Govt has contingency plan should referendum fail

rooster59

Govt has contingency plan should referendum fail

Thammarat Thadaphrom

post-247607-0-67086500-1467521150_thumb.

BANGKOK, 3 July 2016 (NNT) – The government has prepared a response should the draft constitution fail to pass the referendum.

Prime Minister and head of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha said today the public has the right to accept or reject the draft constitution while the government and other bodies of reform will accept the decision of the majority regardless of the outcome.

He said the government will implement a contingency plan if the constitution is turned down.

He also asked all sides to work together in achieving reform. He said there remain some people who choose not to cooperate as well as those who try to instigate conflicts among the people.

He pointed out that without reform, everything will go back to the way it was before the current government took over the administration in 2014.

Lastly, he asserted that the international community well understands the ongoing political transition and has praised the government’s effort to restore democracy in Thailand.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-07-03 footer_n.gif

"Prime Minister and head of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha said today the public has the right to accept or reject the draft constitution while the government and other bodies of reform will accept the decision of the majority regardless of the outcome."

Sorry, don't believe a word of what you're saying.

"He said the government will implement a contingency plan if the constitution is turned down."

So, what's the plan?

"He also asked all sides to work together in achieving reform."

I order for that to happen you have to allow people to express their opinions, even if they don't agree with you.

"He pointed out that without reform, everything will go back to the way it was before the current government took over the administration in 2014."

Yes, but with fairly free and fair elections and democracy (albeit a flawed one) there is at least a chance that Thai society can evolve. With the dinosaurs stepping in whenever they feel threatened there is no chance at all.

"Lastly, he asserted that the international community well understands the ongoing political transition and has praised the government’s effort to restore democracy in Thailand."

5555555! Dear "PM", just because something is repeated a thousand times doesn't make it true.

From Prachatai http://www.prachatai.com/english/node/6239 comparing the constitution business with the tiger trading business. It amused me.

The so-called ‘Constitution Temple’ has for years carried on the business of parading ‘live’ democratic ideals which foreign tourists could view for 500 baht a head. For an extra payment, tourists could ‘feed’ baby human rights with a special pabulum produced by the temple. They could even have their photographs taken with the head of a fully-grown constitution lying in their lap, again for an extra fee.

Critics, however, have long argued that the temple was a fraud, and that what was being touted as ‘democracy’ was in fact just a sanitized version of the real thing, possibly drugged by monks and temple attendants. Far from its claims of ‘conserving’ democracy and democratic principles, the temple was accused of furthering the cause of totalitarianism.

Suspicions were raised even further when a law to govern a referendum on this constitution was worded so vaguely that it seemed that all discussion of the draft charter was made illegal. With public concern growing, officials raided the temple to save any democratic principles or human rights that might still be alive. During the operation to remove the captive rights and freedoms to safety, officials made a number of disturbing discoveries.

"and has praised the government’s effort to restore democracy in Thailand."

​Actually the international community has strongly criticized the "government's" failure to restore democracy in Thailand.

More praise and understanding from the international community ! Funnily enough we never hear from anyone except Thai officials.

So what's Plan B, tighten control even more ?

Plan B!....starts with T and ends with anks!

" He pointed out that without reform, everything will go back to the way it was before the current government took over the administration in 2014. "

I think that may be what a lot of Thais would like to see .

Plan 'B', more of plan 'A'....

Or, it could be worse, from 'father knows best' self-emplaced PM.

He'll figure; "if the sheeple don't do as I say, then I'll compel them to do it. Before I gave lip service to a free press. Since the sheeple didn't vote for a new Constitution, they don't deserve to get a free press. So there. If any one asks, I'm doing all this for the betterment of the country. Those who oppose me are seeking unrest, therefore they are criminals and we will treat them as such."

More praise and understanding from the international community ! Funnily enough we never hear from anyone except Thai officials.

So what's Plan B, tighten control even more ?

This as in many statements is for domestic consumption only.

Reckon that's why he hasn't named names and country's that have "praised" the gov't for it's efforts in returning Thailand to democracy...cheesy.gif

Prayut style governing: tons of money and concern for military build-ups, stifling discussion.

Zero concern or funding for the natural environment.

Re; the environment and natural habitat/species, Thailand has gone from being sick to being on death-support (a new term I just made up). How many wild beasts exist in Thailand? Nearly zero, and that includes dugongs which used to inhabit coasts. A person could walk all over Thailand for 25 years and never see a wild mammal bigger than a rat.

The contingency plan isn't for Thailand or its people, it's for Prayut and his cohorts themselves. Maybe he'll have a plane with engines running at the airport ready for takeoff so they can fly off to their retirement villas in China never to be seen or heard from again.smile.png