Connecting To Maxnet, Tt And T.

Unwell

hi all, hope you're well. was advised to put this to you guys, hope you can help me out...

:o

something of a long shot but i'm at the end of my tether with this nonsense. i recently signed up for tt and t adsl internet in my room. the guy's came round and put in the brand new, external phone line. i already had the router they gave me when i signed up. problem is i can't configure the thing! i'm no computer expert but i think i know the basics. it's all plugged in correctly, the juice is a 'flowing, but when i try to configure the router it just doesn't happen.

there's a disc to lead you through and all seems well except when i try to save the password and username into the router. it doesn't happen.

there's a diagnostic tool also which keeps suggesting i'm doing one of three things wrong - a. power? power fine, b. cables properly plugged in? seem fine, c. "is the network card correct?"...hmmm.

now this lappy has been connected to the internet before in many possible ways from dial-up to wireless to adsl and i've never fiddled about with a network card before...could it be this?

or could the password be dodgy, the router not working? man, it's wearing me down! they have a helpline answer that never answers, various other numbers take me to various other people whose english is limited and have no idea where i am or what i'm talking about.

so, any ideas guys? any of you fellas get yer interweb off tt and t? does it seem i'm doing something fundamentally wrong with the set-up?

really would appreciate the help.

thanks all.

thanks for replying monty. appreciate it. just read some of your maxnet horror stories, doesn't sound too good but c'est la vie, i'll give it a try.

router? not sure, it's the freebie they give away. will check tonight, post tomorrow.

getting into the router? not sure, tried but didn't seem to happen.

thanks for replying monty. appreciate it. just read some of your maxnet horror stories, doesn't sound too good but c'est la vie, i'll give it a try.

router? not sure, it's the freebie they give away. will check tonight, post tomorrow.

getting into the router? not sure, tried but didn't seem to happen.

If the router came with a 3 port connector (buffer/filter) - plug it into the telephone/incoming line & connect your router where it tells you.

Then try again.

t. do you mean the threeway splitter that divides the main line into a line to the phone and a line to the router? if so, that's done.

monty. router = XAVI X8821r+

i tried again last night to access the router by typing the ip into the address bar. no joy.

thanks both for your help.

Unwell, I've been using TT&T Maxnet ADSL for the last 7 or 8 months with no problems. The router they gave me was the Zyxel Prestige 600 series, and the set up was sooo easy. I looked at the link for your router, and the first thing I noticed was the two firmware updates, one for TOT and one for TTT, and the first thing I thought of was that they just forgot to install the firmware before they gave it to you. I would try and install the firmware for TTT, or the easiet thing to do may be to just put the router and all of the papers in the box, and along with your laptop bring it to the TT&T office and have them set it up for you. I have a friend who also uses TTT, and the router they originally gave him did not work at all and when he brought it back to them they gave him another one which worked fine.

Higgy

lets see how your network card is configured...

plug in the router and make sure it's turned on, then start your PC.

click start -> run, type cmd and hit enter. You'll see the black command window now.

type "ipconfig /all" without the brackets.

Then post here what you see...

thank you both very much for your learned input.

higgy - 1. i'm not sure how to "install the firmware for tt and t".

2. yeah, i've given quite a bit of consideration to the possibility of the router being faulty or the password being hooky. the problem is i'm down in songklha mate, the office is not the easiest place in the world for me to get to. i can see me having to tho...

monty - i'll do what you ask mate and will post tomorrow, thanks.

cheers all.

If it's not too late, and not even more confusing, if you aren't able to post a screenshot of your "ipconfig /all" screen, and don't want to type it character by character, modify Monty's suggestion:

click start -> run, type cmd and hit enter. You'll see the black command window now.

type "ipconfig /all" without the brackets.

to

type "ipconfig /all >c:\ip.txt" without the brackets.

Then open MyComputer and double-click on the "ip.txt" file on your C: drive, <ctrl+a> (press and hold the CTRL key and tap the A key) to select all the text, and then <ctrl+v> to paste it in a message here.

My apologies if I made this too confusing, but it's not easy to type everything you see from one window into another!