Thai NRSA committee on road safety wants new strategies to tackle road accidents

webfact

NRSA committee on road safety wants new strategies to tackle road accidents

BANGKOK, 23 June 2016 (NNT) - A committee under the National Reform Steering Assembly has called for new strategies to tackle the rising number of road accidents.

During its meeting on Wednesday, the NRSA committee on the reform of road safety, which was chaired by Mr. Nikorn Chamnong, deliberated on a master plan on road safety, seen as one of the main strategies related to the management of safety on the roads.

The meeting agreed that the rampant incidence of road accidents is worrying and reflects a complex structural problem as well as the absence of any true recognition of the importance of road safety due to the lack of related national policies.

It was noted that there have been no related measures in any National and Economic Development Plan, nor the setting of a key performance index or KPI for the main agencies responsible for road safety.

Therefore, the committee has resolved that action be taken to address these issues and help introduce a mechanism that will solve problems at all levels through new strategies and the cooperation of all ministries and offices.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-06-23 footer_n.gif

The meeting agreed that the rampant incidence of road accidents is worrying and reflects a complex structural problem as well as the absence of any true recognition of the importance of road safety due to the lack of related national policies.

Can't disagree with that at all. It's just a national shame that we're more than halfway through the Decade of Action for Road Safety (2011-2020) and we're still talking.

Now what are they actually going to do about it?

Out of the Five Pillars of Road Safety, the one that will have the most immediate effect is Road User Behaviour (BAC Laws, Seatbelts & Child Restraints, Motorcycle Helmets, Speed Management, etc.). The WHO Programme for the Decade of Action for Road Safety notes the need to "develop comprehensive programmes to improve road user behaviour. Sustained or increased enforcement of laws and standards, combined with public awareness/education to increase seat-belt and helmet wearing rates, and to reduce drink-driving, speed and other risk factors."

In order to achieve these aims, the 8 recommended actives are:

1. Increase awareness of road safety risk factors and prevention measures and implement social marketing campaigns to help influence attitudes and opinions on the need for road traffic safety programmes.
  2. Set and seek compliance with speed limits and evidence-based standards and rules to reduce speed-related crashes and injuries.
  3. Set and seek compliance with drink–driving laws and evidence-based standards and rules to reduce alcohol-related crashes and injuries.
  4. Set and seek compliance with laws and evidence-based standards and rules for motorcycle helmets to reduce head-injuries.
  5. Set and seek compliance with laws and evidence-based standards and rules for seat-belts and child restraints to reduce crash injuries.
  6. Set and seek compliance with transport, occupational health and safety laws, standards and rules for safe operation of commercial freight and transport vehicles, passenger road transport services and other public and private vehicle fleets to reduce crash injuries.
  7. Research, develop and promote comprehensive policies and practices to reduce work-related road traffic injuries in the public, private and informal sectors, in support of internationally recognized standards for road safety management systems and occupational health and safety.
  8. Promote establishment of Graduated Driver Licensing systems for novice drivers.

Activities 2-6 refer to the enforcement of existing road laws - which the RTP has proven to be utterly ineffectual for its entire existence.

Unless and until a complete structural reformation of the RTP takes place, they may as well continue to do nothing, because—in its current form—the RTP will never be able to tackle what should really be a national shame.

beatdeadhorse.gif

80% of road deaths are motorbike riders/passengers. Easy to see where any safety campaign should focus. Failure to respect road laws by this group and failure to enforce by BIB are main targets.

pretty simple really, enforce the road rules and have a police presence on them at all times. Everyday we can see everyone ignoring the traffic laws, driving through red lights, failing to give way, overtaking on double lines/blind corners, driving/riding the wrong way on roads etc etc, until such time as the police actually start to enforce the law it will continue, having decent roads would also help.

Ah yes. The Master plan to attack a complex structural problem. What to do, what to do. Try traffic enforcement?

Indeed, but that would require reform of both the police and the corrupt judiciary – and neither will happen as both are required by the cabal of minority serving scumbags running the country to enforce their grand plan for the place. In short, Thai lives don't matter when put next to their plans.

Not that the previous lot were very much better, if at all, when it came to addressing police reform (the less than independent judiciary was somewhat beyond their grasp).

The positive: acknowledging the problem.

The negative: stuck in the endless loop of "planning to plan".

I agree with the perspective about corruption and the Police. There are many problems in Thailand that will not be solved until the basic functioning of the major institutions is improving. But when it comes to the corruption of the Police, the politicization of the Judicial System, and the impunity of the Army, the National Reform Steering Assembly is remarkably quiet. This is unsurprising, given the leadership and the current autocratic form of government.

I'm afraid the prospects for improvement are dim for the next 3 to 5 years, absent an outright rebellion. The reform being pursued by the "Good People" is all about entrenching centralized, command-and-control authority, while the democratic portion of government is weakened. The only reasonable course for those of us with Thai residency or strong ties is to take care in our lives while we are in Thailand.

pretty simple really, enforce the road rules and have a police presence on them at all times. Everyday we can see everyone ignoring the traffic laws, driving through red lights, failing to give way, overtaking on double lines/blind corners, driving/riding the wrong way on roads etc etc, until such time as the police actually start to enforce the law it will continue, having decent roads would also help.

Ah yes, makes perfect sense to us, but to others it might be more about how to achieve a certain goal without any effort or thought. There lies the "disconnect."

And besides if anything is suggested from "outside or outsiders" then FORGET it.

The positive: acknowledging the problem.

The negative: stuck in the endless loop of "planning to plan".

I agree with the perspective about corruption and the Police. There are many problems in Thailand that will not be solved until the basic functioning of the major institutions is improving. But when it comes to the corruption of the Police, the politicization of the Judicial System, and the impunity of the Army, the National Reform Steering Assembly is remarkably quiet. This is unsurprising, given the leadership and the current autocratic form of government.

I'm afraid the prospects for improvement are dim for the next 3 to 5 years, absent an outright rebellion. The reform being pursued by the "Good People" is all about entrenching centralized, command-and-control authority, while the democratic portion of government is weakened. The only reasonable course for those of us with Thai residency or strong ties is to take care in our lives while we are in Thailand.

Another part of the equation is an organization that spews "accidents/deaths" etc. are bad luck/karma or because a ghost or two made it happen.

It has been said by many of us many times but...all Thais do is talk and make more laws and try to make it look like they give a s**t.

The problem is the BIB, all they do is collect protection money or worse like the uniformed mafia they are.

'The meeting agreed that the rampant incidence of road accidents ... reflects ... the absence of any true recognition of the importance of road safety due to the lack of related national policies.' Seriously? Nothing to do with most drivers' complete ignorance of road rules, signs or markings, or their total inability to understand even the most basic safety concepts, then? No connection to an abject failure by the RTP to enforce existing road laws ... or to even recognise any breach of them?

Obviously the idea of a strategy that actually forces drivers to learn to drive properly, to pass a test that does what it should say on the label, that ensures they know and understand the law and can interpret the signs and markings, that slaps them with proportionate penalties for breaking a law, and that pushes the police to put more effort into doing their job, will not be on the cards.

Instead of coming with "new ideas" just enforce the existing laws for <deleted> sake!

... and increase the fines to a level that actually has an effect. Paltry fines are just shrugged off.

First get the police out of the bribe collecting business ( the illegal businesses can mail their brown envelops in) and having them patrolling the streets and highways handing out tickets for all offences.Then removing the driving privileges of all major offences or several minor offences for three years..Confiscating the vehicles of any one driving without a license. with it costing 10,000 baht on small value units ,up to 10,000,000 baht for more expansive units..

Oh come on. The garbage is getting blamed for the slow drainage, just blame the motor vehicle for the accidents, that way thais are victims to these things and not responsible for the deaths. Furthermore, it will not tarnish your face as it's not your fault.

They even sit together in their commitee to find a new/different solution to the problem, as enforcement just didn't work out for some reason.

80% of road deaths are motorbike riders/passengers. Easy to see where any safety campaign should focus. Failure to respect road laws by this group and failure to enforce by BIB are main targets.

The topic here is about road accidents, not road deaths.

It is true that motorbikes are involved in a lot of road accidents and because a large proportion of the riders / passengers do not don even the basic safety gear (ie helmets), a lot of lives from this group are lost.

However, these accidents usually involve another motorist, usually a car or pickup or truck or lorry or bus. A lot of the accidents that I see are actually caused by these other motorists. So any safety campaign should focus on all motorists, not just motorbike riders.

The topic here is about road accidents, not road deaths.

It is true that motorbikes are involved in a lot of road accidents and because a large proportion of the riders / passengers do not don even the basic safety gear (ie helmets), a lot of lives from this group are lost.

However, these accidents usually involve another motorist, usually a car or pickup or truck or lorry or bus. A lot of the accidents that I see are actually caused by these other motorists. So any safety campaign should focus on all motorists, not just motorbike riders.

"The topic here is about road accidents, not road deaths."

And to reduce traffic deaths, you have to reduce.....

Unless a lot of the traffic deaths are due to heart attacks, that might be true...

"It is true that motorbikes are involved in a lot of road accidents and because a large proportion of the riders / passengers do not don even the basic safety gear (ie helmets), a lot of lives from this group are lost.

However, these accidents usually involve another motorist, usually a car or pickup or truck or lorry or bus. A lot of the accidents that I see are actually caused by these other motorists. So any safety campaign should focus on all motorists, not just motorbike riders."

True...

W

Edited by Winniedapu

Instead of coming with "new ideas" just enforce the existing laws for <deleted> sake!

... and increase the fines to a level that actually has an effect. Paltry fines are just shrugged off.

Boyyyyyyyyyyy I'll tell ya that worked for me. Years ago after my military duty was completed I "got my wheels" back. I was speeding on day/night and was caught by PA State Troopers. I was fined some "crazy" fine.... like a weeks pay. Then I got points on my license. Then my insurance company was contacted of my speeding. They increased my car insurance rates because I was "a risk." Man I went to speed limit after that. lol lol Lesson learned...

What would it take to get Thai police to enforce traffic laws in an effective way, so that safety could be improved?

Many on this forum consider RTP coruption to be a core issue. In other discussions, people have also mentioned low salaries, low qualifications, and the system of patronage within the command structure.

I would put these all together under the heading of Police and Road Safety Reform

1. Actions to reduce the patronage system

- decentralizing the RTP command structure; breakup into regional/district units under independent local control

- establish a separate "Federal" police unit, under a separate command, with authority to investigate and prosecute police corruption

2. Actions to improve police quality

- police officer enhanced qualification criteria and recertification across the board

- pay raises for all recertified officers

- probationary period for all unqualified officers

3. Actions to improve road safety

- adoption of WHO program (as spelled out in a post above)

- appointment and acountability of a national road safety unit commander with implementation responsibility

- regular, monthly collection and publishing in the media of road accident and death statistics

I am available for consulting assigments in Thailand, with reasonable per diem rates, beginning Q3 this year.

In the meantime, I will continue with my regular job, just in case.

wai.gif

Edited by phoenixdoglover

Boyyyyyyyyyyy I'll tell ya that worked for me. Years ago after my military duty was completed I "got my wheels" back. I was speeding on day/night and was caught by PA State Troopers. I was fined some "crazy" fine.... like a weeks pay. Then I got points on my license. Then my insurance company was contacted of my speeding. They increased my car insurance rates because I was "a risk." Man I went to speed limit after that. lol lol Lesson learned...

My first few years in Thailand I was a Thai apologist...Falangs bad Thais good that was my motto and I used to say stupid stuff like Thailand is free...your free to do what you want here, you don't have that kind of freedom in Falangastan, well a few years latter after driving in Thailand and now I am not so impressed with all the freedom and now many would call me a Thai basher.

If they pushed poeple to use the horn by day in case of danger instead of forbid it ..and say it on TV and driving exam.. .25% less dead for sure

Specialy for trucks and busses

Edited by jerome2

My first few years in Thailand I was a Thai apologist...Falangs bad Thais good that was my motto and I used to say stupid stuff like Thailand is free...your free to do what you want here, you don't have that kind of freedom in Falangastan, well a few years latter after driving in Thailand and now I am not so impressed with all the freedom and now many would call me a Thai basher.

2 to 3 years is what it seems to take to get a bellyfull of these people and their culture. I know I started to see cracks in the facade I built for myself after about 2 years, After 3 years the transformation was complete. I have no time for these people and am just here for the weather (except for this year, it's been hotter than I like). I get my Thai wife to do all business with Thais and if I have a choice, I don't like them coming to my home.

I have nothing to offer them and they have nothing to offer me, nothing that I want anyway.

Sad but true. One of these days I'll probably up sticks and leave, but not today. I have what I am (such as it is), what I know, and a small bank balance. My needs are modest, life is good and I am free, I have no cultural obligations to weigh me down.

For all they're the best and luckiest people in the world, I wouldn't be Thai for all the tea in China, same as they wouldn't want to be me..

W

Edited by Winniedapu

There is a committee? They should be sent to the morgue to look at the bodies every time there is a fatality that could have been prevented by enforcement. They should also have to meet with the families of the victims.