Cancelling re entry permit at the airport?

Okay so the backstory here is that I currently have a non imm B with extension until November. I've just left my previous job, and it's not on the best of terms so I don't trust them to cancel my work permit in time for me starting my new job, or to provide me with the letter to go cancel my visa extension. I do know they will definitely be cancelling it at some point soon though.

I think the simplest way of me taking this into my own hands and getting it over with quickly would be to leave the country (before I start my new job), cancelling my current visa/extension, and come back in on a 30 day. Then I can go straight to my new job with the relevant documents, and they have said they will sort out a new non imm B for me.

The only complication is that I have a multiple re entry permit. My new job have told me that I should be able to cancel this at immigration at the airport (basically just tell them I want them to ignore the re entry permit and let me back in on a 30 day), but I have been trying to find out if this is actually possible.

The only information I have found about cancelling my re entry permit says I need to do it when I go to immigration and cancel my non imm B but, as I have mentioned, I don't trust my old place of work to provide me with the letter I need to do this, and I know a much simpler way of cancelling it would be by leaving the country.

SO, in short: what I'd like to do is leave the country, cancelling my re entry permit and visa extension at the airport, and coming back in on a 30 day tourist visa. Is this possible?

Your re-entry permit can only be canceled when your extension is canceled at immigration.

If you enter with a valid re-entry permit the officer will more than likely insist on using it instead of giving you a visa exempt entry.

Your re-entry permit can only be canceled when your extension is canceled at immigration.

If you enter with a valid re-entry permit the officer will more than likely insist on using it instead of giving you a visa exempt entry.

My new employers have told me it's possible to do, which is why I'm a bit confused. Does anybody have any experience trying to do this? Was it successful or not?

What if I asked them to void my re entry at immigration before I even leave the country? The office there is where I got the re entry stamp in the first place, would they be willing to cancel it there?

I doubt that my previous employers are going to provide me with the relevant letter to cancel my extension at immigration, but if they do is it possible for them to give a later date?

For example, if they go in on Thursday the 30th but give Sunday the 3rd as my leaving date (and put this on the letter), in order to give me time to cancel my extension and leave the country so I don't have to do it all in one day. Is that possible? Or do they have to provide the current date as my leaving date?

Sorry for the million and one different questions and thanks for your help

You need a letter from your employer stating the date you job is ending. You can go to immigration a few days before that date and they will post date the cancellation to that date.

If you do on the date your job ends you can apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave.

You need a letter from your employer stating the date you job is ending. You can go to immigration a few days before that date and they will post date the cancellation to that date.

If you do on the date your job ends you can apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave.

Thanks! And does my employer need to have terminated the work permit at this point, or can I go to immigration with the letter before they do that?

And if they post date the cancellation to the 3rd (for example), would I have to fly out on the 3rd to come back on a 30 day or would I be able to fly out before then?

Thanks for that information, that's really useful

I had something similar. A mistake was made at BKK on my re-entry one time, and even though I had a retirement extension with re entry permit the officer stamped me in on a 30 day visa exempt. Because of the mistake I could not get my extension at year end. I was told I had to do the process over by leaving the country and get a 15 day visa exempt. I then had to go back to CW to get a 90 day O and then come back for a 1 year extension based on retirement.

In order to do that I had to sign an affidavit at CW saying I was requested my Re Entry permit be cancelled. Then they stamped something in Thai across it and wrote in English that I requested it be canceled. I went to Cambodia in a Visa run van to leave Thailand and re-enter on a 15 day visa exempt. The officers were confused because I had a valid Visa, but let me leave and come back and gave me the 15 day I needed.

Hey, just an update on my visa situation and another question!

I found out that my old workplace were going to try and use a letter with the incorrect date on it to cancel my work permit (the date I handed in my resignation rather than the actual date). They were unwilling to amend this date so I had to fly out of the country and back yesterday to try and avoid any overstay charges.

As was advised on here, they weren't able to cancel my re entry permit or visa extension at the airport, but after I explained the situation they were able to give me a 30 day stamp (he stamped it with the wrong date at first but he's amended and signed it in my passport).

They told me at the airport that I should still go to immigration to get the old visa extension and re entry permit stamped as cancelled but I probably won't be able to do that without a letter from my previous employer with the correct dates on it. Nobody is willing to provide me with that so I'm going to see if I can get hold of the receipt from my work permit cancellation, as I've been told you can use that in the case of your employer not providing you with a letter.

My question is: now that I have the 30 day stamp, is it totally necessary for me to go to immigration and stamp my extension and re-entry as cancelled, or are they just telling me that to avoid any future confusion in the airport?

Until your extension and re-entry permit is canceled or they expire you could have further problems when entering the country.

Your extension is technically invalid already since you now have a new permit to stay date from the visa exempt entry you got.

• 2 years later...

Hey guys! I have resigned from work at the end of December, 2018. I was told by the school to make a re-entry permit, so I did it and left Thailand. I am pretty sure school staff was too lazy to cancel my work permit.

I am planning to come to Thailand next month on a 30 days visa exempt. Are there going to be any problems entering Thailand by plane? I don't know why, but I am a bit worried about it.