Lightning raid on Bangkok minivans - drivers look like they are going to war

rooster59

. . . not only all that, as far as I know, mini van drivers greatest faults and crimes concerning the general public

do not seem to have much to do with the weapons they are carrying but the weapons they are driving.

The way a lot of these guys drive is so dangerous, they make hand guns, knives and baseball bats look tame.

Statistically and one of you guys might have more on this than I do, but how about comparing the deaths and accidents

involving their vans with their weapons.

I think BIB have this issue by the wrong end of the stick. Regulating and educating these guys is perhaps too difficult. Or is it?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Policeman holding the sword loves having his photo taken.

Many times i have seen him when they are showing wrong doers.

He's a Thai. They're all constantly on the look out for their 15 minutes of fame. And they develop a taste for it - like this guy. They have to get their weekly fix of admiration. Comes from having a low self-esteem. Rightly.

Winnie

a great action. well done.

this 'catch' highlights serious risks both travellers

and other road users are exposed to travelling in mini vans. rub the driver on the wrong side

for any reason and you may see a blade of knife,sword or axe or even the nozzle

of a gun staring at your face.

yet the operators of mini van need some defence equipment too.regulate acceptable

weapon, or a range thereof which the drivers may carry on board for their own security.

also regulate the mini van industry as an alternate public transport option.

mini vans are a popular mode of transport as existing public network is not adequately

efficient.

Why should minivans drivers have a weapon for defence ? So should the passenger had a weapon for defence and the car drivers also ?

carrying a base ball bat in a public utility van it reasonable to assume it's for aggression,base ball is not the national game in Thailand violence seems to be and after all its a favourite tool for thugs, also a knife if you carry one, in the UK with a blade more than 3 inches then its up to 7 years in the nick mate' they don't carry pen knives here as shown many times' so what's the penalty for carrying one in your country

i seen these untouchables (van driers) strut around at these muddy holes they call bus stops they treat there customers like cattle, wait till the last minute for the last fare then drive at break neck speed to the next pick up point,

i hate to use them and only do as a last resort

and as far as you carrying a knife around with you at all times then your time will come, and i think you should take a long look in the mirror and ask yourself why you are carrying it really, the most dangerous man in a confrontation is a COWARD WITHT A KNIFE

How do they know that a baseball bat is a weapon?

I carry a knife everywhere, very handy, but I don't consider it a weapon, it is a very handy tool.

Surely these guys must have shown some aggression with these so called weapons to actually call them weapons. Otherwise kids going to baseball should also be arrested for carrying their Louisville slugger.

All in favour of a crackdown on the carrying of weapons of all sorts. Thais are not good at anger management and tend to act first and thing afterwards. Give them a knife, club or gun and you are inviting the kind of mayhem we see makes headlines every day in the newspapers.

Thai culture. Never gonna change.

The police would never have instigated this raid (it cuts in their bribe income) without the Army pushing it. Hoo Ray for a coupe every five or six years or so.This one has shown the best results.

weeding out the competition wink.png

They are just the crime flavor of the month everybody must take a turn to make to BIB look like their doing an outstanding job. It spreads the fear factor around its like the old TV song "Their coming for you bad boys bad boys" I wonder what the flavor of the month is for August? Yes everybody gets a turn.

15 years for gun that can kill

1,000THB fine for knife that can kill

That sounds like a reasonable balanced deterant........NOT

Exactly what crossed my mine.

The UK has less of a problem with guns but knives are a big problem so the Government started to get tough after realising they are deadly weapons (dohh!). So, now if you get caught carrying a knife in the UK you can face up to 5 years in the slammer.\

If it was 20 pound fine (1000 baht) I think every gang member in London would be wearing them slung to their hips in full view..

A rethink is needed I believe

Do you pay 70 pence for a fried rice in UK?Like for like would be about 168 quid.I don't know if that would deter people or not.

I carry a knife everywhere, very handy, but I don't consider it a weapon, it is a very handy tool.

Surely these guys must have shown some aggression with these so called weapons to actually call them weapons. Otherwise kids going to baseball should also be arrested for carrying their Louisville slugger.

How do they know a baseball bat carried in a minivan is a weapon?

Yeah we all know the drivers are into major league, that or it's used for adjusting the engine valve clearances.

So no more baseball bats for protecting yourselves against soi dogs. It's an offence to be spotted with one.

Switch to tennis rackets.

I suspect these drivers were former students of those infamous vocational institues...or fathers of such students!

what an incredibly bigoted and racist comment to make. You just love to stereotype don't you, it's something you do frequently.

Unfortunately there are patterns related to behavior which as much as we would like to ignore it we can not

Policeman holding the sword loves having his photo taken.

Many times i have seen him when they are showing wrong doers.

He's a Thai. They're all constantly on the look out for their 15 minutes of fame. And they develop a taste for it - like this guy. They have to get their weekly fix of admiration. Comes from having a low self-esteem. Rightly.

Winnie

See you got your 1 minutes worth in,but you are a farang and that's ok.

Yeah we all know the drivers are into major league, that or it's used for adjusting the engine valve clearances.

Yeah especially Thais. They simply love playing baseball every Sunday.

I'm surprised more drugs weren't found -- that actually makes me feel more comfortable about taking minibuses. You often hear stories of bus and minibus and taxi drivers being high on meth so that they can stay awake for their long shifts. Only two urine tests positive for drugs is a positive sign it seems. But high or not, a lot of these guys drive like total lunatics.

The UK has less of a problem with guns but knives are a big problem so the Government started to get tough after realising they are deadly weapons (dohh!). So, now if you get caught carrying a knife in the UK you can face up to 5 years in the slammer.\

If it was 20 pound fine (1000 baht) I think every gang member in London would be wearing them slung to their hips in full view..

Well, I am absolutely amused to see you comparing UK with Thailand. Same bunch of morons

I'm simply saying that the UK has realised that knives are extremely dangerous and need to be controlled almost as much as guns. It took them a long time, but Thailand has not got there yet, nothing more.

Do you pay 70 pence for a fried rice in UK?Like for like would be about 168 quid.I don't know if that would deter people or not.

It was a tongue in cheek comment, not literally. However in answer to your question I guess the equivalent would be about 3.50 for a fried rice, so that would make the fine 5000 baht,, (100 quid) so no, it would not be a deterrent. 5 years in the slammer certainly is though.

Apparently what the gang leaders have done is recruited minors to carry their weapons for them. If they need them they hand them over, of not the minor holds onto them at all times. Then if the Police search the minor and find it there is little they can do because its just a kid,, pathetic people.

So no more baseball bats for protecting yourselves against soi dogs. It's an offence to be spotted with one.

Switch to tennis rackets.

I use an Bt8 disposable lighter.

But he is smart and totally right, unlike you it seems...

The right penalty would be to burn their truck before they burn anyway in an accident with passengers inside !

I suspect these drivers were former students of those infamous vocational institues...or fathers of such students!

what an incredibly bigoted and racist comment to make. You just love to stereotype don't you, it's something you do frequently.

Edited by Wheniseeyouiclickspam

over the years vocational students continually are involved in armed disputes using knives and guns and many are injured some killed. this is fact not fiction. vocational schools are infamous for violence among students.

therefore to extrapolate the van drivers may have been vocational students and or fathers of such seems far from unreasonable. the term "suspect" was used and not "are" there also may be a tongue in cheek component.

would it be racist and bigoted to suspect the children of mahidol university professors may be doing well academically and that their parents may have also been good students?

Edited by atyclb

Edited by Chris Lawrence