Hi! We're based in Singapore and moving to bangkok in July. Is it possible to bring our Filipino maid? What visa requriements? Someone told me she'd have to exit and re-enter every 3 months, is this so? is this legal? how much would this exit-re-entry trip cost?

In case we can't bring her and have to hire a local maid, how much can we expect to pay them? Is it true that even live-in maids work only from 8am to 5pm? That we have to pay overtime for work done after 5? r there any maids that will work "full days"?

Thanks

Is it true that even live-in maids work only from 8am to 5pm? That we have to pay overtime for work done after 5? r there any maids that will work "full days"?

Thanks

Gee, maybe you need to hire an orphan or someone who has no relatives?

Isn't 8 to 5 close to a "full day"?

Spit out the extra baht if you want to hire someone round the clock and leave them with no time for themselves.... :o

Do you own a cotton plantation???

In case we can't bring her and have to hire a local maid, how much can we expect to pay them? Is it true that even live-in maids work only from 8am to 5pm? That we have to pay overtime for work done after 5? r there any maids that will work "full days"?

Local maids are not that expensive, expect to pay between 3500/7000 baht. Be prepared to make a detailed job description for the maid, anything that not in the job description may be done but charged seperately. Make sure you write in in Thai, local maids do not understand English. Be prepared to hire a translator if you hire anyone from what the Thais call 'exotic destinations' such as Isarn or hilltribe areas.

Overtime is more expensive, live in maids work exactly till five and not five second longer as the biological clock ticks in and sleep starts immediately, overtime has to be paid for anything done after five. Sleeping at work is a major issue, if you inquire why the laundry hasn't been done and the answer is "saaleep" , coffee may bring a solution.

I do know one phillipino maid in Bangkok, she goes out every couple of months for a new tourist visa.

good luck,

Dutchy

BTW, where did you get that information about live in maids....?

Spit out the extra baht if you want to hire someone round the clock and leave them with no time for themselves.... 

Whoa! I don't need your sarcasm, thank you very much. Sounds like you got something against anyone who's done or does things differently. I resent your insinuation that we are slave drivers working our maids to death.

What I'm used to is someone who's simply more flexible with their time. Who's not a clock watcher but who works till the job is done. Currently our maid's workday begins with breakfast at 7:30AM and ends after serving dinner at 6:30PM and cleaning up after. That for me is a full day. Even those of us who have office jobs work as much and as long, sometimes even longer. That said, if in case we have dinner at 7:30, for instance, and she finishes later than usual, she doesn't demand to be paid extra. Now that I know that's not the way maids work in Bangkok, I'll know to adjust my expectations.

Dutchy, my friend who lives in Bangkok told me but she wasn't very clear about it.

To those who answered my query, thanks for the info.

Spit out the extra baht if you want to hire someone round the clock and leave them with no time for themselves.... 

Whoa! I don't need your sarcasm, thank you very much. Sounds like you got something against anyone who's done or does things differently. I resent your insinuation that we are slave drivers working our maids to death.

What I'm used to is someone who's simply more flexible with their time. Who's not a clock watcher but who works till the job is done. Currently our maid's workday begins with breakfast at 7:30AM and ends after serving dinner at 6:30PM and cleaning up after. That for me is a full day. Even those of us who have office jobs work as much and as long, sometimes even longer. That said, if in case we have dinner at 7:30, for instance, and she finishes later than usual, she doesn't demand to be paid extra. Now that I know that's not the way maids work in Bangkok, I'll know to adjust my expectations.

Dutchy, my friend who lives in Bangkok told me but she wasn't very clear about it.

To those who answered my query, thanks for the info.

Actually Penzman is correct. Hong Kong and Singapore wealthy individuals are permitted to have legal slave filipino maids. this is sad but true. these are places with more massas than you can shake a stick at. A friend of mine married his maid so it was all worth her while as she tapped into a multi millionaire. to those less fortunate, it's a grind but they get a nice place to stay with 1 day off per week.