US border authority seeks travellers' social media details

webfact

By Chris Baraniuk
Technology reporter

WASHINGTON: -- Travellers seeking visa waiver entry to the US may soon be asked to list their social media profiles - if a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) proposal is enacted.

An update to application forms would ask users to identify what social networks they use and their "social media identifier" such as a username.

However, revealing this information would be "optional".

The changes would affect Esta and Form I-94W applications.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36650857

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2016-06-29

US border control could start asking for your social media accounts

Samuel Gibbs

US Customs and Border Protection proposal would see Facebook, Twitter and other social media accounts requested on landing and visa forms
us border control

WASHINGTON: -- The US government is proposing making social media accounts part of the visa screening process for entry into the country.

US Customs and Border Protection’s proposed change would add a line on both the online and paper forms of the visa application form that visitors to the US must fill out if they do not have a visa and are planning on staying for up to 90 days.

The following question would be added to both the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (Esta) and I-94W forms: “Please enter information associated with your online presence—Provider/Platform—Social media identifier.”

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/28/us-customs-border-protection-social-media-accounts-facebook-twitter?CMP=twt_gu

-- The Guardian 2016-06-29

What a joke. Do they really think the bad guys are going to incriminate themselves by providing this information?

Of course they will.

But the US Gov't isn't talking about enemies who want to hijack the "religion of peace". Even if they wanted none of them can read Arabic or any other Middle Eastern language.

If you are coming from an English speaking country and have shared any non-liberal views you are at risk of being denied entry.

The US gov't under the current admin & a Clinton admin will check the social media pages of military veterans, anyone supporting the 2nd amendment, opposing abortion, criticizing Obama or Hillary, etc.

What a joke. Do they really think the bad guys are going to incriminate themselves by providing this information?

Of course they will.

But the US Gov't isn't talking about enemies who want to hijack the "religion of peace". Even if they wanted none of them can read Arabic or any other Middle Eastern language.

If you are coming from an English speaking country and have shared any non-liberal views you are at risk of being denied entry.

The US gov't under the current admin & a Clinton admin will check the social media pages of military veterans, anyone supporting the 2nd amendment, opposing abortion, criticizing Obama or Hillary, etc.

so maybe Thai authorities are trying to protect their country same as US?

what if Thai government denies your stay here just because of your non liberal views? how do you feel? and what happened to the freedom of speech?

who can define a non liberal view? for you it can be non liberal for me liberal.

it means this creates gray areas and gray areas bring arbitrary actions, sometime as discrimination sometime as bigotry etc.

Edited by Galactus

Of course they will.

While to a certain extent I get 'warm fuzzies' from your username (a while back I had a '69 300 w/a 440 and a '71 Duster w/a 340 mini-mag), I wonder if you realize how convoluted your post actually is? I seriously cannot tell which position you are taking on anything you broached: Islam, languages in general? or even on which side of the political divide you might fall. You appear to have a horse in pretty much every race here. Up until now, I had always assumed you were from the USA, a predominantly English speaking country. Which reminds me of what is commonly said of they who assume... In the words of the nearly immortal Jack Nicholson, "Don't I feel like the a**hole," or words to that affect. Standing by for the final edit, in any regard.

Edited by Songlaw

Of course they will.

Know that for a fact, do ya?

That can find out anything they want about you already. This will probably not become policy anyway. It's a proposal. There will be a backlash and lawsuits. Let's see what happens before you get your panties twisted

Great - looks like the US is taking a page out of General Happy's playbook.

Next bulletin from Gen happy will be " US takes a leaf out of LoS book
What does LoS stand for? Would it be Load of s--t? Edited by Inepto Cracy

i really wonder if any of you twits noticed the word >>optional<<?

Posted Yesterday, 08:39

go.png

By Chris Baraniuk
Technology reporter

WASHINGTON: -- Travellers seeking visa waiver entry to the US may soon be asked to list their social media profiles - if a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) proposal is enacted.

An update to application forms would ask users to identify what social networks they use and their "social media identifier" such as a username.

Posted Yesterday, 08:39

go.png

By Chris Baraniuk
Technology reporter

Believe me, the consequences for not filling out "optional" can be great, but yea, you didn't have to fill it out...lol. The US constantly spies on its citizens. The feds don't even need a warrant to spy on journalists, and would disregard anyway if they were told they had to get a warrant. Phone conversations, locations, emails (esp. if you are overseas and send email back to the states), the list goes on and on. And no it isn't the "liberals" that created the police/surveillance state formerly known as the America. Cheney/Bush et al started it, Obama, who is NOT a liberal but a neocon/neoliberal tool of Wall Street criminals (like Clinton), codified it. Hopefully I will never return to what is now known as the Corporate Police State of Amerika. BTW, until you clear the ICE area, you are not in America and as an American citizen you have NO rights.

The Yanks already know all your social media accounts.

They will be flagging the ones that give false info.

Years ago they made it mandatory for banks to report all transactions over $10,000.

Then they flag all the transactions just under the limit.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course they will.

"Even if they wanted none of them can read Arabic or any other Middle Eastern language."

Yes they do. Both school trained linguists and native speaking linguists!

Both written and spoken language skills.

Edited by radiochaser

Of course they will.

"Even if they wanted none of them can read Arabic or any other Middle Eastern language."

Then hopefully they are better than our Russian language experts who made a big presentation out of a "reset" in relations complete with big, red button prop. Only the Russian word they thought meant "reset" really meant "over charge". Great job guys!

Of course they will.

Know that for a fact, do ya?

Homeland Security classifies returning US veterans and gun owners as potential terrorists...

(U//FOUO) Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment

http://fas.org/irp/eprint/rightwing.pdf

Of course they will.

While to a certain extent I get 'warm fuzzies' from your username (a while back I had a '69 300 w/a 440 and a '71 Duster w/a 340 mini-mag), I wonder if you realize how convoluted your post actually is? I seriously cannot tell which position you are taking on anything you broached: Islam, languages in general? or even on which side of the political divide you might fall. You appear to have a horse in pretty much every race here. Up until now, I had always assumed you were from the USA, a predominantly English speaking country. Which reminds me of what is commonly said of they who assume... In the words of the nearly immortal Jack Nicholson, "Don't I feel like the a**hole," or words to that affect. Standing by for the final edit, in any regard.

In the current climate people might naturally assume that the gov't wants social media details in order to look for any anti-America, pro-ISIS activity on social media before letting travelers into the country.

I am simly pointing out that the current administration isn't concerned only with misguided criminals who slander the religion of peace by shouting "allahu akhbar" before killing infidels. They also will look for right wing domestic "extremists" (as described in this Homeland Security document http://fas.org/irp/eprint/rightwing.pdf).

So now the gov't wants to use social media just like they have been using the IRS...to target conservative groups & their supporters (sorry, I meant "right wing extremists")

Of course they will.

Then hopefully they are better than our Russian language experts who made a big presentation out of a "reset" in relations complete with big, red button prop. Only the Russian word they thought meant "reset" really meant "over charge". Great job guys!

When did that happen Mopar? Let me know and I will put a question out for one of the Russian lingies. See if he/she knows about that.