English-thai Translating Thingy

Wizzard of Oz

At the discussion group, there was a couple of chinese girls who had a pocket sized electronic thingy that you can type in english and it showed the chinese equivalent.

So they just gave it to an English speaking person who typed in the English word they didn't understand then it would come up with a meaning in Chinese for them. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can get one of those where I could give it to a Thai person to type in the Thai word and it would give me an English meaning when I didn't understand and they didn't know the English meaning?

Maybe better if I don't look like some wanky rich pharang flaunting his money.

Can anyone tell me where to get an english-to-thai pocket dictionary and a thai-to-english pocket dictionary. Though both books might be too big to fit in my pockets =/

Pretty much any bookshop will supply these (Suriwong Book Centre, DK Book shop, some of the secondhand bookshops in the city) - if you or the other person can already read Thai script, the SE-ED pocket dictionaries are good, if for you and you can't read Thai script, The Thai-English English-Thai dictionary from Benjawan Poomsan Becker is good as it has 3 sections - English - Thai, Phonetic Thai to English and Thai Script - English.

You can also buy electronic Thai-English dictionaries at places like Tesco Lotus and IT City @ Kad Suan Kaew - they're sold under the brand name 'CyberDict'. They're not cheap, so would recommend you try it first before you buy.

:o

Can anyone tell me where to get an english-to-thai pocket dictionary and a thai-to-english pocket dictionary.

Lonely Planet puts out a shirt-pocket size pharase book which includes many words. In Thai, English, and phonetics. Handy for simple often used conversations. Try Suriwong Book store or LP online.

Edited by mongoose

You can also buy electronic Thai-English dictionaries at places like Tesco Lotus and IT City @ Kad Suan Kaew - they're sold under the brand name 'CyberDict'. They're not cheap, so would recommend you try it first before you buy.

Thais call them "Talking Dicks". :o

hehe right... 'mee dick yai chai mai?' is definitely a double entendre :D

one friend who didn't like the joke ended up using the formal word 'pot-ju-nan-nu-grom' round me instead! I guess she thought I wasn't very riap-roy!

Rich

• 1 month later...

one friend who didn't like the joke ended up using the formal word 'pot-ju-nan-nu-grom' round me instead! I guess she thought I wasn't very riap-roy!

Rich

CyberDict Talking Dictionaries are good - go for the higher models & becareful where you buy them.

We have the CyberDict8 - does Chinese / Japanese / Korean / German / Spanish / Italian / Dutch / French & has room for a little English. Comes with a stack of dictionaries built in (medical / technology / etc...) and is pretty good with translations (duh - that's what it's for!)

11,000B in Pantip Plaza (Pratunum, BKK) approx 20,000B from the US & about 30,000B in Australia.

Actually bought it for my benefit & Thai-wife abducted it claiming it as hers. It gets a damned good workout.

Rich

CyberDict Talking Dictionaries are good - go for the higher models & becareful where you buy them.

We have the CyberDict8 - does Chinese / Japanese / Korean / German / Spanish / Italian / Dutch / French & has room for a little English. Comes with a stack of dictionaries built in (medical / technology / etc...) and is pretty good with translations (duh - that's what it's for!)

11,000B in Pantip Plaza (Pratunum, BKK) approx 20,000B from the US & about 30,000B in Australia.

Actually bought it for my benefit & Thai-wife abducted it claiming it as hers. It gets a damned good workout.

Suriwong Books on Sridonchai has a big selection (of "talking dicks")

Wow, this is an old thread.

I ended up getting a pocked dictionary (book that is), which is so so and a touch too big to carry everywhere.

While I'm learning thai, I'm now wondering about this again (only cuz i someone resurrected this thread =P). 11k seems like a lot though, and I wonder if a cheaper one will be crapski ...

Edited by Wizzard of Oz