Thai commercial banks to boost quality of service

webfact

Commercial banks to boost quality of service

cb.jpg

BANGKOK, 4 July 2016 (NNT) – Thailand-based commercial banks have expressed a determination to boost the quality of their services to benefit the public.

Secretary-General of the Thai Bankers’ Association Kobsak Duangdee, has announced that the association and branches of foreign banks in Thailand have recently worked together on the raising of service standards for their retail clients.

Mr. Kobsak said that all aspects of banking, including loans and deposits, electronic cards and other services have been discussed, in response to the Bank of Thailand’s policy to promote higher standards of service in the banking and finance sector.

He added that the new practices will help lower the number of complaints from consumers while encouraging banks to step up the quality of their customer care services.

The TBA Secretary-General went on to say that the new standards will help all banks serve clients more efficiently and cater to their true needs, while suggesting that the details of changes in the services provided by each bank, can be found on their websites and at the Financial Consumer Protection Center at the Bank of Thailand.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-07-04 footer_n.gif

1. Charge low income people a much lower, much more reasonable fee to get / renew an ATM card. Right now it's half a days salary for a very large % of account holders.

2. In fact banks make enormous income from charging fees for each usage of ATM cards, so is it even ethical for banks to charge issue / renewal fees?

3. Punish banks and bank staff who tell new customers:

- ATM cards are now compulsory in Thailand. Totally incorrect.

- Banks don't have application forms in English because it's against Thai law to have forms in English.

- The bank staff will complete the application form later and also push customers to sign blank forms.

4. Thailand urgently needs processes to check lots of things connected to consumer safety and consumer satisfaction etc. Banks (and many more industries / professions) should be subject to a publicly managed watchdog including a team of 'secret shopper' folks.

Edited by scorecard

1. Charge low income people a much lower, much more reasonable fee to get / renew an ATM card. Right now it's half a days salary for a very large % of account holders.

2. In fact banks make enormous income from charging fees for each usage of ATM cards, so is it even ethical for banks to charge issue / renewal fees.

- ATM cards are now compulsory in Thailand.

- Banks don't have application forms in English because it's against Thai law to have forms in English.

- The bank staff will complete the application form later and push customers to sign blank forms.

".........so is it even ethical for banks to charge............"

Those two words should never appear in the same sentence. Ethical bank? oxy + moron.

Duangdee is another hi-so Thai living in la-la land.

Banks improving servicescheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Go to a different branch of the same bank and get told 2 completely different things.

Recently my wife went to an ATM with my card, her phone rang so she is too busy yakking on the phone, leaves my card in the machine.

Next day she goes to local branch, my husband needs a new ATM card.

We do not do ATM cards now he has to have a new debit card cost 1600 baht for 1 year.

We went to same bank different branch. Yes you can have a new ATM card 400 baht.

Go to a different branch of the same bank and get told 2 completely different things.

Recently my wife went to an ATM with my card, her phone rang so she is too busy yakking on the phone, leaves my card in the machine.

We do not do ATM cards now he has to have a new debit card cost 1600 baht for 1 year.

We went to same bank different branch. Yes you can have a new ATM card 400 baht.

Are you saying a replacement card for an ATM debit is 1600 THB?

My wishes for a better service:

1. Make it possible to identify the name of the person who made a money transfer into another account.

2. Make e-banking at no charge. Especially since the labor intensive counter service is also free or less expensive.

So they announce they wish to improve service, that's a laugh, they couldn't do much worse than they are so only one way to go.

Wife and I went too one bank and asked for my name to be added to her credit card, 40 minuet wait to call my number, then another 40 for forms then back home to confirm online.

Why do you think there are so many chairs in a bank?

Yes that is what i was charged by my bank.

Due to defamation laws i cannot name the bank that government workers get their salaries paid into

Yes that is what i was charged by my bank.

Due to defamation laws i cannot name the bank that government workers get their salaries paid into

"Yes that (1600 THB)is what i was charged by my bank."

So you were offered a card for 400 baht but chose to take the 1600 baht one? Don't worry about defamation laws, Thaivisa will delete it if it's likely to cause a problem. Which branch of which bank charges 1600B for a debit card, if indeed there is one?

Time to change to a bank that doesn't charge for replacement cards, like Bangkok Bank.

2. In fact banks make enormous income from charging fees for each usage of ATM cards, so is it even ethical for banks to charge issue / renewal fees?

- The bank staff will complete the application form later and also push customers to sign blank forms.

4. Thailand urgently needs processes to check lots of things connected to consumer safety and consumer satisfaction etc. Banks (and many more industries / professions) should be subject to a publicly managed watchdog including a team of 'secret shopper' folks.

ATM cards should be free, it is a way of ensuring you remain a customer of the bank. Cut the fee for withdrawing money from your account when you move into a different location within the country. The banks have a full network that they pay for irrespective of the number of users and is included in their outgoing expenses.

At present, maybe others have different experiences, it is impossible to move your account to a new branch if you move location. This should be easy. If you have to open a new account there is a chance you will go to a competing bank then your old bank loses your custom.

ATM cards should be free, it is a way of ensuring you remain a customer of the bank. Cut the fee for withdrawing money from your account when you move into a different location within the country. The banks have a full network that they pay for irrespective of the number of users and is included in their outgoing expenses.

At present, maybe others have different experiences, it is impossible to move your account to a new branch if you move location. This should be easy. If you have to open a new account there is a chance you will go to a competing bank then your old bank loses your custom.

Seems to me that fees for ATM cards is just another example of bank greed. Make customers pay a fee but in reality give nothing totally specific in terms of value to the customer, and especially since 99% of all transactions scoop in revenue to the bank.

I've used this specific point in MBA lectures about ethics - 'good ethics dictates that the customer can see something of value for the price / charges levied.'

And it also seems that bank greed with no hesitation is now par for the course worldwide.

Edited by scorecard

My replacement card cost me 100 bahts. They are doing this make over to reduce the number of complaints well that should tell you something.

Edited by elgordo38

Hope it's just a rumor BUT..

Have heard from a "Usually Reliable Source" that Thai BANKS may soon start charging customers for "parking their money."

Instead of being paid a tad of INTEREST on our funds in the bank, we may have to pay a "safe-keeping fee" of some kind.

As I said, the info from a "usually reliable source." Anyone else know anything about it?

How about changing atm's to only require swipping the card and not inserting it for the duration of your transactions? Cards are not forgotten and left in the atm nor automatically "eaten" by the atm. Citibank atm's only require the card to be inserted and immediately withdrawn by cardholder before conducting any bank transactions.