Selling Thailand: Gender, Tourism, and Female Objectification

webfact

Selling Thailand: Gender, Tourism, and Female Objectification
A closer look at the gendered identity of state-created “Thainess.”

By Jasmine Chia

LONDON: -- According to Thailand’s Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, this year’s theme for tourism is “Discover Thainess.” What does “Thainess” look like in a country of 67 million?

According to the Tourism Authority of Thailand’s (TAT) “Discover Thainess” website, it looks female: it is the graceful Thai woman clad in the sabai and phaasin who greets travelers on a gleaming sign in Suvarnabhumi airport, the gentle female Thai rice farmer, and the Thai maiden meditating peacefully. With the exception of Muay Thai, the online contests sponsored by TAT all feature demonstrations from swaying in Thai traditional dance to making Thai-style flower garlands. In a press release, the TAT proudly boasts that it “spotlights essential Thai culture.” The state’s essentialization of Thai identity is exotic, packaged for ready consumption, and undoubtedly feminine.

And this version of Thailand sells. Thirty million tourists visited Thailand this year, as the military continues to crack down on online criticism, enforce their own version of martial law and summon politicians, academics, and activists for attitude adjustments. The gendered identity of state-created “Thainess” is one that has allowed repression to continue without considerable international backlash, particularly with regards to Thailand’s most precious industry.

Full story: http://thediplomat.com/2016/06/selling-thailand-gender-tourism-and-female-objectification/

-- THE DIPLOMAT 2016-07-01

I would rephrase at as more like "Discover Thai-mess" and very few people are fooled by the facades of

young and graceful Thai ladies in their traditional costumes, it was true many years ago, but

now all gone to the dogs and " show me the money you farang " becomes the norm here,

and if it wasn't for the sex tourism, Thailand would get as many tourists coming in as just '

another country with ruins and beaches....

To advertise it like the post says is fine if only it was true bit it isn't. Many people must come to Thailand after seeing the hype only to be very disappointed when they arrive. For some reason the expression "Take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of them self" seems to have significance here. If Thailand cleaned up the country and clamped down of nefarious activities, the people would visit in greater numbers than are presently seen.

Unfortunately as one of the posts on this topic says the whole concept is "Give us your money" and little more. No interest in making the Thailand a world class destination. A destination that is on everyone's bucket list just a greedy commercial (and not a very good commercial) entity that many people having visited don't return to.

We as foreigners, especially those of us who have been living here for a number of years would be very happy to see Thailand become the destination of choice but with the prevailing attitude of many of the people it is sadly becoming the destination to be avoided.

I think some people must live in a bubble.

Yep I'm the first the knock the current government in Thailand but really Thailand is a destination of choice for millions around the world.

Sex tourist are probably 0.1% and are restricted pretty much to known red light districts . All my friends and family that come to visit have a great time with the food culture etc etc and have nothing but praise about the Thai people.

Sure your going to get the dodgy scam artists bent cabbies and tuk tuk drivers but for the sheer volume of tourists these incidents are in the lower range.

Mind you so much has changed in places like Phuket people are looking to alternatives because of the massive number of tourists they attract and the way they have converted from family friendly. To more of an adult themed location.

On the whole Thailand is a great place for a holiday and will be popular for a long long time.

Yep I'm the first the knock the current government in Thailand but really Thailand is a destination of choice for millions around the world.

Sex tourist are probably 0.1% and are restricted pretty much to known red light districts . All my friends and family that come to visit have a great time with the food culture etc etc and have nothing but praise about the Thai people.

Sure your going to get the dodgy scam artists bent cabbies and tuk tuk drivers but for the sheer volume of tourists these incidents are in the lower range.

Mind you so much has changed in places like Phuket people are looking to alternatives because of the massive number of tourists they attract and the way they have converted from family friendly. To more of an adult themed location.

On the whole Thailand is a great place for a holiday and will be popular for a long long time.

Thank you for saving me the time to write pretty much the same thing.

Can't understand that so many on here chose to find so much fault and negativity within Thailand and yet chose to live here.

It must be a truly horrible life they are leading just anger and sadness all rolled up into one.

If you live and it's so bad why not move? The worlds a big place.

If you don't live here it doesn't affect you.

Me I love the lifestyle of golf fishing eating out with friends enjoying the sports and a few beers with mates and travelling around with the Mrs .

Despite all the negative aspects of Thainess, with all those killNess aggressiveNess towards tourists the PM managed to attract 30 million tourists,massive & impressive number one must admit but then again can we have classification by gender and age of those 30 mil? How many of them had happy ending??

Several anti-Thai posts have been removed from this thread.

From the Forum Rules:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Thainess should be avoided at all costs, it's not very pleasant.

What is unpleasant about Thainess?

I rather like and respect it.

You probably like the idea of 'Thainess'. Unfortunately the image bears little resemblance to the reality, now anyway, it might have been different 50 years ago.

Like all marketing, selling Thailand relies upon selling an image in the mind, not the reality. The reality is not always so attractive. Were it so, the posts on TV would be a lot different. People are people and Thailand is not some Shangri-La.

Winnie

Thainess should be avoided at all costs, it's not very pleasant.

What is unpleasant about Thainess?

I rather like and respect it.

You probably like the idea of 'Thainess'. Unfortunately the image bears little resemblance to the reality, now anyway, it might have been different 50 years ago.

Like all marketing, selling Thailand relies upon selling an image in the mind, not the reality. The reality is not always so attractive. Were it so, the posts on TV would be a lot different. People are people and Thailand is not some Shangri-La.

Winnie

"..............Thailand is not some Shangri-La."

Never a truer word, in today's context anyway. The very image shown on the TAT poster is of a pasty faced model, rarely seen outside the malls of Bangkok. The rest is just fluff.

post-9891-0-92213800-1467349849_thumb.jp

This is Shangri-Lapost-9891-0-08089200-1467349664_thumb.jp

Edited by ratcatcher

I would rephrase at as more like "Discover Thai-mess" and very few people are fooled by the facades of

young and graceful Thai ladies in their traditional costumes, it was true many years ago, but

now all gone to the dogs and " show me the money you farang " becomes the norm here,

and if it wasn't for the sex tourism, Thailand would get as many tourists coming in as just '

another country with ruins and beaches....

Take out the sunshine and cheap labor not much else is left. The tourism infrastructure is sadly lacking. Its all about incoming but little out going. To make money you have to spend money. First rule of business. If labor continues to be"used" and not get a fair shake in the future well God knows how things will play out. The family support system is being strained to the limit. I know of 3 couples gone to Korea for a better wage.

Edited by elgordo38

Did anyone actually read the article which, among other things, highlights the contradiction between what is, essentially, state propaganda and reality ?:

"The feminine image works to mask the masculine, militarized nature of political power in Thailand. Few tourists know – or care – about the extent to which the military regime polices freedom of thought in Thailand. It is difficult (for them) to imagine rule by the force beneath the smiling image of a Thai woman with her hands clasped in a wai."

Edited by Enoon

To advertise it like the post says is fine if only it was true bit it isn't. Many people must come to Thailand after seeing the hype only to be very disappointed when they arrive. For some reason the expression "Take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of them self" seems to have significance here. If Thailand cleaned up the country and clamped down of nefarious activities, the people would visit in greater numbers than are presently seen.

Unfortunately as one of the posts on this topic says the whole concept is "Give us your money" and little more. No interest in making the Thailand a world class destination. A destination that is on everyone's bucket list just a greedy commercial (and not a very good commercial) entity that many people having visited don't return to.

We as foreigners, especially those of us who have been living here for a number of years would be very happy to see Thailand become the destination of choice but with the prevailing attitude of many of the people it is sadly becoming the destination to be avoided.

Great post.

I've been here about 10 years. I've had an amazing time, got a brilliant family. But, i'm very glad to be leaving to pastures new with the family. I don;t like the place that much any more for the reasons stated in this post.

I started to use a little family store for my daily bits and bobs about 2 weeks ago. I'm not in every day, most though. Today the cost of 4 cokes and a bag of rice had jumped 50 baht from yesterday. I put the stuff back and walked out.

Did anyone actually read the article which, among other things, highlights the contradiction between what is, essentially, state propaganda and reality ?:

"The feminine image works to mask the masculine, militarized nature of political power in Thailand. Few tourists know or care about the extent to which the military regime polices freedom of thought in Thailand. It is difficult (for them) to imagine rule by the force beneath the smiling image of a Thai woman with her hands clasped in a wai."

I'd rather have an image of a Thai woman dressed in S&M leathers with her hands clasped around a whip.

"Err, woof!"

Now, your talking!

Just went on holiday to Italy. Found the place to be far more money-grabbing - 2 Euros to go for a public toilet in some places, outrageous charges for wi-fi and for leaving luggage at hotel etc, and they are very stingy with the aircon - poor value all round, general unfriendliness, and lots of surly immigrants which erodes the feeling of being in Italy at all.

I was really pleased to get back to Thailand, which in comparison is cheerful, polite, exotic, great value. I see women in traditional dress often enough, and enough cultural performances (at the nearby temple) so playing up that angle is not inaccurate at all. Anyone who objects to putting a beautiful woman on a poster should pack themselves off to live under the Taliban.

First time visitors yes I would agree but many come and dont return