Andrew Biggs

crabstix

I remember that there used to be a programme on channel 3 at about 6.10am every morning with Andrew Biggs discussing newspaper headlines on the Bangkokpost and the Nation. It was great for students to learn new vocabulary. I woke up early this morning to watch it but it was not on. Is this programme no longer showing?

Sorry, but I'm not a fan. His methods, which rely on a heavy dose of translation, in my opinion just slow down a students progress. Student can learn more rapidly without the translation. If you ever see his instruction videos, you might think to yourself, 'That's a good way for Thais to learn Thai along with a few English words.' He's a good businessman for sure,

Agree with you on that mbkudu. It seems the guy has no idea about EFL teaching methodology. The Andrew Biggs Academy recently opened in Bangkok and on the strength of his name/brand the punters will come. He's also a regular on morning discussion programmes on Channel 3 when I guess they want a farang perspective.

A while ago I had an exchange of emails with him over a proposed promotional idea; he was friendly and polite. His Thai is excellent, and my missus says it's nearly accentless, this on its own will earn the respect of most Thais.

Sorry, but I'm not a fan. His methods, which rely on a heavy dose of translation, in my opinion just slow down a students progress. Student can learn more rapidly without the translation. If you ever see his instruction videos, you might think to yourself, 'That's a good way for Thais to learn Thai along with a few English words.' He's a good businessman for sure,

Fair enough. I can see how his method of translation can't possibly appeal to all. Different teaching methods, different learning strategies, learning needs of student etc etc. However, I think it may help some of my students to at least start looking at newspaper headlines and have a crack at learning English outside the classroom.

I checked out the tv schedule on Outlook section of the Bangkokpost yesterday but it was missing!

Anyone know if this programme is still running?

Thanks

Andrew has a show on Channel 3 on Saturday and Sunday Mornings at around 6.30 -7.30 am. He is assisted by a Thai man in a wheelchair and a Thai woman presenter. The show is conducted pretty much all in Thai language.

Andrew has a show on Channel 3 on Saturday and Sunday Mornings at around 6.30 -7.30 am. He is assisted by a Thai man in a wheelchair and a Thai woman presenter. The show is conducted pretty much all in Thai language.

Which makes it very convienient for those of us trying to learn Thai.

I have learnt heaps by just listening in to this guy but what impact he has teaching English is another matter but most certainly he is a good teacher of the Thai language for us tonal struggling farangs. :o

Edited by Casanundra

A while ago I had an exchange of emails with him over a proposed promotional idea; he was friendly and polite. His Thai is excellent, and my missus says it's nearly accentless, this on its own will earn the respect of most Thais.

He has an excellent vocab, but I really don't think he speaks Thai that much like a Thai at all; it has the tones, and the vowel lengths almost right, but it still simply sounds like an Aussie speaking Thai well.

Most of my Thai-side family have his books and what not; I think he is good in that unlike some englishman who has always spoken english teaching english, he is clearly showing what can be accomplished with some effort to learn another language, as everyone knows he wasn't born here and didn't grow up speaking Thai.

That said, I am not sure how much vocab you learn listening to one english word surrounded by a string of Thai words.

There's a niche market for these infotainment type foreign teachers in almost every Asian country- certainly I know of them in China and Japan, and of course in Thailand. They don't do much to increase the amount of English actually spoken by anyone, but who does? (cynically speaking)

"Steven"