Buddy Broadband 1 Meg

spog

the 2mB is for websites inside thailand, its 1mB for international sites. depending on how far you are from the exchange, you might be lucky to get the 1mB international speed. the price is cheaper than the tot adsl goldcyber, which is 1mB and cost 1000 baht a month. i'm paying 700 baht a month for the silvercyber which is 512mB.

one thing i noticed tot has been doing is when i get disconnected (probably due to heavy traffic, router logs say atm congested) they will reconnect me at 256 mB.

Edited by joka

the 2mB is for websites inside thailand, its 1mB for international sites. depending on how far you are from the exchange, you might be lucky to get the 1mB international speed. the price is cheaper than  the tot adsl goldcyber, which is 1mB and cost 1000 baht a month.  i'm paying 700 baht a month for the silvercyber which is 512mB.

one thing i noticed tot has been doing is when i get disconnected (probably due to heavy traffic, router logs say atm congested) they will reconnect me at 256 mB.

I think you mean 512kb? I think 8mb is about as fast as it gets at the moment. 650 baht a month for 2mb (even with the 1mb international rate) sounds like a good deal to me. But I've no experience with that connection.

8 megabits is the maximum for the original ADSL, using the G.Dmt standard. 24 megabits is the maximum for ADSL2. Japan's Yahoo BB has a 45megabit plan, and others offer FTTH (fiber to the home) at 100 megabits. Of course, with Thailand's severly limited international bandwidth (due to CAT), Thai ISPs don't offer high speeds.

The reaction on BuddyBB is mixed. There are a lot of complaints about it in the Thai ADSL forums. It seems that the speeds were OK when it first came out, but as more people subscribed, the performance dropped dramatically.

Check it out very carefully before you commit your money.

The web site, all in Thai, does not inspire confidence for a farang.

I have never heard of the company.

Can they deal with your questions in a professional manner?

How much bandwidth do they have?

they have a special promotion going on for AIS customers. I think it is free equipment.

I am not sure whether I would qualify if I got an AIS prepaid phone. Spend a few hundred baht and save a couple of thousand baht.

If they cannot write a decent web site what hope is there??

Honesty? Not much it would seem- as far as my surfing is concerned- rare is the Thai web site that is laid out with a plausibly sensible design element. I shared a delightfully candid lunch with an Thai academic this weekend, who had earned her PhD. in the States, and who was quick to agree on the lack of basic understanding and reckless ignorance evidenced by many sites.

• 1 year later...

My experience of 2Mbit BuddyBroadband is this:

-> when it is working, its works 'fine' - nice and fast(ish)

-> when it doesn't work, its unusable - barely 100kbps download speeds.

Only problem is that I am now experiencing it 'not working' for about 40% of the time I need to be online.

The 'True Internet' service sucks too most of the time.

If anyone knows of a high speed (reliable) service that works as advertised, please let me know - I'll pay up to 20,000 baht a month for a reliable, fast connection.

:o

Edited by palm

As has been previously stated, the business service plans will have less people sharing the connection and will provide a better experience. That is why they are much more expensive - up to 20 times the price of personal type of service for the same bandwidth.

Most of the problems I have with my ISP, Jasmine, are traceable to the ADSL provider, TT&T, and there hasn't been a lot of downtime - maybe 8-10 hours in 3 years. I am satisfied with them. The service I use at home is JIcompax, advertised as suitable for 2-4 computers. At work we use JI Pro. It is expensive, but is very good, and they have special support staff to look after that service.

http://www.ji-net.com/home/premium_tt.html

Peter

My experience of 2Mbit BuddyBroadband is this:

If anyone knows of a high speed (reliable) service that works as advertised, please let me know - I'll pay up to 20,000 baht a month for a reliable, fast connection.

Thanks for the info on that company. I called them today and I am 'just' outside their catchment area.

I am now considering using satellite as a backup (I used to use this in Europe and the Carribean).

• 1 month later...

Hi All

In the spirit of sharing good news, I am now connected to Buddy Broadbands 1 mb service. I was expecting the worst when I signed up last Friday..... just five days ago, but no all is very good. In fact I would like to say BuddyBB were great, my line was active by Monday morning, but I couldn't connect, maybe because I am using Virtual PC on my Mac to set up the wifi router, so I spent the whole day trying everything I could think of with no luck. A quick call to BuddyBB yesterday and they sent round an engineer this morning who fixed the bad line in my apartment, and asked me to take in the router to have its firmware upgraded at Sogo. The guy at Buddy set everything up, tested it with my powerbok and now I'm good to go. This would have taken weeksw in the UK at least.

500 baht month 1 mb on international sites, test downloads from various sites all hit 100k+ consistently. I am chuffed. Now if I can just figure out P2P I'll be ecstatic