NCPO says closure of UDD's anti-corruption center is to maintain peace

webfact

NCPO says closure of UDD's anti-corruption center is to maintain peace

BANGKOK, 20 Juen 2016 (NNT) - The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) has defended its decision to shutter the anti-corruption center set up by the United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) as an act of national security.

NCPO Spokesperson Col. Winthai Suwaree explained that the council made the decision due to the UDD's divisive history of political protest, not because of its political affiliations. He said the timing of the center was inappropriate, claiming that the public had started to question their motives.

However, the NCPO Spokesperson said if UDD members wish to help the government apprehend referendum offenders, they can do so by working with the Election Commission and reporting cases to Damrongtham Centers or the media.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-06-20 footer_n.gif

No discussion, no criticism and no freedom of speech. The iron fist policy.

they have no authority or mandate to operate such a center, who or what "WAT" do they think they are, this is exactly what creates division in Thailand, Thailand needs to move on and away from these self appointed thug come terrorist groups, how about they all disclose their personal wealth and where it came from, that would be a good start

At this stage, the junta probably regrets having planned a referendum to rubber stamp its constitution. Far less divisive would just have been to inform the population of the democratic constitution that they were henceforth to operate under.

they have no authority or mandate to operate such a center, who or what "WAT" do they think they are, this is exactly what creates division in Thailand, Thailand needs to move on and away from these self appointed thug come terrorist groups, how about they all disclose their personal wealth and where it came from, that would be a good start

Could swear you're talking about not the UDD, but the other side....."no authority or mandate", "self appointed thugs", " terrorist groups" and of course undisclosed "personal wealth".

However, the NCPO Spokesperson said if UDD members wish to help the government apprehend referendum offenders, they can do so by working with the Election Commission and reporting cases to Damrongtham Centers or the media.

These idiots help the government? Now that's a good one.

UDD's divisive history of political protest, not because of its political affiliations

I see, unlike the current government's history of illegal coup and being yellow shirt team-members ... who certainly have a "divisive history of political protest".

Edited by VN4now

Depends on the interpretation of the words Maintain peace. If you go about anything in a ham fisted way all you do is push the issue underground , now the NCPO will never know what is being said or thought out in UDD territory and any surprises that the Junta may get in the longer term ,you have only yourselves to blame..................................................coffee1.gif

Such centers are a good idea in theory. Unfortunately, such centers themselves cannot be seen as impartial (and trusted) if they are run by people who have already made public their opposition to the draft constitution. Such centers need to be politically neutral. But then, I guess, the NCPO would still find a reason to close them down.

"this is exactly what creates division in Thailand,"

And there was me thinking it was Suthep and Prem agitating for a coup that created division in Thailand. And the landed gentry wanting to remain as rich as Croesus... and the knowledge that every single coup d'etat in Thailand has been approved - in advance and/or in retrospect. In this case, the popular choice for guilty party seems to be Prem.

W

Such centers are a good idea in theory. Unfortunately, such centers themselves cannot be seen as impartial (and trusted) if they are run by people who have already made public their opposition to the draft constitution. Such centers need to be politically neutral. But then, I guess, the NCPO would still find a reason to close them down.

How about neutral international observers? Oh wait, the junta won't allow that either.

You speak about UDD AND the junta,right?

In a civil society, not the ugly and unequal totalitarian one you are such an avid flag-waver for, such authority or mandate is not required, Citizens or groups of citizens can scrutinise their government's actions without sanction.

In a civil society, not the ugly and unequal totalitarian one you are such an avid flag-waver for, such authority or mandate is not required, Citizens or groups of citizens can scrutinise their government's actions without sanction.

yes really ugly, compared to what, I have never witnessed Thailand so calm these last couple of years, could we rate it by deaths due to conflict, have there been any ? seems to me there a lot of people alive that would otherwise be long gone at the hands of terrorists ...............long may it continue - the killing/murder has stopped........waken up

yes really ugly, compared to what, I have never witnessed Thailand so calm these last couple of years, could we rate it by deaths due to conflict, have there been any ? seems to me there a lot of people alive that would otherwise be long gone at the hands of terrorists ...............long may it continue - the killing/murder has stopped........waken up

Actually, the relatives of the people that died at the Erawan shrine would certainly be offended by your remarks.

People are still dying down south, and quite frankly, the number of people that actually died due to political conflict pales with this year's Songkran death toll, despits efforts from the current idiotic administration to minimize deaths during Songkran.

That's no excuse to have an illegal and incompetent administration suspensding basic human rights, they will find out how that peace is nothing but a placebo. One wonders if anyone in the NCPO is using their brains...

yes really ugly, compared to what, I have never witnessed Thailand so calm these last couple of years, could we rate it by deaths due to conflict, have there been any ? seems to me there a lot of people alive that would otherwise be long gone at the hands of terrorists ...............long may it continue - the killing/murder has stopped........waken upActually, the relatives of the people that died at the Erawan shrine would certainly be offended by your remarks.

People are still dying down south, and quite frankly, the number of people that actually died due to political conflict pales with this year's Songkran death toll, despits efforts from the current idiotic administration to minimize deaths during Songkran.

That's no excuse to have an illegal and incompetent administration suspensding basic human rights, they will find out how that peace is nothing but a placebo. One wonders if anyone in the NCPO is using their brains...

actually the relatives of those that died at the Erawan Shrine would be extremely offended at your attempt to use their deaths to make some sort of cheap political point......shame on you

as for songkran well nothing much changes there, road carnage in Thailand is nothing new

and the terrorist south ....really, are you using that to make some sort of depraved twisted argument

99.9% of people understood exactly what I was saying

you are one seriously challenged sick individual, go get help

Actually, the relatives of the people that died at the Erawan shrine would certainly be offended by your remarks.

actually the relatives of those that died at the Erawan Shrine would be extremely offended at your attempt to use their deaths to make some sort of cheap political point......shame on you

as for songkran well nothing much changes there, road carnage in Thailand is nothing new

and the terrorist south ....really, are you using that to make some sort of depraved twisted argument

How dare you calling me sick. You willingly support a regime that has suspended basic human rights for Thai citizens, all under the premises that it stops protests that you found annoying, you are utterly selfish and should be utterly ashamed of yourself. That is sick.

I was of course merely pointing out that your remark that you couldn't think of people who have died due to conflicts or at the hand of terrorist in Thailand is inaccurate. But of cousre that point went totally over your head, and the point that the actions of the current administration had something to do with that bomb going off there.

The point that a few hundred people dying due to conflicts, should never be a justification for suspending basic human rights, is another point you completely missed.

Edited by sjaak327

How dare you calling me sick. You willingly support a regime that has suspended basic human rights for Thai citizens, all under the premises that it stops protests that you found annoying, you are utterly selfish and should be utterly ashamed of yourself. That is sick.

I was of course merely pointing out that your remark that you couldn't think of people who have died due to conflicts or at the hand of terrorist in Thailand is inaccurate. But of cousre that point went totally over your head, and the point that the actions of the current administration had something to do with that bomb going off there.

The point that a few hundred people dying due to conflicts, should never be a justification for suspending basic human rights, is another point you completely missed.

seriously you are trying to justify your post

go get help, you really need it

This is a fine illustration of how a single un-thought-out comment can undermine a whole argument"

"99.9% of people understood exactly what I was saying"

Really? How many people did you ask on your way to, determining that level of precision? Because if you asked less than 1,000 people. then you pulled the number out of thin air.

And you impugn someone else's mental state. Mendacity does not speak very well of yours, friend. Shame on you Smedders.

Winnie

Talking to a Thai lawyer the other day who earned his qualifications in the UK but has be practising here for many years remarked

'After serving and trying to understand the average Thais logic Unfortunately the status quo is the only way to Govern / Rule Thai people at present due to uneducated masses and brainwashing tactics of the likes of the UDD.

He didn't condone present situation but Certainly understood a preferred it in his opinion.

Could swear you're talking about not the UDD, but the other side....."no authority or mandate", "self appointed thugs", " terrorist groups" and of course undisclosed "personal wealth".

Exactly right, other than the colour of the uniform and the green/yellow side having more guns, there is little visible difference in the moral authority of either side to run the country. Thailand has yet to see a clean alternative to the corrupt wealth and power politics of the last century. And it is hard to see where a Ghandi or Mandela figure is to come from. It would have to be someone educated abroad IMO, and therefore connected with, but rejecting the values of, the traditional elite.

I don't need help, nothing I said wasn't factual, contrary to your own post.

Maybe it's time to actually use your brains, and don't claim people haven't died at the hands of terrorists or due to conflict. And maybe realize that suspending human rights is never a solution.

And that all so you and your family can live without protests, you make me sick, but that cannot be helped unfortunately...

Edited by sjaak327

Talking to a Thai lawyer the other day who earned his qualifications in the UK but has be practising here for many years remarked

'After serving and trying to understand the average Thais logic Unfortunately the status quo is the only way to Govern / Rule Thai people at present due to uneducated masses and brainwashing tactics of the likes of the UDD.

He didn't condone present situation but Certainly understood a preferred it in his opinion.

Brainwashing tactics are not exclusive to the UDD, although they do seem to have taken them to a new level. All propaganda TV and radio stations should have been closed down, regardless of color coding. In fact they should not have been allowed to run from the beginning. Programs spouting this and that without any supporting facts to substantiate any of their claims have no part in modern society.

So closing these centers was a necessary act. It should be the same if such centers were opened by the other side of the political divide. However, the upcoming referendum DOES need monitoring by neutral agencies, as the current regime has already shown itself to be self serving.

Yeah, repressive totalitarian governments certainly do a good job of maintaining the peace. Too bad every country can't have one.

yes really ugly, compared to what, I have never witnessed Thailand so calm these last couple of years, could we rate it by deaths due to conflict, have there been any ? seems to me there a lot of people alive that would otherwise be long gone at the hands of terrorists ...............long may it continue - the killing/murder has stopped........waken upActually, the relatives of the people that died at the Erawan shrine would certainly be offended by your remarks.

What a joke, seriously!

You re seriously ill but reading your posts and seeing how you support an unelected Junta which granted amnesty for themselves, use arbitrary detention and threaten families of students who stand up against the Junta (yeah yeah, less than 0.01 percent if we follow your [poor] thoughts) , you re a lost cause

Yeah, repressive totalitarian governments certainly do a good job of maintaining the peace. Too bad every country can't have one.

I think he praise little Kim in North Korea as there is peace in this country as well...