dies:

- They will instantly take the first child to the police and claim she has been violent to the other members of the family (totally untrue) and tell the police to lock her up forever (they know the law about everything they make up the law continuously as needed to fit their intent, and they claim that the village head man can order the police to do this).

- They will instruct the wife (who is frightened of them) to have the land re-zoned so that they both get a one third share of the land.

The husband is currently getting further professional legal advice about the best way to adjust his will to seriously protect all his 3 kids and wife and ensure they all get an equal share of his estate.

He's already discarded the first lawyer when he discovered the legal advice given was clearly incorrect.

The answer is simple. Transfer the land into the names of his 3 children. After that, his will is irrelevant as the land would not be his property any more.

Nothing the relatives could do about it.

Well, here is an update and things seem to have been turned on their heads yet again!

1: It appears that the original default on the loan with the car went a step further.

2: The guarantee using the child's chanote was made and accepted by the bank - big mistake here then as the bank cannot touch it, they have recorded it as in my wifes name

3: They are after my wifes property to cover the guarantee - that should be fun, maybe a jacket and a packet of Kao Neow.

So, the bank cannot touch the land or the house as in fact they are not in her name, the bank should never have accepted the chanote as it is not in her name, they are both up shit creek for using a 15 year old kid's documents a guarantee as that is illegal. So as far as I am concerned the whole lot of them can take a hike.

Now the additional info that has come to light in the hours before I see myself strangling my wife.

The <deleted> son (34+ Not a child, except in mental age) decided to go and borrow another 60K Baht from a loan shar, as you do! Now the loan shark has seized the car.

My idiot wife is panicking as the bank are now after her property....of which she has none!

The wifes mother has handed over ANOTHER Chanote to another LOAN SHARK to pay off the first loan shark, who has given back the car, and which the bank has repossesed! It just gets more and more of a mess everytime you look at it.

But i imagine any shortfall in the repossesion of the car will be back at my stupid wifes door to claim the owed funds.

and also, the poor mother in law is in hock now using her land deeds to pay off a loan shark, not the bank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvVMojRV44Y

At least it looks like they cannot touch anything as far as land and home go....if these people had dynamite for brains they couldn't blow their own hats off!

well if your wife's mother take another chanote as security to a loan dealer, if she doesn't pay, she will loose it for sure. They are not loan sharks, but legitimate lenders like you have thousands all over Thailand.

If they do come back to you wife for any short full and she cannot pay I think that they may come to you because you are equally responsible for your wife's debts