Not all documents returned with declined (3rd) submittal. How concerned should I be?

In short, last December we submitted the application in a small red binder, multiple copies of evidence stapled together, each with their own "headed" section and placed in plastic sleeves.

This is my first visit back and I found some sleeves empty. Missing are:

A, high quality coloured photocopy of my passport and entries into Thailand, letter from my employer stating length of employment, 6 months bank statements for two bank accounts and P60s for last 3 years.

Not sure if the fact it was a third application gives the ECO any more reason to do this. I can understand keeping the application letter but should I be otherwise concerned?

Supporting evidence is often retained and remains on file.

The UKVI used to advise of this, adding that you should supply copies of any original documents you need returning.

I'm in the habit of endorsing originals as such, asking for them to be returned, I also enclose copies of documents I need back, even then they don't always get it right.

• Like 1

Thanks OG. It was the first time it happened so came a bit of a surprise. Does make me worried about getting certified copies of some of her evidence in case they decide to keep them. I wouldnt know where to begin.

We applied for a 3 month holiday. Have decided to reduce it for the next one.

"In short, last December we submitted the application in a small red binder, multiple copies of evidence stapled together, each with their own "headed" section and placed in plastic sleeves."

This is your introduction to us about your situation. which left me with no idea what you were talking about. It mentions nothing of what you were applying for or in what country.

Forgive me if this is a follow on from a previous post that I am not aware of but it just struck me that when applying for anything one must make it absolutely clear what it is one is applying for.

I do hope it all works out good for you.

• Like 2

Its obviously depends on your circumstances but doing these applications in person is often much better.

For the UK it's all done online now.

The actual appointment in Bangkok to hand in paperwork and do biometrics only took my wife about ten minutes a couple of weeks ago.

They also held on to some of our paperwork when they posted the passport/visa back.

After 3 failed applications, my wife and I, like you had everything tabulated in folders but to give our application the best chance, we also engaged Key Visa in Pattaya, surprise, surprise we got the visa in 2 weeks - my wife is now happily back in the UK with me. I got caught out in changes in visa legislation, changes in taxation law and just absolute stupidity on the part of the Home Office in mis-applying the rules over a 4 year period. I'm glad it's over and I have no love for the Home Office, all I could do was make sure I had the strongest case I could field. :-)

In short, last December we submitted the application in a small red binder, multiple copies of evidence stapled together, each with their own "headed" section and placed in plastic sleeves.

This is my first visit back and I found some sleeves empty. Missing are:

A, high quality coloured photocopy of my passport and entries into Thailand, letter from my employer stating length of employment, 6 months bank statements for two bank accounts and P60s for last 3 years.

Not sure if the fact it was a third application gives the ECO any more reason to do this. I can understand keeping the application letter but should I be otherwise concerned?

But did you get the visa?!

Logic tells me that the whole point of supplying a copy of your passport is that they keep it for their records. They did with mine for two VVs and one settlement visa. The same as the copy of the then GF's ID card and her passport. I don't remember anything being kept to do with financial info but I am self employed and slightly different rules apply. It wouldn’t have bothered me if things like it had been kept and it's the reason you give them copies. If you had given them copies of your P60s, maybe they wouldn’t have kept the originals. Concerned? No.

Applying for what?

"In short".

Pithy, key points?

Sure you should be worried, third application!

Given what you have written, what more can really be said.

Perhaps try to get feedback on why the application failed, and then in TVF state circumstances, detail application content, and get advice on where you are going wrong. But TVF is not the best place for that.

"After 3 failed applications, my wife and I, like you had everything tabulated in folders but to give our application the best chance"

Good to read that someone else opted for use of a folder. I have read other's who were against the idea. Our first application was made and submitted via a recommended "successful experienced expert" which caused a whole heap of trouble in more ways than one. I never saw how it was presented. The second my girlfriend replaced evidence with updated documents that I emailed her to print and she submitted it the same way. When I eventually saw the returned submittal with tattered headings and ripped pieces of paper, bound by various elastic bands it made sense to place it in a binder.

But did you get the visa?!

Logic tells me that the whole point of supplying a copy of your passport is that they keep it for their records. They did with mine for two VVs and one settlement visa. The same as the copy of the then GF's ID card and her passport. I don't remember anything being kept to do with financial info but I am self employed and slightly different rules apply. It wouldn’t have bothered me if things like it had been kept and it's the reason you give them copies. If you had given them copies of your P60s, maybe they wouldn’t have kept the originals. Concerned? No.

Unfortunately she didn't, as per the topic heading. All the evidence they kept of mine were copies and from reading your post and Old Git's I've come to accept that some evidence would be kept but it was the keeping of the financial items that prompted me to add the topic. Thank you for your reply.

Applying for what?

"In short".

Pithy, key points?

Sure you should be worried, third application!

Given what you have written, what more can really be said.

Perhaps try to get feedback on why the application failed, and then in TVF state circumstances, detail application content, and get advice on where you are going wrong. But TVF is not the best place for that.

Thank you for the thoughts and your reply. The topic was concerned with documents not being returned rather than the application itself.

I did get private feedback on the refusal letter from 2 well respected TVF members back in January. However once again my girlfriend's circumstances have changed dramatically since and the feedback will be taken and adapted to suit the changes.

"In short, last December we submitted the application in a small red binder, multiple copies of evidence stapled together, each with their own "headed" section and placed in plastic sleeves."

This is your introduction to us about your situation. which left me with no idea what you were talking about. It mentions nothing of what you were applying for or in what country.

Forgive me if this is a follow on from a previous post that I am not aware of but it just struck me that when applying for anything one must make it absolutely clear what it is one is applying for.

I do hope it all works out good for you.

The clue was in the topic header. I appreciate the response, we both hope it works out too. Thank you for the post.

When I do my wife's ILR I am going to use a comb binder to stop them pulling everything out of the lever arch and putting everything back jumbled up leaving me with the job of sorting the mess out. Even now I am not sure if I got all my documents back.

I thought that these people were oh so busy so why do they have the time to mess about with everything. Unless they just dropped it on the floor and thought what the hell.