'Reprimand' is all for school in Chiang Rai where 17 sleeping kids killed in fire

webfact

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This school has already re-opened.

Did anybody see any comment about changes to quality of installation of electrics, new & better equipment, smoke detectors, etc?

Oh! You are such a funny guy.

However I realise it was a rhetorical question.

This is a CRIMINAL case and it should be investigated as such. Since nothing is done,that means Thailand is a primitive country belonging to a stone age and not 21 Century. Heartless, lawless, corrupted run by crooks. You like it, or not. You can print , or not. You can't change opinions of readers. I also think that political correctness is out and should be thrown out the window when people die. Process of healing starts with telling truth as it is, not by being forced to to be silent.

Be patient. The country is still in transition. There are many parts where life is still simple and they live (or die) by their wits rather than rely on technology.

Funding all the improvements that are deemed necessary in the modern world can't all happen at once.

Be patient!? Pathetic! Been hearing that for a looong time.

Big C built a store in our town of Namsom,[100k NW of Udon] last September,we went to look round, after a wander the mrs said what you think, good? i said :

This place could hold 3/400 people comfortable,but there are no fire escapes,exstingishers or sprinkler system, its full of electrical appliances like AC,fridges lights and other stuff,and they way in and out is 1 set of electric doors, Its a death trap if there was a fire near that door! Oh she said..... if i have to go their,im in & out ASAP...

Be patient. The country is still in transition. There are many parts where life is still simple and they live (or die) by their wits rather than rely on technology.

Funding all the improvements that are deemed necessary in the modern world can't all happen at once.

The fire safety law was enacted in 1997. It's now 2016, almost 20 years later.

How much longer would you like the authorities to wait before taking it seriously?

I'm not a Thai basher. I do criticise harshly sometimes, more the government than the people, but when I see unfair bashing I'm ready to jump in and defend the many great things of this country and its people.

However, if there's one thread that makes me wanting to bash bitterly and relentlessly, that's the one.

I won't, though. Everything has been said already. It would be useless. Words fail me anyway... sad.png

Disgusting waste of life. Everyone in authority at the school should be PUNISHED. Also the authorities should be held responsible. Hill people huh? poor Hill people do not have the money to send their kids to boarding school. Only Hill people from the Golden Triangle area would be able to afford to send their kids to boarding school. Maybe this is a reason for the weak pathetic action.

The school is a Christian run charity providing schooling for hill tribe children out of reach of traditional schools, they do not have to be rich, they have to be poor and geographically out of reach.

Christian run charity or not the school failed, and its owner's and staff should be dealt with.

Considering the amount of money available to the educational system ( Chiang Rai itself has several well funded, modern and well resourced government schools in the city), one wonders why even the most basic provision cannot be made for those from poor and remote areas.

But then they are from the Hill Tribes. They simply don't matter.

Of course, but my point was to counter the comment above, that poor hill tribe people do not have the money to send their kids to boarding school and that the fact that these hill tribe kid did get afforded a school does not mean they came from drug dealing families as lungnorn inferred.

The hill tribes neglect is political, they are refugees, for decades many were kept caged in for the crime of being persecuted in Myanmar, Thailand has a shameful record of refugee treatment.

according to Prayuth Thailand is being applauded by the U.N for the quality of its human rights.

Pitakkiat Witthaya is run by a Christian charity called Panthakit Suksan Foundation. Its directors have yet to agree to any financial compensation to parents of the 17 victims, Winai said.

This charity must be shamed with everything in our power. They must be held accountable for the gross negligence they displayed. Not a single fire extinguisher. Nor a single fire escape. All the doors were locked from the outside, as if these people were being held as prisoners.

This is just another travesty of justice, in the land of "no justice for the unfortunate".

Run by a Christian charity, well there's an interesting fact.

However, despite all the racial inequality bleating here, I doubt very much if the majority of schools here are much better equipped.

Of course a residential dormitory should have all the fire detection, fire fighting and escape facilities, kids should never be locked-in unsupervised, it goes without saying. But I bet if the majority of TV members bothered to check, their own place of residence or their kids schools they would find that things are not in very good shape in respect to fire.

Look at that hugely expensive condo that caught fire in Bangkok a couple of years ago and killed some people. The sprinklers did not work, the fire alarm did not work and the fire "brigade" (555) could not get their ladders anywhere near the fire. Was anybody prosecuted? I bet not.

However, a small tip for those thinking of installing a fire alarm in a residence with a typical Thai family. Do not install it in or near the kitchen as very soon the batteries will be removed. Thai cooking is renowned for the amount of heat and smoke generated at times.

Put one in each bedroom. Or at least one in the main bedroom.

A fire blanket is good, but most will never get used and water will continue to be thrown on hot oil fires with the usual consequences.

Thai attitudes to safety are very slow to change. Not that the majority of other countries are much better. many are far, far worse.

Just look at that poor lady's face she is absolutely, devastated.

Yup, poor woman looks totally, totally gutted. As any parent would be. So very sad for those parents.

And so shocking the attitudes of officialdom in this country. The words from a cop come to mind, in the infamous case of the two English people and the two Burmese guys - what was it he said, "what's the fuss about? Just make another one!". As in "I couldn't give a stuff that your child died".

However, despite all the racial inequality bleating here, I doubt very much if the majority of schools here are much better equipped.

Of course a residential dormitory should have all the fire detection, fire fighting and escape facilities, kids should never be locked-in unsupervised, it goes without saying. But I bet if the majority of TV members bothered to check, their own place of residence or their kids schools they would find that things are not in very good shape in respect to fire.

Look at that hugely expensive condo that caught fire in Bangkok a couple of years ago and killed some people. The sprinklers did not work, the fire alarm did not work and the fire "brigade" (555) could not get their ladders anywhere near the fire. Was anybody prosecuted? I bet not.

However, a small tip for those thinking of installing a fire alarm in a residence with a typical Thai family. Do not install it in or near the kitchen as very soon the batteries will be removed. Thai cooking is renowned for the amount of heat and smoke generated at times.

A fire blanket is good, but most will never get used and water will continue to be thrown on hot oil fires with the usual consequences.

Thai attitudes to safety are very slow to change. Not that the majority of other countries are much better. many are far, far worse.

"put one in each bedroom" i dont think so,they need to be outside of any bedroom,at the bottom of the stairs,landing,they need to go off before reaching any bedroom.we brought 6 with us from the uk.and after 8yrs.are still working perfectly.all the wife's visitors havnt got a clue what they are.i just leave a peice of toast on and they soon find out what they are.

"put one in each bedroom" i dont think so,they need to be outside of any bedroom,at the bottom of the stairs,landing,they need to go off before reaching any bedroom.we brought 6 with us from the uk.and after 8yrs.are still working perfectly.all the wife's visitors havnt got a clue what they are.i just leave a peice of toast on and they soon find out what they are.

Yes precisely my point, you must be lucky with your family, an awful lot of Thai's will not put up with the alarm going off just because of burnt toast and soon take out the batteries. Especially if they have to stand on a chair/something to push the cut-out button.

NB most Thai dwellings don't have stairs or landings or separate doors for the kitchen. In the bedroom is not the best place from a technical point of view, but its the most practical here and better than nothing.

NBB 8 years is probably near the end of the stated lifetime for the smoke detection element. You should have a quick check on the label inside.