Is it possible/OK to have cigarettes shipped from USA to Thailand?

ChiangRai Charlie

Hi there. I'm in American living in Chang Rai. I have a great habit/ritual of smoking a couple American Spirit cigarettes a day. It's the only brand I can tolerate and enjoy. And the carton I came with two months ago is nearing nil. I'm having a family member send me a care package, and I am wondering whether it would pose any problem for him to include five or 10 packs of cigarettes in the box? Does anybody know the laws in regards to this, and how strongly or laxed they are enforced? Any help/input/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Suggest American friends slice open the cigs, collect only the tobac and send that to you. Then you roll your own, or take a pipe. Use the whole carton = 200 cigarettes. Mark the postage package as 'health product'.

The ready-made smokes are usually subject to high import tax and often to very restricted numbers.

Eg. Entering Hong Kong a person is allowed only 19 cigarettes, not even one pack.

Jobin, I appreciate the input. It does, however, seems like a fair amount of work on both sides of the seas. Also, I'm the worst hand-roller ever, and would need filters to boot. Something to consider though, I suppose, if there's truly no other option. Do you know any specifics or firsthand accounts of people importing cigarettes into Thailand? You suppose I should pretty much expect some hassle or tax? Are most incoming packages rifled with on a regular basis?

Suggest American friends slice open the cigs, collect only the tobac and send that to you. Then you roll your own, or take a pipe. Use the whole carton = 200 cigarettes. Mark the postage package as 'health product'.

The ready-made smokes are usually subject to high import tax and often to very restricted numbers.

Eg. Entering Hong Kong a person is allowed only 19 cigarettes, not even one pack.

Wow. 19 cigarettes.

Almost a pack, but not quite.

For your other idea, about removing tobacco from cigarettes,

Why not just buy the loose tobacco,

And then send that over with a rolling machine?

I would try five or six packs in a flat as possible envelope.....boxes are scrutinized way more...Didn't RJR just sell American Spirit to a Japanese Company?

Taxes can run about 60%+....and are calculated on product plus shipping. Technically, if you need to get a permit from the Excise Department to import tobacco...and if they are having a real bad hair day, they won't let you have them at all. Otherwise, feel lucky if it stops at your local PO, and you will be able to go pay the duty and collect it there. Customs is worse than the police station.

i am wondering how compressible tobacco leaves might be. For example, it might be physically possible to reduce the equivalent of the tobacco in a carton of cigarettes to an almost flat rectangular shape which could be slipped into a normal letter envelope. It would still weigh the same of course.

There are probably trash compactors that have enough force. However, if you really wanted to get it flat, then use one of those hydraulic presses for doing steel forgings.

You probably would not want to compress it so much that you lost the essential oils in the tobacco which give it its flavor.

many thanks for all your inputs. it’s quite an impressing showing of help. regarding any situation using bought loose tobacco - i quite specifically only enjoy and can tolerate the ultra mellow blend (orange pack) of american spirits, and they don’t offer this as loose tobacco. and the cigs were gonna be sent as part of a larger care package, so stuffing them into a mere envelope isn’t an option for now, although there are some very clever and ambitious ideas thrown into that notion (WWand). the basic vibe I’m getting from you guys is that having cigs sent is a somewhat complicated and possible pricey prospect - 60% is a mighty high tax. i might have to embark on one of these ideas soon enough, but there is a slight chance a friend might be coming to visit next month so I’ll wait to see if that happens first, as he could bring me a carton easy. thanks so much for all your help.

many thanks for all your inputs. its quite an impressing showing of help. regarding any situation using bought loose tobacco - i quite specifically only enjoy and can tolerate the ultra mellow blend (orange pack) of american spirits, and they dont offer this as loose tobacco. and the cigs were gonna be sent as part of a larger care package, so stuffing them into a mere envelope isnt an option for now, although there are some very clever and ambitious ideas thrown into that notion (WWand). the basic vibe Im getting from you guys is that having cigs sent is a somewhat complicated and possible pricey prospect - 60% is a mighty high tax. i might have to embark on one of these ideas soon enough, but there is a slight chance a friend might be coming to visit next month so Ill wait to see if that happens first, as he could bring me a carton easy. thanks so much for all your help.

I can, myself, understand that once one favors one brand of tobacco, then it is not an appetizing alternative to be forced to change.

I wonder if you have tried the more expensive local brands. There is one brand, maybe more, which are very pricey, and which may have a premium tobacco. You might try that, at least out of curiosity.

Also, when you speak of your preference for a more mellow flavor.... Have you considered trying a hookah?

Remember that hookah smoking catapilliar...

I belive there could be some viable local options. Go local and avoid the hassle, is what the dormouse might advise in similar circumstances.

Loose tobacco or ready rolled packs are still classed the same and unless you declare them and pay the import duty on them they are illegal. As an ex smoker I can sympathise with you a little as I smoked only the one brand but this might just be the perfect excuse to stop thumbsup.gif

Either that or try to find a top end tobacconist in BKK where you can order them, or get fellow Americans that are coming over to bring a carton biggrin.png

On the subject of other smoking options, I'm afraid I'm a dyed in the wool devotee of these one cigs and i've never inhaled anythibg remotely like them. They're as dear and precious and special to me as pets or my favorite faded jeans Or some such. I'd almost feel like I'm cheating on them if I smoke something else at this point. More to the point, there's no additives, no synthetics, no burning agents, and they must be the lightest cigarettes on earth.

But thank you, again, for your thoughts.

I'm also wondering, in regards to this 60% tax, how this is collected. Is the tax demanded upon delivery, or? I might have just a couple packs stuck in the package for good measure to hold me over until I figure out how to arrange for a larger fix.

Uksomchai, how likely and/or how often are packages inspected? Are you on the side of advising to clearly and honestly declare even a few packs of cigarettes tucked inside an article of clothing? What happens if they find such contraband undeclared? What penalty? Might I lose the contents of my care package altogether?

I think the most practical solution would be this:

1. If you are not worried about any penalty or fine to have someone mail cigarettes to you in Thailand, then there would be no downside to making several mailings instead of one.

2. I do not know how many might fit in a longer, but regular, business envelope, of the type that are used to send files.

3. However you might just have someone mail them once per week, with 14 cigarettes in an envelope.

4. I have noticed that the envelopes do not get bent, during transit, like the packages do. And I think they arrive much faster, because I sometimes think that the airmail parcels go by ocean freight.

So, the suggestion is to make a many more small airmail mailings, with about 14 cigarettes in each. The cost for an envelope is low. You might want to use one envelope inside another one to keep the cigarettes from getting bent.

If it works, then this would be your best long term solution.

Or, why not contact the manufacturer directly and ask them what is their best solution.

They might send you free samples if you would be willing to promote them on TV.

Edited by WonderousWand

Uksomchai, how likely and/or how often are packages inspected? Are you on the side of advising to clearly and honestly declare even a few packs of cigarettes tucked inside an article of clothing? What happens if they find such contraband undeclared? What penalty? Might I lose the contents of my care package altogether?

You have a similar attitude to a friend I had. He thought like you. Hey its just a few packs of smokes. He was fined 8X the value of the cigarettes, Then fined for smuggling, lost everything in the package including the non smokes and warned he faced going to jail if he ever did it again. Up to you as they say. If they are as loved as you say the ship over a 200 pack carton, declare them and pay the duty or stuff a few packs in a parcel and hope for the best wink.png

You have a similar attitude to a friend I had. He thought like you. Hey its just a few packs of smokes. He was fined 8X the value of the cigarettes, Then fined for smuggling, lost everything in the package including the non smokes and warned he faced going to jail if he ever did it again. Up to you as they say. If they are as loved as you say the ship over a 200 pack carton, declare them and pay the duty or stuff a few packs in a parcel and hope for the best wink.png

I very much agree.

There is no reason to ever avoid abiding by, or circumvent, the law of the land, where one is living.

I would never do it.

As I mentioned above, I really suggest you contact the supplier, or any Pacific Rim distributor.

Cigarette companies are famous (some might say infamous) for giving out free samples, and they might pay shopping costs.

Does not hurt to ask.

Edited by WonderousWand

I recommend you stop smoking today!!

I've lost most of my friends to lung cancer over the years.

Many cut their lives short by 20 years!hit-the-fan.gif

The last time I saw my best friend was 20 years ago through a hospital window in intensive care. He was hooked up to a breathing device. He looked at me and shrugged his shoulders. He died that night. The saddest sight was to watch him decline over 6 months to where he could not even climb the stairs to his apartment.

In my opinion, anyone that smokes is a long term suicide with all the info regarding the number of toxic chemicals in one cigarette today.

Jobin, I appreciate the input. It does, however, seems like a fair amount of work on both sides of the seas. Also, I'm the worst hand-roller ever, and would need filters to boot. Something to consider though, I suppose, if there's truly no other option. Do you know any specifics or firsthand accounts of people importing cigarettes into Thailand? You suppose I should pretty much expect some hassle or tax? Are most incoming packages rifled with on a regular basis?

You might try sending the package USPS (the post office). For an extra charge you can get tracking, just like with UPS, FedEx, etc. . I've noticed that a high percentage of packages sent UPS, FedEx, etc. get checked and often you have to pay high customs fees. And also lately UPS and FedEx have been adding charges that you have to pay before delivery on every package I've received that they say are customs fees, but I suspect are not, they're just a rip off, they're just extra money for the carrier. But after sending more than 50 packages USPS over the years, only one has been checked by customs. All the rest have just gone right though. My theory is that there are just way to many packages sent through the postal service for customs to check.

I have 50 cigars shipped to me by USPS (with tracking) every few months. The US company I order from sends them in a small carton (box) and puts a "nominal" value on the customs form. Never have had to pay any duty, so far. Been doing this a few years now.

I recommend you stop smoking today!!

I've lost most of my friends to lung cancer over the years.

Many cut their lives short by 20 years!hit-the-fan.gif

The last time I saw my best friend was 20 years ago through a hospital window in intensive care. He was hooked up to a breathing device. He looked at me and shrugged his shoulders. He died that night. The saddest sight was to watch him decline over 6 months to where he could not even climb the stairs to his apartment.

In my opinion, anyone that smokes is a long term suicide with all the info regarding the number of toxic chemicals in one cigarette today.

Yes, I agree that we should quit. I am now fighting the battle, this very morning. I must quit, but it is difficult.

I am glad the government here either taxes or bans the importation of ALL cigarettes without this type of packaging.

Cigarettes are worse than many other types of drugs, or at least more harmful. Even one cigarette, because they are also gateway drugs... Ie they after the pleasure centers in the brain, which causes or facilitates addiction.

I am grateful for this packaging.

All cigarettes should be labeled this way before being allowed in.

We have the personal freedom to smoke.

But, people who do not smoke yet, or the youth especially, have the RIGHT to be protected from the importation of these cancer sticks.

I am speaking as one who got hooked due to cigarette advertising and because, probably, my father smoked.

I would gladly have changed fathers, if it might have meant that I would not have been exposed to cigarettes.

Another different father would have been a small price to pay.

post-257660-0-08214100-1466746139_thumb.post-257660-0-90283200-1466746159_thumb.

Also, I cannot help recalling that slogan: Better Fight Than Switch.

Which brand was that? Who knows. But I guess there is no better example here.

I like the LM Reds.

As you can see.

And I would rather fight than switch!

If this is to included in a larger "care package", I would suspect customs would look at it more closely. What else are they sending you? You might have more problems than just your smokes?

I had never heard of Spirit...

The Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company promotes an all natural, 100% additive-free tobacco products available anywhere.

There are 10 flavors of american spirit cigarettes:

1. Gold Package with Organic Light Filter.

2. Maroon Package with Organic Regular Filter.

3. Celadon Package Medium Filter.

4. Yellow Package with Light Filter.

5. Yellow/White Pkg with Ultra Light Filter.

6. Green Package with Menthol Filter.

7. Green/White Pkg with Menthol Light Filter.

8. Black with Perique's.

9. Blue with Regular Filter.

10. Brown without Filter.

But since I am kind of an ironical kind of guy, I think I would choose Maroon,

If I were not now smoking a fag of LM Deng.

The LM Deng is made of choice tobacco, and is low priced. And so I recommend it to avoid the hassle.

But I am now checking if the American Tobacco company can send over some free sample cartons for interested readers of TV.post-257660-0-58649500-1466752012_thumb.

Edited by WonderousWand

I have 50 cigars shipped to me by USPS (with tracking) every few months. The US company I order from sends them in a small carton (box) and puts a "nominal" value on the customs form. Never have had to pay any duty, so far. Been doing this a few years now.

If you click on the link you will see that cigars can be sent legally internationally from the USA but cigarettes are not allowed to be shipped internationally by the Post Office.

https://www.usps.com/ship/shipping-restrictions.htm

If you click on the link you will see that cigars can be sent legally internationally from the USA but cigarettes are not allowed to be shipped internationally by the Post Office.

https://www.usps.com/ship/shipping-restrictions.htm

Thanks for the link. Lucky for me that cigars are allowed and I don't smoke cigarettes.smile.png

thanks again for all your inputs. being a newbie to living in Thailand, w/out any experience with receiving mail, or knowledge of the laws of the land, etc… it’s been a very good education.

Wonderous Wand (of Fire), do you have any idea the approx cost of shipping “14 cigarettes in an envelope” as you suggest? ballpark? Yes, the Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company is indeed the company who makes American Spirits!! it is precisely the orange carton shown in the photo you posted that are my loves, my little pets!

uksomchai, thanks much for the stern warning and story about your friend and his fine. am definitely bearing it in mind.

Dan5 thanks for sharing your experience with USPS. they would be who i’d use if i decided to ship the cigs in any shape or form.

hoosierdaddy, where is justhaimag and are you saying they had american spirit brand cigs for sale?

ken, sounds worth it for me to inquire about having the cigs shipped from ASpirit HQ themselves (although tony points out that cigars are a different class than cigarettes). will do so. thanks.

jefffkp, in the care package, i’m having a prized novel sent, as well as a couple extra t-shirts….AND some sleeping medication, which could potentially be another alarm in tandem with the cigs, which, mixed with all i’ve gathered here, is another reason i’m very much veering towards not including them in that care package…

regarding those who have spoken of the dangers of cigarette-smoking, as mentioned in the OP, i only smoke 2 a day (for good reason), and these cigarettes are the lightest tobacco content on earth. everything in moderation, i say…i am not very much concerned with my lungs with such intake/inhalations, and i really enjoy smoking them, as part of some kind of reflective/meditative ritual…

Edited by ChiangRai Charlie