Which Pda?

petedk

Does anyone here have any experience with any of these PDA's?

I am thinking of buying a new mobile telephone and a new Pda so why not combine the two? I have read mixed reviews from other countries but none from Thailand.

Personally I am interested in the HPrw6828 for several reasons: wifi, style, screen cover to mention a few but I have read in some reports that the GSM reception is weak.

Alternatively I could buy a PDA and a mobile telephone. Any advice is more than welcome.

Thanks

You should seriously check out the Nokia smart phones available. I've had the E61 and currently use the E70, both have Wifi, email, office docs, excellent web browsers, extremely stable platforms, there's load of extra add on softare you can get, speaker phones are excellent, and you can do all or most things a PDA can more smoothly.

I had the HP you mentioned, auful it was, sold it after a day.

I have tried the PDA/Phone combo (quite a few of them O2 and HP) and I never found them to be good phones or good PDAs. They tend not to have the same amount of memory as a plain PDA and the processors are usually slower. Also as phones they are not great, many times I would get no signal when a Nokia had signal and call quality was not great. Also they tend not to be very tough (I broke a few). Now I have a Nokia phone plus an HP PDA and I am much happier with the combination.

Thanks for all the comments.

I think I'll check the Nokia E70 and maybe follow robhudd's advice and buy a PDA and a mobile. I guess we'll still have to wait a couple of years for the PDA/Mobile device I'm looking for.

You should seriously check out the Nokia smart phones available. I've had the E61 and currently use the E70, both have Wifi, email, office docs, excellent web browsers, extremely stable platforms, there's load of extra add on softare you can get, speaker phones are excellent, and you can do all or most things a PDA can more smoothly.

I had the HP you mentioned, auful it was, sold it after a day.

Can the e61 or e70 categorize notes? I am using a palm which does it without having to buy any additional software. Puting my memos in categories is important for me to access my data quickly with minimal clicks. I used to have a pocket pc but I needed additional expensive software to do it for me (PhatNotes for pocket pc.)

thanks

I, too, am in the market. The Thai fiance just picked me up a fact sheet on the Nokia E62, which I have not seen mentioned yet here.

It looks pretty good, probably stop by a shop this weekend to learn more about it, and compare to the E70.

You all read my mind with this thread, thanks!!

Uhm went to Nokia and other shops (Telewiz, Jaymart) Seacon Square on Saturday and wasted 3 or 4 hours there. Most agreed that PDAs weren't any good as telephones.

Nobody seemed to know anything about the Nokia E70 or E61. I could look at the box but that was all. No demonstration models or anything. No brochures either. They wouldn't open a box unless I agreed to buy first. How can anyone spend 25.000 baht on something they can't see or try out?

Jaymart tried to sell me Ericsson P990i. I was impressed by the functions but not the price. 30.000 Baht

Some tried to sell me a Nokia N80 saying it was just as good. Now I am even more confused.

I think I'll buy a cheap telephone and a PDA

Uhm went to Nokia and other shops (Telewiz, Jaymart) Seacon Square on Saturday and wasted 3 or 4 hours there. Most agreed that PDAs weren't any good as telephones.

Nobody seemed to know anything about the Nokia E70 or E61. I could look at the box but that was all. No demonstration models or anything. No brochures either. They wouldn't open a box unless I agreed to buy first. How can anyone spend 25.000 baht on something they can't see or try out?

Jaymart tried to sell me Ericsson P990i. I was impressed by the functions but not the price. 30.000 Baht

Some tried to sell me a Nokia N80 saying it was just as good. Now I am even more confused.

I think I'll buy a cheap telephone and a PDA

Yes that is what I am using at the moment. A pda and cheap phone. Convergence has it's drawbacks ie poor call quality, drain on battery life, losing it (you lose both pda and phone in one!). It seems portability is what sells nowadays and people will spend thousands of baht just to carry one single device instead of two. I lost my hw6515 pocket pc phone and have gone back to my trust palm T1 and cheap 1000 baht motorolla c113 motorolla phone. They do their job well and are very reliable but I have to sacrifice not being able to check my email on the go .It seems U can't have it all! If a smartphone or pda phone comes out which is both stable and reliable I may choose to converge but for now I am carrying two devices!

I have had a SE smart phone for years, they are superb, the new model SE P990i is the dogs *****ks wouldn't consider anything else, quite simply the best on the market, check it out before you buy anythng else

That's interesting, what does your Sony do that my Nokia E70 doesn't.

By the way you should never ask shop assistants here about their gadgets, they have no idea. Do some on-line research first, read a few reviews, that's how I opted for the E70. Just waiting for the new N95 to come out with 5MP camera, built in GPS maps, plus loads more.

I have had a SE smart phone for years, they are superb, the new model SE P990i is the dogs *****ks wouldn't consider anything else, quite simply the best on the market, check it out before you buy anythng else

By the way you should never ask shop assistants here about their gadgets, they have no idea. Do some on-line research first, read a few reviews, that's how I opted for the E70. Just waiting for the new N95 to come out with 5MP camera, built in GPS maps, plus loads more.

Yes, I did some research and was pretty hooked on the E70. It's just that when I was in the Nokia shop they seemed to advise against it (Maybe because they knew nothing about it.)

As for the reviews on the SE P990i, some say it's the best and others say it's rubbish and locks all the time.

I have also read about the N95 and am looking forward to reading reviews when it's released. I guess I'll still wait a bit yet but then a newer model will be in the making with even more useful features. It's the same as the PC market. Never wait because something better will come along.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive had an O2 Atom, and Dopod 838 Pro. Both lasted less than a week with the constant hanging. They were unuseable, especially if you need to stay in contact for business.

The older PDS/phones are much more stable, before Windows 5 came along. Im currently using an O2 XDA11 mini and its great. Once a week i may have a telephone signal problem, and i do miss the Wifi option that the Atom had, but other than that its great.

I even get 3 days out of the battery, and it is in use many hours every day, especially for the fone function.

I have heard good reports about the HP, but i know many unhappy people both here and in Singapore with the Dopod and O2. It doesnt help that neither have a service center here, they just use nominated repairers. To say customer service from those companies is crap would be a massive understatement.

Just Bought 838 and 838pro for about a month now.. Seems ok . Never hang yet.. i think depends on what kind of programmes and application you upload to your Pda which makes it slow and hanging.

As for me i only uses my PDa for pop3, Msn,excel,words and logging in Thaivisa.com thru GPRS or Wifi while in the Boring BTS train lol :o

But lets see how far wil my pda's goes.

Tytus

Edited by tytus

where would you like me to start.................touch screen to begin with, battery life, 2 features i regard to be extremely important, screen size could be another one, scroll wheel, general ease of use...............it's simply better in my opinion

where would you like me to start.................touch screen to begin with, battery life, 2 features i regard to be extremely important, screen size could be another one, scroll wheel, general ease of use...............it's simply better in my opinion

Can the P990 sync webpages from yor desktop for reading offline? I used to use Handstory for Palm which was great for adding webpages to my pda. Also can the p990 read rss? I used to use Avantgo for my palm pda (and pocket pc) and it was great to read news offline.

I am thinking about a mobile phone with a qwerty and BERTY mentioned that he owned the e61 and the e70.

I have considered both... primary concern is - can I record voice conversations with either? or - the important part is not actual conversations - but just record my own voice for more than a minute???? the motorola e680i I have - seems to go on unlimited... it's great for some things I'm doing online. I really need it.

What operating system are those - symbian?

There was a nokia in the clamshell flip out type - that the e70 is now - and was the forerunner to this one - and I almost bought a half broken one in pattaya for 3000 baht a year and a half ago... the qwerty for messaging/email is a must.

Anyone know about recording voice? Berty?