Bank Account For Farang

hi guys

i'm in bangkok and trying to bring in money

but ATM will only dish out 20,000 BHT per day

i thought i would open a thai bank account

but when i went to local (petchburi) ayudhya bank

i was told i cant have an account without a work permit

Is there a bank that will give me an account or all same same ?

cheers

stu_$

ps, as soon as i have account i will be buying a couple of those farang shirts

would be nice to display it proudly as i am hearing "farang" everywhere !

You should be able to open a standard "savings" account (with an ATM card) without a Work Permit. I was under the impression Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) required a work permit... but i did open mine nearly 2 years ago, so i guess things could have changed.

Your best bet, just go around all the various banks in your area and ask them, one is bound to say yes to you sooner or later...

Hope you enjoy the shirts :o

The only thing I will say to the "you need a work permit first" requirement, is how the hlll does someone on their initial 90 day Non Immigrant O (supporting spouse, retirement etc) visa open up a bank account to deposit the financial requirements for their visa extension?

A bit of jit sum nuek is required here. try a smaller branch.

I got a savings account at BKK bank, no work permit, showed passport and visa, they also exchanged a few thousand dollars into baht.

I also received an ATM card 2 days later.

Bangkok Bank, Thai Farmers and Siam Commercial are generally reasonable, as long as you have a non-immigrant visa.

Thai law around this is organized to keep your money in thailand.

Thai lokal banks (krungthai, bangkokbank, bank of asia) are allowed to open a savings account only for foreigners.

International bank holdings ( HSBC, citybank) can only open accounts when you have a work permit.

A work around for some people might be that citybank can open an account in HK or SG remotely if you ask for it in bangkok head office.

This way your foreign money becomes capatilized in Thai company's.

Atm is normally issued immediatly, visa debit card (thailand only) can also be issued after a week.

A real visa card is almost impossible and the conditions differ from each branch. I was tols at krungthai of half a million bath in savings account before being eligable.

The best one there is Bank of asia (ABN Amro) 6 months client history and a setup fee only.

banks in tourist areas do nothing more then make accounts every day for farangs, out in the bush it might be more difficult.

I got a savings account at BKK bank, no work permit, showed passport and visa, they also exchanged a few thousand dollars into baht.

I also received an ATM card 2 days later.

In March, me and my passport and money plus BKK bank. DONE! (savings account)

ATM card 1 week.

2 days later? Did you pay them tea money? :o

:D

Is it really better to have an account in a Thai Bank with an ATM card, than drawing money at any ATM Machine from an overseas (savings) account?

I have a saving account at AMRO overseas, with my salary paid on this account (and others). In Thailand I only have a multiple entry visa, no work permit so I thought I was not entitled to open an account here. :D

What I read above is different... so I might consider try my luck :o

So far had no problem to withdraw money (and I can draw more than USD 1,000 per day). But I have to pay the extra charge to my Bank everytime I draw money in Thailand. Would I pay less fee everytime I take money from my account?

Thanks for any enlightment you may provide :D

Would I pay less fee everytime I take money from my account?

You pay nothing. :D

wow, thanks meemiathai, that was fast :D

i guess there would be significant fees for transfering money from overseas to yet another account in Thailand... but all transfer charges on Company account :o

i'll try to open an account tomorrow then (dunno if they are open on sat., though :D )

i'll try to open an account tomorrow then (dunno if they are open on sat., though  :D )

I don't think so but not sure. :o

I just had a look at my atm card. It is called the --BE 1st-- card from BKK bank with a VISA symbol on it.(guess it can be used to pay bills as well like credit cards when there's money in the bank/but never tried it)

Maximum daily withdrawal 150,000 baht/25,000 baht each transaction.

Sorry, forgot to mention there is an annual fee. First year 300baht, then 200baht onwards.

I don't think so but not sure. :o

I just had a look at my atm card. It is called the --BE 1st-- card from BKK bank with a VISA symbol on it.(guess it can be used to pay bills as well like credit cards when there's money in the bank/but never tried it)

Maximum daily withdrawal 150,000 baht/25,000 baht each transaction.

Sorry, forgot to mention there is an annual fee. First year 300baht, then 200baht onwards.

Micro branches at major shopping centres are open on weekends. But I don't think you will be able to open an account there. Not sure though.

The Be 1st is debit card (VISA Electron). So, you can do much more things - like buying stuff - with this card, than with an ATM card. But then, there is also gold card for ATM too. Bangkok Bank's is called Bualuang Premier. I'm not sure about the limit there. But my gold ATM card (Krung Thai Bank), the limit is the same as VISA Electron.

• 4 weeks later...

There are limits on what one can do on a tourist visa.

The banks are not going to give you credit - don't matter which bank, which country - unless they consider that they have adequate coverage for the liability.

But I opened a Krung Thai account with a tourist visa, got an ATM card and registered for the Internet banking service. No charge. No problem.