Thai Police optimistic that a rapist will soon be arrested

webfact

Police optimistic that a rapist will soon be arrested

79_Rape-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Police are optimistic that they will be able to arrest a man who raped a female student at a public toilet in Bangna area over the weekend pretty soon.

Acting commissioner of Metropolitan Police, Pol Lt-Gen Sanit Mahathavorn said Monday investigation into the case had progressed satisfactorily and he expected a good news in the next couple of days.

He said that since the case poses a threat to public safety he had instructed police investigators to try to arrest the perpetrator as quick as possible.

The acting commissioner, however, warned members of the public, women in particular, to exercise caution the next time they use a public toilet by avoiding a deserted public toilet.

He explained that rapists or potential rapists would seize an opportunity to strike at their victims when they use a deserted public toilet.

Meanwhile, Pol Maj-Gen Somprasong Yentuam, commander of 5th division of Metropolitan Police, claimed that police found one suspect whose description matches the description given by witnesses and the victim.

The public toilet in question has been sealed off and is to be demolished.

Meanwhile in Saraburi’s Kaeng Khoi district, police called off a planned re-enactment of rape case as dozens of angry people in the neighbourhood of an apartment where the victim was killed turned up to witness the even with some of them holding placards demanding death penalty for rapists.

Police brought the suspect, 27-year old Chatri Ruamsoonnern, to the scene but kept him in a van after several of the onlookers tried to approach the vehicle. Police later whisked him back to Kaeng Khoi district police.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-optimistic-rapist-will-soon-arrested/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-05

Police are optimistic that a rapist would soon be arrested.

Or any man they think that they can fit up for the crime.

Why would "witnesses" (note it is a plural) and the victim go along with a "fit up"?

Think Colin has a point. It surprising what pressure and money can do.

Why would "witnesses" (note it is a plural) and the victim go along with a "fit up"?

Could be a mix up between lakorn and real life.wink.png

On a serious note, the Thai government should start with revamping the lakorn and its scripts. In almost all the shows, we never see the rapists being punished. The rapist would likely be the male lead in the show, and the female lead, the victim. After the rape, they would fall in love.

The lakorns have made impressionable Thai males believe that it's okay to force yourself on the girl if you "truly love" her.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean there isn't someone out to get you.

They already have one in custody. The re-enactment should really be something. What does re-enactment actually prove but stress for the victim providing their not dead. They are demolishing this toilet as a gesture of symbolism no less what about thousands of other similar toilets? Its all about re-enactment, symbolism, flavor of the month crimes its all a media event not genuine policing.

After speaking to my wife, I am pretty sure the normal Thai citizen would love to see the 27 yr old murder/rapist publicly executed. After I read about the story I saw he had down a similar crime before and only got a 2 yr sentence I was shocked. If they are not willing to execute how about castration and longer sentences such as 15-20yrs. Thailand really does need to sort out its idea of what jail time should be dealt out compared to the crime committed. Are those two old people who were caught picking mushrooms still in jail now after they were handed a 10 yr sentence? The mind boggles!!!!

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean there isn't someone out to get you.

The walls have ears! laugh.png

What was that you said?

Who's he staring at? unsure.png

What are those sirens I can hear??blink.png

After speaking to my wife, I am pretty sure the normal Thai citizen would love to see the 27 yr old murder/rapist publicly executed. After I read about the story I saw he had down a similar crime before and only got a 2 yr sentence I was shocked. If they are not willing to execute how about castration and longer sentences such as 15-20yrs. Thailand really does need to sort out its idea of what jail time should be dealt out compared to the crime committed. Are those two old people who were caught picking mushrooms still in jail now after they were handed a 10 yr sentence? The mind boggles!!!!

You seem a little confused. This rapist hasn't been caught yet and the victim gave a description so "27 yr old murder/rapist" probably relates to another crime.

Amazing how often Thai Police can predict "good news" within a couple of days once the media gets involved... And how they have someone that matches the description. I hope they have more than that and those couple of days aren't used to wear down an innocent suspect.

Makes me wonder how many innocent people are in Thai jails doing time for the sake of a few quick arrests.

....when they will start enforcing real charges.....against all these violent and sick crimes.....maybe things will begin to change a little...

...consequences of their criminal actions....unheard of ....???

...'Karma is just for the next life'....or....'not for that particular person'...for whatever warped reason in his/her mind...???

Thai police are always optimistic about arresting someone for something - it's a perpetual refrain.

Thai police are the Mr Micawbers of the law-enforcement world, 'hourly expecting something to turn up'. The reality appears to be less rosy.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

You seem a little confused. This rapist hasn't been caught yet and the victim gave a description so "27 yr old murder/rapist" probably relates to another crime.

Indeed... Paragraph 8.... Meanwhile in Saraburi' Kaeng Khoi district....

Edited by farcanell

Optimistic? Did they ask him to turn himself in? Telling woman not to used public toilets because the police are not willing to do their job? Because rape is not a big deal? They want women to wear burkas, be paranoid, piss in their pants? Sad state of affairs

Paranoid negative Thai/ RTP bashing is no surprise though.facepalm.gif

I was going to say the Burmese better run for cover, a thai would never do this kind of crime! Stab a disabled guy sure bit not rape.

Paranoid negative Thai/ RTP bashing is no surprise though.facepalm.gif

Change the tune for goodness' sake...

Accusations of 'Thai-bashing' are just politically-correct BS. It's tedious having to plough through the nonsense.

Winnie

The police have already identified a prime suspect in the bathroom rape case:

http://news.sanook.com/2025082/

Maybe they got a lucky tip from someone who recognized the guy in the CCTV video, but I'm starting to wonder if police aren't starting to use facial recognition software to cross-reference CCTV footage with identity card photos and other data bases in order to track criminals down.

Anyway, looks like good progress is being made to solve this case.

Edited by Gecko123