Udon man found dead with his headphones on - police suspect electrocution

webfact

Udon man found dead with his headphones on - police suspect electrocution

s2a.jpg
Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- A girlfriend wondered why contact with her boyfriend had stopped for a couple on days on Sunday. So she went to his flat and after finding the door locked she used her spare key to gain entry. The chain was on the door but the smell was terrible.

Security who climbed up to peer in a window confirmed that her boyfriend was dead. Bangsaothong police called to the condo in Samut Prakarn found Udon Thani native Runroj Soha, 24, dead with headphones on, reported Daily News. They were connected to a computer and police said they suspect that the man was electrocuted.

His body was sent for autopsy to determine the cause of death.

His girlfriend Hormmali said that he lived alone. She lived elsewhere with a friend and herself and the deceased both worked in different factories. She had chatted to him on Facebook on Friday then after contact had ceased she went round on Sunday. She said he had no illnesses and was a fit and healthy young man.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-21

absolute nonsense, I cannot think of how this could be even a remote possibility unless he plugged the headphones into a wall socket and even then it still seems impossible

I would have to agree. The wires are so thin that it's hard to believe enough current could pass through it to kill a healthy adult male.

Two shocking stories currently running on Thai visa!

The mobile phone and now this.

Truly electrifying journalism and hats off to the lead reporter as he's wired right into these stories I thought I'd give him a plug!

Just don't plug the plug into the power socket, we don't need any further suicides this week. Edited by Artisi

absolute nonsense, I cannot think of how this could be even a remote possibility unless he plugged the headphones into a wall socket and even then it still seems impossible

I would have to agree. The wires are so thin that it's hard to believe enough current could pass through it to kill a healthy adult male.

Not impossible. Last year whilst in bed a young lady died whilst wearing headphones connected to her laptop which was also connected to the power charger. The was evidence of combustion taking place on the bedcover.The investigation showed that the power charger was a non genuine unit purchased at a market and as such was not equipped with a fail safe component and as a result the current shorted through the laptop and subsequently throught he headphones. This led to a government bulletin warning of the dangers of buying non genuine items form the likes of ebay and other online sellers as well as markets. Maybe the investigators in LoS are not trained in such investigative proceedures.

There is no earthing system in thailand and the live and neutral cables are often plugged in the wrong way around, making the neutral on the appliance actually live.

I have often seen microphones live due to poor electrical systems on sound systems.

BUT most earphones are padded which forms an insulated barrier, unless he was wearing cheap in the ear phones

Besides smoking...death from headphones is 2nd largest cause of death (in Thailand).

Never shave the wires and insert them in your ears. That is what the plastic cover is for.

Wearing headsets on the balcony is especially lethal.

(I use bluetooth, and stay indoors)

Edited by slipperylobster

There is no earthing system in thailand and the live and neutral cables are often plugged in the wrong way around, making the neutral on the appliance actually live.

I have often seen microphones live due to poor electrical systems on sound systems.

BUT most earphones are padded which forms an insulated barrier, unless he was wearing cheap in the ear phones

You cannot compare microphones and head phones. A professional condenser microphone carries 48V DC. And can deliver a nasty shock or even death under the right circumstances. The reason has nothing to do with swapped neutral or non grounded equipment. Once the mic cable leaves the sound board it is carrying DC voltage, a swapped neutral or even no ground on the AC side makes no difference. There is a polarity switch on the sound board that it used to change the positive and negative lines on the mic cable to prevent shock. Since DC current also flows through the metal strings of the guitar, this polarity switch is necessary to prevent the shock than can occur with different polarity. Yes, there has been at least one case of some one being electrocuted by a microphone. Headphones are completely different. Most headphones operate between 1.5 and 5 volts. Amperage output is extremely minimal. There is no bare metal to touch the skin. The wires used in headphones are so small, they would melt before supplying enough current to cause electrocution. There is the one story about the defective computer and power supply sending 220V straight to the head phone jack. This story is suspect to me and if it really did happen and result in a death, it was the best case of Murphy's Law I've ever heard of and I think the odds of getting killed by a flying pig/goat hybrid are much higher. BTW There is an earthing system in Thailand. Whether or not the electrician used it is a different story.

Edited by cmth

You cannot compare microphones and head phones. A professional condenser microphone carries 48V DC. And can deliver a nasty shock or even death under the right circumstances. The reason has nothing to do with swapped neutral or non grounded equipment. Once the mic cable leaves the sound board it is carrying DC voltage, a swapped neutral or even no ground on the AC side makes no difference. There is a polarity switch on the sound board that it used to change the positive and negative lines on the mic cable to prevent shock. Since DC current also flows through the metal strings of the guitar, this polarity switch is necessary to prevent the shock than can occur with different polarity. Yes, there has been at least one case of some one being electrocuted by a microphone. Headphones are completely different. Most headphones operate between 1.5 and 5 volts. Amperage output is extremely minimal. There is no bare metal to touch the skin. The wires used in headphones are so small, they would melt before supplying enough current to cause electrocution. There is the one story about the defective computer and power supply sending 220V straight to the head phone jack. This story is suspect to me and if it really did happen and result in a death, it was the best case of Murphy's Law I've ever heard of and I think the odds of getting killed by a flying pig/goat hybrid are much higher. BTW There is an earthing system in Thailand. Whether or not the electrician used it is a different story.

unless something has dramatically changed, guitar strings are not electrically attached to anything, the rest of your post is pretty much spot on, thx for the detail, it amazes me how police here suddenly become engineers - pathologists - forensic experts when they are called to a sudden death or murder scene, perhaps they would be better leaving the expert evaluation to ......experts

Why would we jump to the conclusion that the deceased was electrocuted through his headphones?

From the photos, he was using his computer while wearing headphones. Electrocution could be from some other source, other than his headphones.

the music(if you can call it that)nowadays could possibly kill someone.......Did police check for justin bieber memorabilia at the scene!

If e was listening to Justin Bieber then he was probably beyond help. What a tragic way to go.

It doesnt need to be much, it is only 30 mA = 0.03 A. That could be enought to kill !! Depending on several factors as sweat, condition heart, left or right site contact, condition of your blood. The wires are thick enough to carry that current

Thats why you have earth or differential safety switches of 30 mA, you will feel but then power is shut down automatically, fast. I know.

Voltages to where it might be safe are 110VDC or 50 VAC. But you can feel it !! Again all depending on your body specifications.

But guess the guy put on his head set and put his fingers in the powersocket and did not have safetyswitch, hehehehe

maybe the thin headphone wite had snapped so he replaced it with starter motor cable and then absentmindedly pushed the headphone socket into the mains? well, just about every other stupid theory has been offered....except ghosts..... was there a ghost in the machine?