Plugging In Foriegn Laptops!

booma

When I arrived in Thailand, I thought my Dell laptop would recquire a transformer from 110 to 220 so bought one and it was some months before I was told that the square device on the power cord is a transformer and that laptops are designed to be used on both currents.

I have now had three laptops since and each has had the square transformer on the power cord, never worried about where they were sold as most are manufactured in China or Malaysia which have different currents than the U.S. and most sales are for international use.

I would be surprised to learn Acer is an exception and would only work on 110 since so many are sold in Thailand and other 220 current countries.

Anyone need my expenser transformer, it has gone unused for three years.

Last month I brought a Linksys router back from the US. When I unpacked it I was irritated to see 120 VAC 12 watts on the power block. Nearly all transformers for electronics are made for 100 to 240V. I wouldn't try one in 240V if it specifically says 120V. I use a small step down transformer for it. If you decide to buy a step down transformer, make sure that is is rated for more watts than the computer needs. The transformer I have is about the size of two packs of cigarettes and is good for 80 watts.

I am using an Acer Travelmate 4152 bought a year ago in Bangkok.

The AC adapter says 100 to 240 volt AC at 1.6 amps and 50 to 60 Hz.

The output is 19 volts at 3.8 amps.

Your friends Acer was probably made in Thailand, Taiwan or China and should work OK. Just make sure that he checks the AC adapter rating on the label on the back.

just checked my rectangular thingy, for my travelmate 740, it's a liteon power supply, 100-240v

50-60 Hz 1.5 amps

19volt output @approx 4.7amps

never looked b4, the one thing that used to worry me is it did get very hot, if the batteries in pute were down.